Ollie's Contract | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie's Contract

Reaction Score
Purvis is an outstanding athlete with a good attitude. He just has too many flaws in his game.
Until this game we had been playing a lot better but the first half of the SMU game we looked like we were playing with very little energy and that concerns me more than anything.

Reaction Score
I have watch almost, every televised game or in person since 1970... and I could say the last two years is been the worst Basketball IQ players on the court. Is it just recruiting athletes, and not very smart basketball IQ players. I see hope for the future with the soph., and freshmans, better IQ players. Theses seniors, and junior class are not very good players.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you're trying to tell me that Kevin Ollie is as good as Tom Izzo but knock yourself out, sport. If you're satisfied with the results these last 2.5 years what are you doing wasting all of this precious, blissful time on the Boneyard after a blowout loss? You might want to pick a better performance to "convince" folks that we're doing the best we can and that the program is in good shape. You're welcome for playing btw.

Funny how you're not gonna defend that Izzo comment anymore, now that you rememberwho they also lost to.

Here's the point I'm making that some are losing out on. Did Tom Izzo, a hall of fame coach with an exceptional record, get dumb all of a sudden? Or could it be that some years you don't have the pieces that you need to accomplish what you want to? Did Calhoun never go to the NIT? That's rhetorical, so don't answer it.

We lost our starting point guard, or leading scorer, we are incorporating 4 kids into getting major minutes at the college level who have never done it, and we are asking role players to become target players despite all evidence to the contrary that they can do it. And we're doing all of that while changing our core defensive style because we don't have enough warm bodies to play man to man.

Did Ollie forget basketball this year along with Izzo? Or could it just be that this year is spiraling into the toilet and that's leading to a morale-busting situation for the players. Should Ollie expect to get so little production from Adams, Purvis, and Brimah put together like last night?

So this is what I'm choosing to focus on; Vance is getting much better, Vital is getting better in spurts, Enoch was improving before the injury, Facey is SO much better than he has ever been, Durham is showing some nice things around the rim, and Jalen on most nights seems to be developing into a star leader. In this crap fest of a year, I'll at least take that development as a positive sign that next year with the addition of Larrier, Gilbert, and company, that we'll be in much much better shape...

Reaction Score
Funny how you're not gonna defend that Izzo comment anymore, now that you rememberwho they also lost to.

Here's the point I'm making that some are losing out on. Did Tom Izzo, a hall of fame coach with an exceptional record, get dumb all of a sudden? Or could it be that some years you don't have the pieces that you need to accomplish what you want to? Did Calhoun never go to the NIT? That's rhetorical, so don't answer it.

We lost our starting point guard, or leading scorer, we are incorporating 4 kids into getting major minutes at the college level who have never done it, and we are asking role players to become target players despite all evidence to the contrary that they can do it. And we're doing all of that while changing our core defensive style because we don't have enough warm bodies to play man to man.

Did Ollie forget basketball this year along with Izzo? Or could it just be that this year is spiraling into the toilet and that's leading to a morale-busting situation for the players. Should Ollie expect to get so little production from Adams, Purvis, and Brimah put together like last night?

So this is what I'm choosing to focus on; Vance is getting much better, Vital is getting better in spurts, Enoch was improving before the injury, Facey is SO much better than he has ever been, Durham is showing some nice things around the rim, and Jalen on most nights seems to be developing into a star leader. In this crap fest of a year, I'll at least take that development as a positive sign that next year with the addition of Larrier, Gilbert, and company, that we'll be in much much better shape...

Appreciate your effort UCDan, it's just not worth it. There are too many spoiled rotten fans who just don't get it. These things happen, they can't sit back and allow the season to be exactly what it is and what we knew it would be when they left Maui. Keep fighting the fight if you want but most of these people aren't worth it. You and I see Vance getting better because he's playing more than he would have if everyone was healthy. Vital showing some signs of game, tough defensively and getting better on both ends needs to finish though. Adams is learning how to be a PG without having many options do be great, still fighting playing 40. Steve showing physical play as well as some low post game, but they will say he blows. People see what they want to see, if they are eternally pessimistic then this is not the year for them wish they would leave but they will always be here, especially noticeable after a game like this in which their spew is at their finest.

Keep at it but it will drain you my friend!! LOL

Reaction Score
Has the only using 11 scholarships question ever been answered? Why are we playing with a handicap? Two more players would really make a difference right now.

as of right now we only have 11 next year. This has to stop. Is Ollie just too damn cautious handing out scholarships? Why did he stop recruiting Issac Vann last spring? I know Vann would have had to sit out this year, but he would be a huge help next season.

Does Ollie not know a bird in hand is worth two in the bush?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Colorado was a quality team, and we lost in the next round to the overall number 1 in Kansas. I guess Ollie sucks then. You guys are pretty smart...

Keep in mind they only made the Tourney because SMU was suspended from the AAC tournament. If last year was considered a good season the expectations for this program have fallen off a cliff.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Has the only using 11 scholarships question ever been answered? Why are we playing with a handicap? Two more players would really make a difference right now.

as of right now we only have 11 next year. This has to stop. Is Ollie just too damn cautious handing out scholarships? Why did he stop recruiting Issac Vann last spring? I know Vann would have had to sit out this year, but he would be a huge help next season.

Does Ollie not know a bird in hand is worth two in the bush?
Most teams really go only eight or nine deep. Start with 11. Diarra played all last year and now can't, Larrier looked great to start the season then blew out his ACL, Gilbert didn't have a major problem until the post season all-star game and even had surgery to stabilize his shoulder, and Enoch hadn't had a previous foot problem but now has one. I'd call that all unpredictable.

Reaction Score
He's got 7 scholarship players to use right now. 7. I wish I knew what the hell it is that people think Tom Izzo could do with this team?? Or Coach K? Or Calipari? Or you fill in the blank with whomever you want.

Are the underclassmen getting better? YES. undeniably yes.
Players like Facey and Adams getting better? By leaps and bounds.
And all of this under the very worst of conditions with no bench. He's mixing zones to mask it, and he has a 7 foot center who can't stay on the court for more than 5 minutes a game.

Honestly, what the hell do you want him to do?!?

No rational fan should blame Ollie for the overall record right now, but this team has been flat out embarrassed in the 1st half time and time again this season. The lack of depth should hurt the team late in games, but there's not as much of an excuse to be going into half down 20+ and struggling to even score 20 1st half points as often as this team has this season. I don't know how anyone that does something competitive for a living can accept being punked out the way this team seems to enjoy being.

Reaction Score
Appreciate your effort UCDan, it's just not worth it. There are too many spoiled rotten fans who just don't get it. These things happen, they can't sit back and allow the season to be exactly what it is and what we knew it would be when they left Maui. Keep fighting the fight if you want but most of these people aren't worth it. You and I see Vance getting better because he's playing more than he would have if everyone was healthy. Vital showing some signs of game, tough defensively and getting better on both ends needs to finish though. Adams is learning how to be a PG without having many options do be great, still fighting playing 40. Steve showing physical play as well as some low post game, but they will say he blows. People see what they want to see, if they are eternally pessimistic then this is not the year for them wish they would leave but they will always be here, especially noticeable after a game like this in which their spew is at their finest.

I've been mostly with this train of thought, but Ollie does need to take some blame for all these 44-19 type of 1st half scores we've had happen to us. The amount of times we've seen that happen this season tells me that Ollie isn't managing his game plan or players anywhere near as efficiently as he could be.

Honestly I wonder if Ollie might just be too nice of a person to get these kids to play with some pride and self respect and BALLS. Most any great coach I can think of has a way more aggressive/egotistical attitude than KO.

Reaction Score
Ollie has also gotten some bad luck with two of his better players in Daniels and Hamilton leaving early for the draft when they weren't ready. I don't remember that happening to Calhoun very often.

Reaction Score
With our depleted roster there's really no threat over losing any playing time. Wonder how much that factors into the motivation of some players. If we are in agreement that we need to keep Ollie then I think its imperative we give some strong consideration to finding someone other than Glenn Miller to be his associate HC. Someone outside the UConn system with a fresh set of eyes. We need to shake something up.

Reaction Score

Mau,

What have you seen over the past 2 1/2 seasons that causes you to be optimistic? I see one tournament win in 3 seasons, low basketball iq, and losing to teams that used to be resume builders come March. I honestly dont think the critics (including me) are being unfair. This season is a dumpster fire in large part due to injuries. However, losses to Wagner and Northeastern came with a nearly full roster and this team falls behind by double digits early in too many games.

Reaction Score
I love how you can't be worried about the 3 mediocre seasons we've just endured and the perception of our program without being blasted for "hating on Ollie".. You realize you can be worried without calling for Ollie's head, right?

Reaction Score
I love how you can't be worried about the 3 mediocre seasons we've just endured and the perception of our program without being blasted for "hating on Ollie".. You realize you can be worried without calling for Ollie's head, right?
A thousand times this.

I feel like a broken record saying this, but

1) on the one hand, there are valid reasons for why UConn has underachieved each of the past three seasons, particularly when you look at each season in a vacuum;
2) on the other hand, UConn has underachieved preseason expectations for three years running, and his apologists continue to ignore some legitimate, negative patterns.

I don't think Ollie is (or should be) anywhere near the hot seat. But assuming Jalen returns next year, it'll mark the first time since 2013-14 there has been real continuity among key players.

We should still be tempering expectations considering the youth and question marks, but if we don't see real progress next year, I think it's fair to be concerned.

Reaction Score

There's nothing to defend re: Tom Izzo. He's 5x the coach that KO is. Maybe someday, if Ollie puts together the career that Izzo has, you can hunt me down and get me to admit that Tom Izzo wouldn't have this year's UConn team in better form. Until then, we can agree to disagree as we'll never know what any other coach could have done with the current situation. But I e seen other programs adjust to unexpected early departures and even mid season injuries (in better leagues) with more success and ingenuity than what I'm seeing this year. And while I'm seeing the development of the players, I'm not necessarily seeing it (for more than this season) fromour head coach. So all of tHat doesn't equate (for me) to feeling like the program is in good shape. Frankly, I've felt this way for the last two seasons. And while the 2014 run was magical, that regular season was still a long way away from being the type of year that we had become accustomed to. So call me spoiled. Blue Blood/Elite programs get spoiled. It's sorta like the #1 perk of being elite. I can handle a down year or two without running off a ledge. Frankly, I feel like I did the last two seasons. And I know that this year had some incredibly bad luck.

But...you didn't respond to my SMU scenario. Why are they so much better than us after what they've gone thru due to graduations, unexpected departures and sanctions? How about what Arizona has done this year with injuries and suspensions? You don't think Sean Miller is doing better than Kevin Ollie?

And one last criticism of KO for you to chew on and ignore...who's fault is it that we were so reliant on an incoming freshman (albeit an All American) that his injury has virtually rendered our backcourt unserviceable due to having only one real ball handler (despite knowing what Purvis is/isn't and STILL having open scholarships)? God help the Ollie defenders if Jalen Adams leaves for the draft. What will the excuses be then?

PS - I think most of us would kill for an NIT slot. How sad is that?

Reaction Score
No serious person would compare Izzo and Ollie. That's insane and unfair to a coach who's only been at the helm for 5 years.

Reaction Score
I believe Ollie will indeed be under pressure to put up next year. Fact is that there is a new boss in town who has zero connection to Ollie and Calhoun so is much more likely to judge on results than either sentiment or to protect his own legacy. AD Dave is going to look at results, attendance and if both are not significantly on the uptick he won't feel obligated to stand pat.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
And one last criticism of KO for you to chew on and ignore...who's fault is it that we were so reliant on an incoming freshman (albeit an All American) that his injury has virtually rendered our backcourt unserviceable due to having only one real ball handler (despite knowing what Purvis is/isn't and STILL having open scholarships)?

Well, seeing as Larrier and DHam as non-freshmen were supposed to be in the starting rotation this year when Ollie was looking at it a year ago, I guess the blame goes to God? Fate? Sheer dumb luck? Whomever you choose to assign that to.

Even with Larrier going down and DHam moving on, we were still going to have a McDonalds All-American point guard, and he went down too. We were going to have a strong rebounding presence in Diarra, and he went down too. And sophomore Enoch now has a foot injury.

You can spew all the nonsense you want to about "who's fault it is" that this is the situation, but this is clearly a once-in-a-century situation whereby half the team you thought you would have is no longer available.

And by the way, nobody on this board except for you is rooting for the NIT. Don't kid yourself. We are all waiting to see if the pieces we have left can come together enough to win the AAC tourney and leave a good taste in our mouths for this busted year...

Reaction Score
Why was Hamilton "supposed to be in the starting lineup?" There is no "supposed to be" at this level for your best player. Any coach who is building a team without considering that their best player may go pro (ready or not), is naive and in over his head. I'm not saying that DHam should have gone or that his decision in the spring was anticipated before last season started, but welcome to high major college hoops. It's not a valid excuse for not adjusting or not building a contingency. And it still doesn't completely answer the question about why we have open scholarships and not enough ball handlers. We took some shortcuts with Gibbs and Miller last year and it got us a 6th place finish and a win over mighty #9 seed Colorado and now we're left with this. Again, did Hamilton's departure sting? Of course. But most top programs have to adjust to that nearly annually.

Go ahead, blame karma, the gods, a once in a century situation. Thats your prerogative and I sincerely hope you are right (and just so you know, I'm not trying - at all- to change your mind). I'd be thrilled if we look back on this year and see the error of my ways. As for the NIT, again that's your opinion though I'm sure the rest of Husky Nation appreciates you speaking on their behalf. I for one, would (today) happily take a season this year in which we finish a few games above .500 with an NIT berth and some well-earned optimism for next year instead of the pipe dream that we can can string together 3 or more likely 4 wins in the AAC tournament. For someone who has already written all of the excuses as to why we aren't good this year, I'd have thought you would be pleased with significant improvement from this point forward (and getting to an above .500 record would be just that). And you keep making this about a couple of obviously unforeseen injuries and this season. My perspective is a three year one (maybe closer to four if you look closely at the 2013-14 regular season) and my own fearful projection of next year (especially if Adams leaves).

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
My issue, and probably everyone's, is that you shouldn't be able to cite legitimate points if your first point is "by next year we should be looking at our options" which is (by memory) what the original post said.

If we have another terrible year next year, that MAY be the case. The poster made it seem like right now, that will be the case. That indicates he thinks Ollie should already be replaced or seriously thought about.

I think everyone's concerns are legitimate and founded. But "concerns" are different than this and some other posters' tones on Ollie's status.

With our potential roster next year, I think he's going in with high expectations and only would be considered on the hot seat with another poor year. The poster and others make it like he's already there and a great year COULD SAVE HIM.

I just dont think that's accurate nor should it be.

Give me a roster that isn't reliant on Purvis and we'll see what happens.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
once brimah and purvis are gone this team will be better. they have eaten up time and spots from players on the team and recruits thinking about coming here. their IQs are not that high and purvis' lack of hustle to help bring the ball up and on other aspects of the game kills adams and others. we are a talented big man and a shooter away from rolling... we are a young team and will be nex year. This needs team needs veteran leadership and senior bball IQ none that purvis and brimah show... Ollie is trying his best to get the team going and you see more hustle and IQ from our freshmen and sophomores than purvis. They showed it yesterday regardless of the score especially vance and facey... This year sucks but I'm not bailing on Ollie, not for awhile

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
My issue, and probably everyone's, is that you shouldn't be able to cite legitimate points if your first point is "by next year we should be looking at our options" which is (by memory) what the original post said.

If we have another terrible year next year, that MAY be the case. The poster made it seem like right now, that will be the case. That indicates he thinks Ollie should already be replaced or seriously thought about.

I think everyone's concerns are legitimate and founded. But "concerns" are different than this and some other posters' tones on Ollie's status.

With our potential roster next year, I think he's going in with high expectations and only would be considered on the hot seat with another poor year. The poster and others make it like he's already there and a great year COULD SAVE HIM.

I just dont think that's accurate nor should it be.

Give me a roster that isn't reliant on Purvis and we'll see what happens.
we need big men and i believe when ollie first recruited, facey and brimah were reaches due to being new and the incoming circumstances. he has shown to get great guards and wings, we need bigs now

Reaction Score

Michigan State 12–7 vs. Uconn 7-11. Both have struggled, but to compare Michigan State woes as equivalent to ours isn't your best argument. We all want the same thing which is sustained success for our program, but let's make sure were being honest with ourselves.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Reading this thread, it's astonishing how many people set the baseline expectation of Ollie being a direct continuation of the greatest coach in the sport's history. And you lecture the "pollyannas/apologists" about having whacked expectations?

Reaction Score
Reading this thread, it's astonishing how many people set the baseline expectation of Ollie being a direct continuation of the greatest coach in the sport's history. And you lecture the "pollyannas/apologists" about having whacked expectations?
Not the case at all. But here is the expectation: Have a team that is a perennial team to beat in the conference and at least a borderline top 25 most years with some top 15 finishes. And to be a regular NCAA participant without having to rely on miracle finishes in conference tournaments. Be a potential Gonzaga or at least Cincinnati.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom