Ollie's Contract | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ollie's Contract

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Let me be clear - teams that can play at a high level against top competition with incomplete squads..... I could throw Butler, Dayton, Crieghton, an Ivy League Champion, Davidson, VCU,etc.. out there at different times to make the point. I'll do some checking...

Okay, I'll wait for you to check. Again it's much different to say you're winning with an incomplete team vs. you're winning with 5 to 6 players like you've claimed. Winning with 5 players means you never make a substitution all game, which I hope you understand is absurd, right??

Reaction Score
Okay, I'll wait for you to check. Again it's much different to say you're winning with an incomplete team vs. you're winning with 5 to 6 players like you've claimed. Winning with 5 players means you never make a substitution all game, which I hope you understand is absurd, right??
Of course it's absurd. That wasn't what I was saying but the key is the box score on production.

Reaction Score
Then I'm sure he should have said 2 years instead of exaggerating to try to further his agenda...

You really are dense. There will be no NCAA tournament for UConn this season. That is obvious to any objective person. Therefore, UConn will have won 1 NCAA tournament game in the last 3 seasons. Is this really so hard to see?

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
You realize that DHam is averaging 15/8/5 against higher level competition, right? He would undoubtedly be averaging a double-double for us and would create a mismatch that other teammates like Adams could exploit.

My goodness. Now, we aren't sure if last year's best player could help us this year? This board...
You realize he's in the D League right.. You're right about one thing, people on the board like you live in the past... DHam isn't on this team, so who gives a rats .... about if he could help this team! That's like saying "Man, if I only that girl went to the prom with me instead of that other guy, I could have been King...

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Then I'm sure he should have said 2 years instead of exaggerating to try to further his agenda...
Yeah like you've never made a mistake in life, thank you Jesus...give it a rest..

Reaction Score
When the team is healthy KO will have "his act together" just be sure to show up and applaud when they are good next year ok?

I'm just curious: what level of success would you consider adequate for next year?

If the team falls short of that success, should KO be on the hot seat going into the following year?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You realize he's in the D League right.. You're right about one thing, people on the board like you live in the past... DHam isn't on this team, so who gives a rats .... about if he could help this team! That's like saying "Man, if I only that girl went to the prom with me instead of that other guy, I could have been King...
It's relevant. The classes were recruited with Vance being a back up to DHam and not a player the team had to rely on. Vance is doing well right now, but the loss of DHam and the injury to Terry required some development time for a player not counted on to provide significant minutes. That time contributed to losses.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You really are dense. There will be no NCAA tournament for UConn this season. That is obvious to any objective person. Therefore, UConn will have won 1 NCAA tournament game in the last 3 seasons. Is this really so hard to see?
You're conveniently conflating two things. He obviously understands the point of one victory in three seasons (although you cannot be absolutely certain about this season). He's not choosing to weight this observation to the degree you would like. I'm with him.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm just curious: what level of success would you consider adequate for next year?

If the team falls short of that success, should KO be on the hot seat going into the following year?
I'd be more critical next season than I'm going to be because there are/were a lot of factors that were beyond his control prior to this season and during this season that I cannot ignore and which I believe strongly factor into the success versus failure equation next year.

If Durham entered the program as the same player when he was recruited by KO, if Alterique did not get hurt over the summer and reinjure himself resulting in missing practically all of this season, ditto with Terry's injury, if Zach Brown did not self destruct and had his scholarship revoked or even if he self destructed at the beginning of his recruitment to give KO time to emphasize recruitment of a different five, if the APR were not a factor forcing him to have to recruit Steve, a player with little experience in the game then yes I'd have a different critical eye to the development of the team's play.

But these things happened and none of them were within KO's control. And all of them have a significant impact on the development of the team. So no I'm not looking at next year with the same lens as you.

Reaction Score
I'd be more critical next season than I'm going to be because there are/were a lot of factors that were beyond his control prior to this season and during this season that I cannot ignore and which I believe strongly factor into the success versus failure equation next year.

If Durham entered the program as the same player when he was recruited by KO, if Alterique did not get hurt over the summer and reinjure himself resulting in missing practically all of this season, ditto with Terry's injury, if Zach Brown did not self destruct and had his scholarship revoked or even if he self destructed at the beginning of his recruitment to give KO time to emphasize recruitment of a different five, if the APR were not a factor forcing him to have to recruit Steve, a player with little experience in the game then yes I'd have a different critical eye to the development of the team's play.

But these things happened and none of them were within KO's control. And all of them have a significant impact on the development of the team. So no I'm not looking at next year with the same lens as you.

So we're already crafting excuses for next year? Do we still consider ourselves an elite program or no?

By the way, my expectation level for next year is already lower than it was in this past offseason. This past offseason I expected this year to be Top 25 and Sweet 16, with next year a truly dominant run befitting this program's history. I have pushed that back a year given the circumstances.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
It's relevant. The classes were recruited with Vance being a back up to DHam and not a player the team had to rely on. Vance is doing well right now, but the loss of DHam and the injury to Terry required some development time for a player not counted on to provide significant minutes. That time contributed to losses.
Cry me a river, more excuses, stop already, getting old... it's called college sports, college recruiting... all on the coaching staff..

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So we're already crafting excuses for next year? Do we still consider ourselves an elite program or no?

By the way, my expectation level for next year is already lower than it was in this past offseason. This past offseason I expected this year to be Top 25 and Sweet 16, with next year a truly dominant run befitting this program's history. I have pushed that back a year given the circumstances.
Did the events that I list happen? Do you think they have little or no impact on team development? Why should I omit them or reduce them to reach your conclusion?

And your last sentence almost seems to contradict the snarky retort you made to me. What are the circumstance you allude to? How are they not excuses while the points I make happen to be?

I guess I'm entitled to answer your second question with a little snark of my own: We are still an elite program but with less than elite fans.

Reaction Score
At the very least, for those against firing Ollie (and I am on the fence), surely you must admit he/someone needs to make some changes to the coaching staff below him starting in 2017-2018. Maybe not a Blaney type, but at least somehow who specializes in coaching certain things, certain fundamental like rebounding or, uh, conditioning, as some of these players look dead out there at the end of games, still.

Or like a "big man" coach. I don't know, I do not know the extent of the coaching staff or different roles each one plays but I assume they have a lot of coaches under Ollie who work on different things.

Reaction Score
Did the events that I list happen? Do you think they have little or no impact on team development? Why should I omit them or reduce them to reach your conclusion?

And your last sentence almost seems to contradict the snarky retort you made to me. What are the circumstance you allude to? How are they not excuses while the points I make happen to be?

I guess I'm entitled to answer your second question with a little snark of my own: We are still an elite program but with less than elite fans.

One unifying characteristic of elite institutions (across athletics, business, academics, etc.) is taking pride in being held to high standards and having high expectations.

There's a difference between realism in evaluating the present (what I'm doing) and preemptively lowering expectations for the future (what you're doing).

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score

Elite programs or fans don't make excuses or accept mediocrity. This team and some have begun that trend to accept our current and past seasons. YES we are spoiled as a fan base, so what! I'm expecting a strong season year in and out... what's happening now is the opposite of that, it's both sad and disappointing. We all have our opinions and that's great, but for all this program has been through, we are trending in the wrong direction, can't dispute that... don't bring the great recruiting classes, 20 win season blah blah... just win the damn games we are supposed to win and actual play with a purpose, none of which we have shown any consistency with over his tenure and you can't dispute that..

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Of course it is. Just curious what's your record as a coach?
More than yours, I've actually coached college ball...recruited, taken the NCAA compliance exam for coaches..you?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think the hyperbole and, sometimes, entitlement of one side of this arguement lead to hyperbole and defensiveness on the other.

If you aren't worried about UConn basketball, you must not have a pulse.

If you think Ollie should be fired, you are stupid or way too emotional.

I think it is reasonable to expect significant improvement next year and, if not, to start this conversation. And I love KO

H

huskymagic

Elite programs or fans don't make excuses or accept mediocrity. This team and some have begun that trend to accept our current and past seasons. YES we are spoiled as a fan base, so what! I'm expecting a strong season year in and out... what's happening now is the opposite of that, it's both sad and disappointing. We all have our opinions and that's great, but for all this program has been through, we are trending in the wrong direction, can't dispute that... don't bring the great recruiting classes, 20 win season blah blah... just win the damn games we are supposed to win and actual play with a purpose, none of which we have shown any consistency with over his tenure and you can't dispute that..

Bro you are absolutely right but you aren't going to convince Fleud as he is one of Ollie's biggest apologists and defenders on here. In the current landscape, he expected D-Ham to be back when he was thinking of leaving for the NBA after his freshman year. Ollie will get a pass this year with 3 fortuitous season ending injuries and another player in Durham coming off 2 years of injuries. That still doesn't excuse the effort and ineptitude we see from our players and team out there. Next year will be judgement day no question about it and there wont be anymore excuses about Brimah or Purvis. Hopefully, this was all a nightmare and we can wake up next year knowing it was just a dream and not our everyday reality.

Reaction Score
Things went south for Kevin Ollie. Surely he planned to have Hamilton back, and then the injuries happend this year. If everything fell into place, we would be contending for a Title probably this year. Wouldn't hear nobody talking about Ollie.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
One unifying characteristic of elite institutions (across athletics, business, academics, etc.) is taking pride in being held to high standards and having high expectations.

There's a difference between realism in evaluating the present (what I'm doing) and preemptively lowering expectations for the future (what you're doing).
LOL. You don't even hear yourself do you?
You wrote this: By the way, my expectation level for next year is already lower than it was in this past offseason. This past offseason I expected this year to be Top 25 and Sweet 16, with next year a truly dominant run befitting this program's history. I have pushed that back a year given the circumstances.

I asked you to explain that paragraph and you came up with the cliched statements of pride and realistic evaluation. Nice deflection but this isn't tennis. I can cliche back and say "Pride goeth before a fall".

Reaction Score
Things went south for Kevin Ollie. Surely he planned to have Hamilton back, and then the injuries happend this year. If everything fell into place, we would be contending for a Title probably this year. Wouldn't hear nobody talking about Ollie.
Wishful thinking. Maybe sweet 16, at best, for next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom