Old UCONN indoor running track | The Boneyard

Old UCONN indoor running track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who ran indoors on the field house track in the mid 1960's? Do you remember what kind of surface you ran on there? I have had a picture in my mind of running in one high school meet at UConn behind/under bleachers on something like cinders. Could they have put down a cinder track indoors? Maybe I am thinking of someplace else. I just found on-line that Maine's old field house had a cinder running track. How about UConn's?

Reaction Score
Who ran indoors on the field house track in the mid 1960's? Do you remember what kind of surface you ran on there? I have had a picture in my mind of running in one high school meet at UConn behind/under bleachers on something like cinders. Could they have put down a cinder track indoors? Maybe I am thinking of someplace else. I just found on-line that Maine's old field house had a cinder running track. How about UConn's?
Didn't run track, but the field house in 1968 had a green rubber-ish floor. Early synthetic model. Basketballs sounded funny on it. Not sure when it was installed.

Reaction Score
Didn't run track, but the field house in 1968 had a green rubber-ish floor. Early synthetic model. Basketballs sounded funny on it. Not sure when it was installed.
I was a freshman in 1966 and the green rubber floor was already installed. The basketball court was also rubber whenever the removable wooden court was not installed on top of the rubber.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was there years later. When nasty pus-like ooze used to seep through.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I was there years later. When nasty pus-like ooze used to seep through.
I'm pretty sure it was the same floor in the late 80s or early 90s when I was there... hehehe...

Reaction Score
Thanks for the responses. Nobody has gone quite all the way back to my vintage yet - close but not quite there. Other places we ran indoors on wood floors, for instance the Hartford armory. The high school event I am thinking of was probably in the winter of 1963. All I can remember is it was not a hard surface and I think it smelled a bit oily or rubbery, so some of what I am reading here could fit with my vague memory. Considering the distance of time I suppose I often will be disappointed as I test the limits of my memory.

Reaction Score
I was a freshman in 1966 and the green rubber floor was already installed. The basketball court was also rubber whenever the removable wooden court was not installed on top of the rubber.
I was a freshman in 1967 and the Field House still had a dirt floor. I think the rubber floor came 1-2 years later.

Reaction Score
It was a 220 red clay track.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'd project an L in the AAC for UConn sometime between pigs flying and hell freezing over. I mean, even Louisville was in the conference for a year, and UConn beat them by 17, 20, and 20 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom