Oh, Hello Katie Lou Goodbye Heart | The Boneyard

Oh, Hello Katie Lou Goodbye Heart

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, Excelle's player of the week is Lou. Their brief description refutes one of my esteemed colleagues critiques. Can you find it?

"Samuelson had an incredible week scoring a career-high 34 points to help the Huskies win, 98-58, on Tuesday night against Tulsa. She was 7 of 12 from behind the arc and 13 of 18 from the field. Her impressive week started Saturday when she came within one point of tying her career high with 28 points in UConn’s record-breaking win over SMU. The standout sophomore has been a key player for the unbeaten Huskies, who broke their own 91-game winning streak that night, with Samuelson adding three steals, three assists and six rebounds in the win."

Athlete of the week: UConn's Samuelson posts crazy points for record wins

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Samuelson made 13 of 18 field goals, including 7 of 12 three-pointers. Her performance left Auriemma saying she could someday join the school’s all-time greats.

“She’s on the right track,” he said. “What’s going to be the deciding factor is, what does Lou want to be? One of the best players in college? Does she want to be one of the best shooters? Or does she want to be talked about as one of the best players ever at Connecticut?”
Katie Lou Samuelson has career night in UConn's 92nd straight win

Pardon me for quoting that rag, but they have the quote. This is Geno's way of saying I love her, so I'll beat on her for another 2 1/2 years.

Reaction Score
What Geno's saying is that 6 boards (at least 1 fell into her lap) is good, but that she need 8 or 9 boards against good competition to be really great :)

I'm curious, where did Geno say this? I must have missed it. You have a tendency to belittle KLS on every turn regarding her so-called lack of rebounding. It's not her primary job. Why can't you see and understand this? The stab of "at least 1 fell into her lap" was an uncalled for cheap shot and not in keeping with meaningful reality. Every player on this team (any team for that matter) has rebounds fall into their laps, just as all inside players pickup tons of "garbage" points off high percentage two-foot or less put backs.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm curious, where did Geno say this? I must have missed it. You have a tendency to belittle KLS on every turn regarding her so-called lack of rebounding. It's not her primary job. Why can't you see and understand this? The stab of "at least 1 fell into her lap" was an uncalled for cheap shot and not in keeping with meaningful reality. Every player on this team (any team for that matter) has rebounds fall into their laps, just as all inside players pickup tons of "garbage" points off high percentage two-foot or less put backs.

Rebounding is about "want to" as much as athletic skill, according to KLS's coaching staff. They want her to be a more aggresive rebounder, and not just pick up the easy ones that fall to the floor. Nothing bitter in that. Aggressive rebounding is something that most any coach would want. Katie Lou has grown a bunch in the last year, and you can rest assured that she will be more of a presence on the glass as time unfolds. She has started driving to the rim more, and look how that has changed the game. I won't criticize Bags for seeing and citing what Geno has also seen and addressed.

Reaction Score
Thanks, BigBird. I was typing this as you posted:

Geno never said it: my smile at the end is a way of ribbing Rocky, that's all. But Geno has certainly called her out publicly for her lack of rebounding.

Go back to Fall, 2015 threads and see who defends Lou at every turn against doubters when Lou couldn't hit the broad side of a barn: I was among her strongest supporters and still am. I think she's fantastic. But I think if she wants to maximize her professional aspirations, she needs to learn to rebound more aggressively. Next year, there won't be any room for her underneath and so she'll only get that skill if she learns it this year when, frankly, they may well need her against South Carolina and if they meet Baylor again. She's the tallest starter and needs to play like that.

Reaction Score

Geno never said it: my smile at the end is a way of ribbing Rocky, that's all. But Geno has certainly called her out publicly for her lack of rebounding.

Go back to Fall, 2015 threads and see who defends Lou at every turn against doubters when Lou couldn't hit the broad side of a barn: I was among her strongest supporters and still am. I think she's fantastic. But I think if she wants to maximize her professional aspirations, she needs to learn to rebound more aggressively. Next year, there won't be any room for her underneath and so she'll only get that skill if she learns it this year when, frankly, they may well need her against South Carolina and if they meet Baylor again. She's the tallest starter and needs to play like that.

I think you are both right. I was wondering why you said, "at least one fell in her lap," when it happens on foul shots a bunch of times for Pheese and Gabby. Thanks for pointing out the reason : - ) I do think its important to realize a few things regarding her rebounding numbers. She is a perimeter defender and she has about double the avg than the other guards. Never heard anyone ever say Kia needs to be getting more rebounds. She also has more steals and blocks than any guard. Which Kia is the interesting comparison because everyone considers Kia a steller defender. Now I realize stats are not everything but this at least shows she is no slouch. I also watch to see if Lou is active and boxing out her opponent which helps Gabby and Pheese get the boards. Plus I see Gabby and Pheese rebound their own misses, hard to do on 3pt attempts.

Last point, she can improve and get better so its valid to critique her since she is 6'3" and one of the best players in the county. We just need to have the right context.

## Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
33 Samuelson, Katie Lo 17-17 544 32.0 128-256 .500 62-134 .463 45-56 .804 16 55 71 4.2 29 0 45 35 6 23 363 21.4
11 Nurse, Kia......... 17-17 565 33.2 68-152 .447 34-79 .430 47-55 .855 5 35 40 2.4 30 1 68 34 1 12 217 12.8
12 Chong, Saniya...... 15-14 375 25.0 36-69 .522 15-33 .455 16-24 .667 9 23 32 2.1 15 1 54 13 2 18 103 6.9

Reaction Score

Sorry, but you adding an emoji at the end of a sentence doesn't indicate it's a rib ... all or part. I'm greatly surprised that you haven't learned how Geno motivates his players, especially those he considers having the greatest potential. Again, you are unnecessarily concerned about Lou's potential as a rebounding professional. Rebounding will never be Lou's best asset to any team nor would you want it to be. Being the tallest player among the starters does not automatically mandate that she get the most rebounds and score the most points. Please let Geno and his staff handle the motivation and you learn to relax and enjoy the results.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but you adding an emoji at the end of a sentence doesn't indicate it's a rib ... all or part. I'm greatly surprised that you haven't learned how Geno motivates his players, especially those he considers having the greatest potential. Again, you are unnecessarily concerned about Lou's potential as a rebounding professional. Rebounding will never be Lou's best asset to any team nor would you want it to be. Being the tallest player among the starters does not automatically mandate that she get the most rebounds and score the most points. Please let Geno and his staff handle the motivation and you learn to relax and enjoy the results.

Who are you? I don't mean the question in an offending way. Did you watch Lou live in high school often?

Anyhow I don't think bags is saying "bad" especially as much as you are making it out to be.

For example, I heard that one of Lou's favorite player's or a player she wishes to emulate the most is Larry Bird, isn't it? So what parts of her game do you think she needs to work on the most to be more like Larry Bird? She doesn't have to be "Larry Bird" but don't you think she should try to be more than just a wing? If she were to be a pf on offense and on defense what would she need to better at in your opinion?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Who are you? I don't mean the question in an offending way. Did you watch Lou live in high school often?

Anyhow I don't think bags is saying "bad" especially as much as you are making it out to be.

For example, I heard that one of Lou's favorite player's or a player she wishes to emulate the most is Larry Bird, isn't it? So what parts of her game do you think she needs to work on the most to be more like Larry Bird? She doesn't have to be "Larry Bird" but don't you think she should try to be more than just a wing? If she were to be a pf on offense and on defense what would she need to better at in your opinion?
maybe mom or dad!

but this thread is crazy about "falling in her lap" is kind of silly to be getting defensive about.

now that KLS is scoring (not that she wasnt) everyone thinks Geno is a genius for "ripping her heart out" and putting a new one in... smh

Reaction Score
So, Excelle's player of the week is Lou. Their brief description refutes one of my esteemed colleagues critiques. Can you find it?

"Samuelson had an incredible week scoring a career-high 34 points to help the Huskies win, 98-58, on Tuesday night against Tulsa. She was 7 of 12 from behind the arc and 13 of 18 from the field. Her impressive week started Saturday when she came within one point of tying her career high with 28 points in UConn’s record-breaking win over SMU. The standout sophomore has been a key player for the unbeaten Huskies, who broke their own 91-game winning streak that night, with Samuelson adding three steals, three assists and six rebounds in the win."

Athlete of the week: UConn's Samuelson posts crazy points for record wins

I believe even the greatest Diana Taurasi once was challenged by Geno about her rebounding. In one particular game he asked her to get 10 rebounds or more. Of course
she got exactly 10. Let us let the coaches coach and let us enjoy the ride.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Head bang:confused: I have always thought it funny how so many people get defensive when constructive evaluation/criticism is given to a player or a team... As if ANY of the player's ANYWHERE are perfect..

They all have weaknesses, and if they are only content hearing about what they do well, how would there ever be any meaningful growth... This is main reason why Geno is the successful coach that he is. He is always motivating his players to improve, and to strengthen their weaknesses... Challenging them to be better each day..

This is why most of the players choose to go to Storrs by the way, to be pushed beyond what they think they can accomplish, so I really don't get all the sensitivity and over protectiveness coming from us fans as there's really nothing said on this board that all of them haven't heard or worst from their coaching staff at one point or the other..

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is a forum for discussion and that is exactly what we are doing with many common, some divergent opinions. For me, as an absolute KLS supporter, I understand Bags comments on rebounding though it did sound a bit snarky and his emoji was not clarifying enough for me either. That said, I enjoy his views and did not take umbrage with it but I am more aligned with Humblepie and would say it's ok for his points he is querying back in that others adding on in defense should probably be less confrontational and let Bags speak for himself if he feels offended. Likewise if anyone else feels offended by my 2 cents please advise as that is not my intent as I have to much fun and enjoyment on this site to become an irritant poster.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Defense88. I'd like to speak up, if only to put an end to this distraction. I'm certainly not offended by your post, which seems quite judicious. But I'd like HumblePie (whose advice doesn't seem so very humble to me) to reread his/her comments and perhaps appreciate that s/he's instructing me what to think and what to write. I realize I am outspoken in commenting on what appears to me Lou's lack of commitment to rebounding, since: 1. I otherwise am enthralled by her game; and 2. she's, rightly, a board favorite. So, I anticipate criticism on this, but I trust people can appreciate that I critique Lou's rebounding because I think she could be an absolutely awesome professional and, FWIW, think she needs to develop that skill in order to be one. What I guess I didn't anticipate is being lectured to on what I should or should not think, write, or enjoy. If someone disagrees with my analysis or claims, great; but then argue over the facts rather than say that the poster is wrong to express that opinion. Over and out on this topic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Katie Lou is not going to rebound like Gabby and Napheesa because the players she guards when playing defense play more on the perimeter. Also, on offense she plays more on the perimeter than Gabby and Napheesa. Everybody can get better at everything; however, Gabby and Napheesa will never shoot the 3 like Lou, although Napheesa does have the range, but she mostly plays close to the basket on offense.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou is not going to rebound like Gabby and Napheesa because the players she guards when playing defense play more on the perimeter. Also, on offense she plays more on the perimeter than Gabby and Napheesa. Everybody can get better at everything; however, Gabby and Napheesa will never shoot the 3 like Lou, although Napheesa does have the range, but she mostly plays close to the basket on offense.
Right: that Lou tends to guard guards was noted above and I really appreciate that we're discussing basketball.

Okay, look closely at the tapes. Lou passes up a significant number of opportunities to go after boards even when they are in her range of movement. She still primarily lets the ball come to her, rather than anticipating and going after it. Lou jumps well and otherwise invites physical contact (she's absolutely fearless on her own drives and in taking charges). I think she's quite capable of 3 or 4 more boards/game and against certain teams this year that may well be the margin of victory. As I keep saying, she's the tallest starter (by 2") and on the boards doesn't play like it. But again, I hope no one thinks that because of this I'm not a huge fan, because I am. Some players cannot improve very much in some areas. But I think Lou can be a lot better rebounder, is all I'm saying.

Reaction Score
Right: that Lou tends to guard guards was noted above and I really appreciate that we're discussing basketball.

Okay, look closely at the tapes. Lou passes up a significant number of opportunities to go after boards even when they are in her range of movement. She still primarily lets the ball come to her, rather than anticipating and going after it. Lou jumps well and otherwise invites physical contact (she's absolutely fearless on her own drives and in taking charges). I think she's quite capable of 3 or 4 more boards/game and against certain teams this year that may well be the margin of victory. As I keep saying, she's the tallest starter (by 2") and on the boards doesn't play like it. But again, I hope no one thinks that because of this I'm not a huge fan, because I am. Some players cannot improve very much in some areas. But I think Lou can be a lot better rebounder, is all I'm saying.

Reaction Score
As great as Lou is rebounding is the one thing she can improve doing.I am willing to bet we will see that from now on.

Reaction Score

You know Bags27 I went back and watched a bit more closely. I had posted before she is the best rebounding guard on team by about 2x and another point I thought of was all players can't crash because they need to stop the fast break. But..... I see your point and she kind of stands in a spot watching the ball if the slightest body is on her. She doesn't consistently fight her way to the ball. If she is not dropping back then she should be aggressively attacking the glass.

Reaction Score
You know Bags27 I went back and watched a bit more closely. I had posted before she is the best rebounding guard on team by about 2x and another point I thought of was all players can't crash because they need to stop the fast break. But..... I see your point and she kind of stands in a spot watching the ball if the slightest body is on her. She doesn't consistently fight her way to the ball. If she is not dropping back then she should be aggressively attacking the glass.
That's what I keep seeing, too. The problem for me, at least, is that once I begin seeing it, it's all I can see. Because she has such enormous talent, I feel like just a little change in determination or something could add a lot to her game. Thanks so very much for both testing the hypothesis and for being candid.

Reaction Score
Kls gets beat up all game. If she fights for rebounds and gets hurt uconns season is over.

Reaction Score
I thought bags27's comment was hilarious and in no way disparaging to Lou... If you take things on here too seriously, then that's on you... don't rag on bags because you can't get it...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom