Oh The Horror - Getting Kids in on UCLA or UConn | The Boneyard

Oh The Horror - Getting Kids in on UCLA or UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Caption this photo from the article??? Or not.

upload_2016-5-5_14-50-22.png

Pssst: Note the fingers...4. Now that is easy to work with, No?

Reaction Score
It ends in a tie! REALLY? I've watched both coaches during their hey days.
Wooden and his teams, for the time they played, were the most exciting thing to watch since Murder mysteries were invented--and they did murder some top talent.
Except when they went to Houston. I was certain, as I am with the WBB Huskies, that no one could beat them. Just plain fun to watch.

Uconn WBB since 1995, up years and down years, played a Wooden brand of basketball. In an era when Men's teams played lots of Zone or half court offense UCLA was Fast, accurate passing; UConn WBB too. . Geno told his teams run run run get to the other end and score before they setup. Don't stop and cheer after a basket--while they are cheering--you are scoring again. Pretty much Wooden.

Which was the most pleasure to watch for a non fan (not an opponent)--BOTH!!

Without another Wooden ever to show up in a Men's basketball game again--it is clear from all stats and watch-ability Geno is heir apparent.

When Geno goes to retirement--the last of the truly great shall have retired.. I hope that is a very very very long time from now..

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Stupid article. You cannot compare apples with oranges. Both dynasties are great, but there are way too many differences in the men's vs. women's game to make side-by-side comparisons based on nothing but numbers.

Reaction Score
I love this debate and agree it should be a tie... they both are the best coaches in their sport....

I would rather have the debate as to who is better... Geno or Pat... I know people do not want to do that because she is sick... but still.... I think it is time Geno ascend to his rightful place at the top of Women's College Basketball and people stop mentioning her when they talk about him. He deserves to be all alone at the top

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I love this debate and agree it should be a tie... they both are the best coaches in their sport....

I would rather have the debate as to who is better... Geno or Pat... I know people do not want to do that because she is sick... but still.... I think it is time Geno ascend to his rightful place at the top of Women's College Basketball and people stop mentioning her when they talk about him. He deserves to be all alone at the top

Well, practice what you preach! ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Stupid article. You cannot compare apples with oranges. Both dynasties are great, but there are way too many differences in the men's vs. women's game to make side-by-side comparisons based on nothing but numbers.

Then there is the never discussed Fat Cat Donor who bribed the best to go to UCLA ... and John Wooden was clueless?? Getting in my foxhole now, digging it deeper. :eek:

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Then there is the never discussed Fat Cat Donor who bribed the best to go to UCLA ... and John Wooden was clueless?? Getting in my foxhole now, digging it deeper. :eek:

I considered bringing that up, but then chickened out. You're courageous. I remember they called him "Uncle Sammy" (his name was Sam Gilbert, an LA businessman), he of the $500 golden handshakes. And if anybody thinks Wooden didn't know exactly what was going on at all times in his program, I've got some swampland to show you in Florida.

The whole problem with the NCAA in general is that everybody cheats, so calling out Wooden on it comes across as sacrilegious, based upon his record. What was that old saying our parents used to hit us with: "Just because everybody else is doing it doesn't make it right!" LOL

Reaction Score
No way a tie. Ya think it's as hard to recruit kids to UCLA (surfs up!) as it is to the Northeast? Geno's had to work harder, breaking and making paradigms. Wooden was a fantastic coach (1-3-1 full court press) and a great role model. But I'm not even sure he was the best (granted, far the most successful) men's CBB coach, while it's a slam dunk for Geno.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No way a tie. Ya think it's as hard to recruit kids to UCLA (surfs up!) as it is to the Northeast? Geno's had to work harder, breaking and making paradigms. Wooden was a fantastic coach (1-3-1 full court press) and a great role model. But I'm not even sure he was the best (granted, far the most successful) men's CBB coach, while it's a slam dunk for Geno.

I go with Geno. 2 different sports. Fun to play with, but Geno has expressed concern about backlash from the testosterone zealots.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coach 4.0. In Marine talk that is perfect and clear an in " I read you 4 X 4."

Reaction Score

That is an interesting concept that I, like many here (probably), have never thought as a something they wanted to compare. During her early reign she was the top of WBB a level of accomplishments and a level of play for others to work to achieve. From 1995 until the end of the Parker era Uconn and the Vols went head to head. Did they lose momentum because of her illness or was Geno that great?(I won't deny it)
I try not to be a hater--some of the things associated with Tn if true were WRONG--Dementia I have learned is insidious--it is sneaky--it's not bang you have it--you lose more and more mental abilities every day. I've seen it 4 times with in-laws. So I will give Pat the benefit of the doubt.
But you present an interesting task. Maybe a Vol will write chart of Pats success/stat and one of the Uconn Stats guys will do a Geno chart--and compare.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

It's not really hard to compare apples and oranges. Watch:

Both are round. One has smooth skin, the other's is bumpy. One has edible skin, the other doesn't (well, not really). Both are fruits. Both provide fiber along with a number of other nutrients. Both come in a number of varieties. Both grow on trees.

See, easy! A number of similarities and some differences, too!

You can compare any two things. It's just whether the comparison is well done and worth doing in the first place.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I considered bringing that up, but then chickened out. You're courageous. I remember they called him "Uncle Sammy" (his name was Sam Gilbert, an LA businessman), he of the $500 golden handshakes. And if anybody thinks Wooden didn't know exactly what was going on at all times in his program, I've got some swampland to show you in Florida.

The whole problem with the NCAA in general is that everybody cheats, so calling out Wooden on it comes across as sacrilegious, based upon his record. What was that old saying our parents used to hit us with: "Just because everybody else is doing it doesn't make it right!" LOL
The dark side of the UCLA basketball dynasty

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Both are round. One has smooth skin, the other's is bumpy. One has edible skin, the other doesn't (well, not really). Both are fruits. Both provide fiber along with a number of other nutrients. Both come in a number of varieties. Both grow on trees.

You can compare any two things. It's just whether the comparison is well done and worth doing in the first place.

Your post ... well, I could not help myself:

UConnNick

Reaction Score

What I really find hilarious about this article is the reference to Larry Brown while he was the Bruin's head coach. That was during the Rod Foster Era at UCLA. Rod played for St. Thomas Aquinas in New Britain, I believe. He was a starter on that Bruin squad that made the Final Four in 1980 but lost.

Larry has left a trail of manure behind him big enough to fertilize the Sahara Desert, but in this instance, they apparently tried to palm off all the violations which occurred during the Wooden Era onto poor Larry.

I also love the righteous indignation regarding the NCAA investigator who claimed the NCAA pulled the plug on the UCLA investigation. Some things never change. The NCAA felt it had to protect the UCLA program, and they did, just like they have and will continue to protect Duke, UNC and any of their other sacred cow programs. OTOH, look out, Louisville!

The NCAA is a total farce, and an embarrassment to higher education in this country. It should die an everlasting death, the sooner the better.

Reaction Score
What I really find hilarious about this article is the reference to Larry Brown while he was the Bruin's head coach. That was during the Rod Foster Era at UCLA. Rod played for St. Thomas Aquinas in New Britain, I believe. He was a starter on that Bruin squad that made the Final Four in 1980 but lost.

Larry has left a trail of manure behind him big enough to fertilize the Sahara Desert, but in this instance, they apparently tried to palm off all the violations which occurred during the Wooden Era onto poor Larry.

I also love the righteous indignation regarding the NCAA investigator who claimed the NCAA pulled the plug on the UCLA investigation. Some things never change. The NCAA felt it had to protect the UCLA program, and they did, just like they have and will continue to protect Duke, UNC and any of their other sacred cow programs. OTOH, look out, Louisville!

The NCAA is a total farce, and an embarrassment to higher education in this country. It should die an everlasting death, the sooner the better.
100% true and sad that the are allowed to operate in such a manner.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

So, I guessing you don't like sports clichès either. If so, I'm with you 110 percent! It's all about how I comport myself, deal with adversity, and leave it all on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom