Ollie's Demeanor On Sideline | The Boneyard

Ollie's Demeanor On Sideline

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

Ollie's demeanor and coaching in-game looks much better the last 2 weeks. The team is playing better and Ollie's change has a lot do with it. He is reading the games better. Kentan had a Roscoe type performance last night. He is capable of continuing that throughout the season. No team is that good this year in college basketball. If we make the NCAA tournament, I like our chances of winning it all. Our defense is good enough. If Rodney can play at that level, an one of Juwan Durham, Amida Brimah or Enoch steps up in the post along with Kentan doing what he does on the boards, with Adams progressing, watch out...

P.S. HUSKIES LOOK HUNGRY AGAIN!

Reaction Score
Ollie's demeanor and coaching in-game looks much better the last 2 weeks. The team is playing better and Ollie's change has a lot do with it. He is reading the games better. Kentan had a Roscoe type performance last night. He is capable of continuing that throughout the season. No team is that good this year in college basketball. If we make the NCAA tournament, I like our chances of winning it all. Our defense is good enough. If Rodney can play at that level, an one of Juwan Durham, Amida Brimah or Enoch steps up in the post along with Kentan doing what he does on the boards, with Adams progressing, watch out...

This narrative that Ollies "demeanor" or "passion" 0n the sideline is poor during bad games and good during wins needs to stop. He's shown the same passion from day 1. The guy bleeds blue.

There was a poster who was at Maui (I believe huskyharry) who said that Ollies fire was evident throughout the games and that he was even physically moving players in some positions during the game from the sideline. Yet There were posters who were calling for ollies head during Maui.

I know that many people consider themselves basketball experts but most of their analysis boils down to "I blame Ollie because he was sitting too much" or Ollie is terrible at getting the team ready or I hate ollies sad face. When the team plays well it's "man Ollie was really fired up for today's game," when in fact his demeanor and passion have never changed since day 1.

Ollie is a great coach period. He always has one of the best defensive teams in the country and his offense got players a lot of open shots yesterday while coaching a young and depleted team.

jho

Reaction Score
IMG_1734.jpg

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm just happy to see him have emotion on the sidelines.

That sitting down thing with sad puppy dog eyes kills me.

I knock Ollie, but I also believe in Ollie. I know he can recruit, now he has to find himself as a coach and he has to get some of these kids into the NBA to keep the recruits coming

It took JC a few years to figure things out at Northeastern, it took K a few years at Dook, I'm willing to give KO time to find his mojo

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There was a poster who was at Maui (I believe huskyharry) who said that Ollies fire was evident throughout the games and that he was even physically moving players in some positions during the game from the sideline. Yet There were posters who were calling for ollies head during Maui.

We sat a couple of rows behind the UConn bench in Maui and Kevin was going insane on the sideline all game, every game. The narrative that he has been sedate this year is nonsense.

Reaction Score
This post demonstrates all of the problems with this board so well (or maybe the greatness of it).

"If we make the NCAA Tournament, I like our chances of winning it well" is just so...so telling. We played ten minutes of good basketball in that game, which is about the same as all of the other games this season. Syracuse just happened to be worse. I'm happy to get the win, but there are probably rough times ahead, and those who are able to maintain perspective after a game like that have a better chance of doing so down the road.

I posted a couple weeks ago that I was fed up with Ollie. It was pointed, maybe too much so, but it wasn't without thought, and it wasn't particularly reactionary. A couple weeks later I mostly feel the same way, but I'm probably also going to feel the same way in four weeks when we around with Tulane. This is a process that isn't going as smoothly as I would have hoped, but with Ollie, the good still far outweighs the bad and we are very fortunate to have him.

Reaction Score
Watching the games from your couch limits your vision to whatever the camera editor chooses to show. Maybe they just like the Crying Ollie Face (I know we don't) vs the Standing Yelling Ollie. All reality TV, including real time sports games, are edited in the sense someone else is deciding what we see and what we don't see.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Watching the games from your couch limits your vision to whatever the camera editor chooses to show. Maybe they just like the Crying Ollie Face (I know we don't) vs the Standing Yelling Ollie. All reality TV, including real time sports games, are edited in the sense someone else is deciding what we see and what we don't see.

Exactly. If he has been animated and fired up and they aren't showing that, that's good news. Maybe he's moving on with his life and finding joy. But anyone who thinks he was "the same" after the divorce as before is just not being realistic or honest. I'll never doubt his commitment to UConn, but I do think there are more important things, including the breakup of one's family and he was quite understandably different for a while. I'll never expect him to be Calhoun, he's just not a Boston Irish guy, but the hangdog expression might be best replaced with some visible anger.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

not many people watch more live games than me, and even fewer have better seats, I see for myself

I like him when he's into it, more like my hero avatar, I dislike it when he's sitting and looking sad

I've observed both. When he's emotional, we're better, it's painfully obvious. The only possible caveat being a "what comes first, the chicken or the egg" argument.

Reaction Score

I enjoyed the win as much as anyone but OMG. Win it all? Did you see Duke play Florida last night? Have you seen Virginia, Kentucky, or North Carolina? If KO wins a national championship this year, forget coach of the year, just make him all time king of basketball coaches.

Reaction Score
In the SU game, he got on the refs in the first few minutes which is a great leap forward.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
not many people watch more live games than me, and even fewer have better seats, I see for myself

I like him when he's into it, more like my hero avatar, I dislike it when he's sitting and looking sad

I've observed both. When he's emotional, we're better, it's painfully obvious. The only possible caveat being a "what comes first, the chicken or the egg" argument.

I'm sure he's reacting to how we are playing. The bigger question for me is: how are the players reacting to his reaction? JC used to have a quick hook, and look like he was going to blow a gasket when people made dumb, mental errors. Ollie just looks disgusted and gives a "WTF?" look. Does that work? I know I'm a bit more comfortable with the Calhoun approach.

Reaction Score
I'm sure he's reacting to how we are playing. The bigger question for me is: how are the players reacting to his reaction? JC used to have a quick hook, and look like he was going to blow a gasket when people made dumb, mental errors. Ollie just looks disgusted and gives a "WTF?" look. Does that work? I know I'm a bit more comfortable with the Calhoun approach.

When you only have 4 players to play 3 positions, pulling someone every time they make a mistake is not a practical strategy. We would have been playing Oklahoma State 5 against 3.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
When you only have 4 players to play 3 positions, pulling someone every time they make a mistake is not a practical strategy. We would have been playing Oklahoma State 5 against 3.

He's been doing that for a few years. It's how he is, depth or no depth.

Reaction Score
He's been doing that for a few years. It's how he is, depth or no depth.

I agree with that. Was just making a point that even if Calhoun had this team, Calhoun would have to adapt.

People are different. Coaches have to be true to their personality, because the players will see through a coach trying to be someone else. KO has to be the best KO, and neither he nor we should be spending time worrying that he's not JC.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree with that. Was just making a point that even if Calhoun had this team, Calhoun would have to adapt.

People are different. Coaches have to be true to their personality, because the players will see through a coach trying to be someone else. KO has to be the best KO, and neither he nor we should be spending time worrying that he's not JC.

Agreed. I was just trying to point out that I think that's what we're doing. Looking at how he isn't like JC, which is what we know "works" and criticizing him for it. I do think he himself was more "depressed looking" post divorce, and had less energy, which I find completely understandable.

C

Chief00

I agree with your analysis. Some UConn fans expect him to act like Calhoun and that's unfair. Besides other coaches can't get away with what Calhoun did with the refs. But, yeah the team feeds off KO - especially sense of urgency. I wish there was more leadership with the upperclassmen - but that's not the case - so more of it falls on KO than it should. But, you need to play with the team you have.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He channeled his inner Calhoun during his "WHAT ARE YOU DOING????" performance on the terrible foul call against Giffey.

Reaction Score
the quintessential example of the boneyard, folks.
I don't think anything positive is the quintessential example of the boneyard. Personally I would have gone with something like this:
jeesh. there are a lot of people here trying to come up with excuses for why Enoch isn't good- and then trying to find areas where he is good and has "improved."

that is such a stretch. the kid has just shown zero skill so far. zero. none. he's not a D1 player right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom