Ollie at Hoophall watching Eric Ayala (CG) | The Boneyard

Ollie at Hoophall watching Eric Ayala (CG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

As the tweets says, there's a decent chance this kid reclasses to 2017. If that happens I think Syracuse would be strong favorites, since the kid wants to be a PG and they really have none, while we have three.

For those who aren't aware: Ayala was a teammate of Diarra & Diallo at PSA. Not a great shooter or tremendous athlete, but a really heady player whose body control, change-of-pace and ball handling allow him to draw tons of fouls and finish in the lane. He's like a larger, less-talented Khalid.

I'm not sure he'd help us immediately in 2017/18 if he reclasses. But as a long-term, 3- or 4- year college player, I think he'll be excellent.

Reaction Score
Ollie is there, Boeheim is not.

Also, whenever I've seen him, he's actually been a good 3 point shooter. Definitely more of a shooter off of the dribble than spotting up, though.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Also, whenever I've seen him, he's actually been a good 3 point shooter. Definitely more of a shooter off of the dribble than spotting up, though.
Yeah for sure, and that's one of the reasons I'm not suuuuuper into us getting him (not that we'd say "no," nor should we). I just think we need a guy next season who can come off screens with perfect footwork, catch and launch. We actually move the ball really will -- that'll continue to be the case next year with good passers like Jalen, Vance & Larrier on the court -- but the lack of a guy who can come off a screen like that undoes so much of our good work.

Ayala can maybe grow into that role, but it's not a natural part of his game right now.

Reaction Score
@Matrim55...you think we have a good shot at Olden the Juco who played at Pepperdine? He might be a better fit for next year with the guards we have than an Ayala.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
@Matrim55...you think we have a good shot at Olden the Juco who played at Pepperdine? He might be a better fit for next year with the guards we have than an Ayala.
Yes I do, and yes he would. I think if he commits we take it, and keep recruiting Ayala as a 2018

Reaction Score
Eric Ayala Wins MVP at Hoophall, Talks Potential Reclassification to 2017 | Zagsblog

UConn went three deep with head coach Kevin Ollie and two assistants, and Syracuse associate head coach Mike Hopkins was also on hand.

“That’s a good place to be,” he said of UConn, which he has visited “a few” times. “It’s right up the street from my school, so it’s right there. I get to watch some games so I’m definitely familiar with the program.”

Reaction Score
Ayala said UConn has talked to him a little about 2017, but my question what minutes would he get in Storrs for 2017? Already have hopefully 3 experienced guards returning and MAL coming in.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If you can play you'll get minutes. Or rather, you should get minutes. Sometimes freshmen come in ready to contribute immediately. Best 8 see the court frequently, in my book.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing we play some small-ball in 2017. Our bigs will be Enoch and Durham and sub-100 ranked freshman. Larrier at the 4 will happen, and if so, Ayala can get plenty of time as 3rd or 4th guard off bench.

Reaction Score
Ayala said UConn has talked to him a little about 2017, but my question what minutes would he get in Storrs for 2017? Already have hopefully 3 experienced guards returning and MAL coming in.

MAL, Gilbert, Adams, Vital and maybe one more? Is it possible JA is leaning no matter?

Reaction Score
Eric Ayala Wins MVP at Hoophall, Talks Potential Reclassification to 2017 | Zagsblog

UConn went three deep with head coach Kevin Ollie and two assistants, and Syracuse associate head coach Mike Hopkins was also on hand.

“That’s a good place to be,” he said of UConn, which he has visited “a few” times. “It’s right up the street from my school, so it’s right there. I get to watch some games so I’m definitely familiar with the program.”

No, it's too soon! I won't be fooled again! Head bang

Reaction Score
I'm guessing we play some small-ball in 2017. Our bigs will be Enoch and Durham and sub-100 ranked freshman. Larrier at the 4 will happen, and if so, Ayala can get plenty of time as 3rd or 4th guard off bench.

Good point. And even at that, I really don't think Ollie can ever have "too many" guards, or that guards will ever be unhappy under him... at the start of the year when Gilbert was healthy, he was still finding a ton of playing time for Vital. Which was surprising.

pj

Reaction Score
MAL, Gilbert, Adams, Vital and maybe one more? Is it possible JA is leaning no matter?

5 is the normal number of guards on a 13 man roster. They expected to have Diallo as #5. Now they need to find someone else. 4 is just too little depth, 1 injury puts you where they are now with just 3 (Adams, Purvis, Vital).

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Ollie is there, Boeheim is not.
Syracuse were hosting Chris Duarte, a 3-star CG from upstate New York, this weekend, and they're getting a run of picks for him on the crystal ball.

I don't think this means they aren't interested in Ayala, but they're clearly hedging some bets.

Reaction Score
Syracuse were hosting Chris Duarte, a 3-star CG from upstate New York, this weekend, and they're getting a run of picks for him on the crystal ball.

I don't think this means they aren't interested in Ayala, but they're clearly hedging some bets.
What are the chances Ayala is cleared for 2017?

Reaction Score
Adams isn't a guarantee to be back and Gilbert's shoulder issues should cause plenty of concern about his durability, can never have too many ballhandlers/shot creators.

Reaction Score
What are the chances Ayala is cleared for 2017?
Seems like a done deal if he wants it.
He's going to graduate, but he doesn't know how he'll fare in the standardized tests (taking the SAT this weekend, ACT soon after).

Considering our complete lack of depth of any guard 6'3+, I would think Ollie has a good shot at Ayala.

I know Cuse needs a PG, but they actually have distributor in Frank Howard (4th in the country in AST%) that is exactly Ayala's size. Battle is going to play the majority of the game at the 2 for Cuse, so it's no guarantee that Ayala would play huge minutes there unless he can efficiently run the offense himself, a tough task for a reclassified freshman.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
He's going to graduate, but he doesn't know how he'll fare in the standardized tests (taking the SAT this weekend, ACT soon after).

Considering our complete lack of depth of any guard 6'3+, I would think Ollie has a good shot at Ayala.

I know Cuse needs a PG, but they actually have distributor in Frank Howard (4th in the country in AST%) that is exactly Ayala's size.
Howard's been benched. Since the loss to BCU he's played 1, 0, 13, 16 and 1 minute, and Gillon (postgrad) is the fulltime starter for them at PG. They've generally played better since the change.

I'm pretty sure Howard will transfer, and even if he doesn't Boeheim will recruit another postgrad PG as well as one or two freshmen combo guards. The meaningful portion of the kid's Syracuse career is over.

Reaction Score
Howard's been benched. Since the loss to BCU he's played 1, 0, 13, 16 and 1 minute, and Gillon (postgrad) is the fulltime starter for them at PG. They've generally played better since the change.

I'm pretty sure Howard will transfer, and even if he doesn't Boeheim will recruit another postgrad PG as well as one or two freshmen combo guards. The meaningful portion of the kid's Syracuse career is over.
Wow, I stop paying attention to Cuse for a couple weeks and it's Kaleb Joseph 2.0.

Boeheim really likes to cut bait on these guards if they don't produce as underclassmen the past few years.

Reaction Score

Obviously not all recruits pan out, but he was a pretty big recruit right? I think I remember seeing him on most if not all top 100 lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom