Oh. My. God. (Jets - wildcat - redzone - deja vu - UConn) | The Boneyard

Oh. My. God. (Jets - wildcat - redzone - deja vu - UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sparano brings in Tebow on SECOND down. Dolphins sack him. Back comes Sanchez for 3rd down. Interception.

What the *!@$ is it with these big-time O coordinators from CT??????

Reaction Score
WOW. . . . .now Sanchez hits late-turning TT in the helmet. That looked sadly familiar too

Reaction Score
Its exactly the same thing, terrible offenses for both teams. Neither teams WRs can catch either.

Reaction Score
I am thinking we're seeing the end of the wildcat. Wasn't it Saprano who invented that formation? What a genius.

I don't think that people, even in the NFL, outside of what Miami did with it ever understood what the wildcat was good for. Forget all the ideas about needing to pass out of it, that was a formation that was good for getting three or four yards when you needed it.

It worked for Miami because Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown could run past you or through you if they had to in order to move the chains. Now teams started looking for a "wildcat quarterback" which just doesn't exist in the NFL. With the right people, you could roll it out there 5 or 6 plays a game when you wanted to control the ball. I do think it is going to vanish completely however as this league is all about throwing the ball.

Reaction Score
I don't think that people, even in the NFL, outside of what Miami did with it ever understood what the wildcat was good for. Forget all the ideas about needing to pass out of it, that was a formation that was good for getting three or four yards when you needed it.

It worked for Miami because Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown could run past you or through you if they had to in order to move the chains. Now teams started looking for a "wildcat quarterback" which just doesn't exist in the NFL. With the right people, you could roll it out there 5 or 6 plays a game when you wanted to control the ball. I do think it is going to vanish completely however as this league is all about throwing the ball.
It seems to be a manifestation of/experimentation with old school football, when there were a LOT more rushing plays. NFL QBs didn't get 50% completion percentages regularly until somewhere around the 1950s. But "old school football" doesn't work anymore with the strength and speed of players on defense now. Tim Tebow might have been the last somewhat decent old school QB in the NFL last year. He obviously dominated in the college scene but he was able to pass decently there. His game doesn't seem to be working with the Jets. In order to succeed in the NFL, you HAVE to pass better than 50% regularly.

Reaction Score
The fact that only the Jets and UConn still run this gimmick says something. The only thing Wildcat is good at is generating lots of false starts.

Reaction Score
It is still possible to catch defenses off guard, but only if you throw some diverse plays into the Wildcat equation. For instance, Mo Sanu threw a long TD pass out of the Wildcat for Cinci yesterday. Totally caught the Redskins peeking into the back field.
Obviously this is far from the norm, but it can be done. Some coaches just seem allergic to diversity in playcalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom