Know that NLI hasn't been signed but...

?2014 Commit Ben Freeman

chnews
9:58am via CHN Social
Commitment Q&A: UConn's Ben Freeman
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2013/10/15_commitment_qa_uconns_ben.php

goalmouthradio
Oct 11, 4:57pm via Web
Freeman is playing prep at Northfield Mount Hermon, the same school where Derek Pratt, another UConn recruit, played.

goalmouthradio
Oct 11, 4:59pm via Web
Freeman is listed at 6'4'' and 183 lbs as a RW, he's a 1996 born forward.

goalmouthradio
Oct 11, 5:03pm via Web
Scouting report suggests Freeman is a gifted player with the puck with offensive upside.

Reaction Score
Medic...Cav, Souza! and Joe P seem to have hit the ground running recruiting wise. I think it helps that the quality education UCONN provides is on equal or better footing than it's future HE conference mates.

Reaction Score
goalmouthradio
11:44am via Twitter for Android
Corey Ronan commits to UConn. Details to follow.

USHRhockey
12:08pm via Web
5-9/175 lb. St. Sebastian's senior F Corey Ronan has committed to UConn for next fall ('14). Late '95 has high-end speed, and competes hard.

SBNCollegePuck
1:04pm via SB Nation
St. Sebastian's forward Corey Ronan (@Cronan10) committed to UConn, #AHA#HockeyEast sbn.to/1cTr21X

>>Ronan is a small forward most known for his speed. He's the son of Ed Ronan, a former Boston University star who was drafted and played for several years with the Montreal Canadiens. His cousin, Matt, is currently a senior forward at Boston University. His father was high school teammates of Cavanaugh.

Ronan played for the United States at the 2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament. His USHL rights are owned by the Muskegon Lumberjacks. It is assumed he'll spend next season playing in either the USHL or the newly formed USPHL.<<

Reaction Score
Add one - lose one:

“@USHRhockey: 93 F Austin Azaurdia (Langley-BCHL), a former UConn commit, will instead play his college hockey at UAA. leads Langley in goals.” Home state is Washington.

Reaction Score
USHRhockey12:03pm via Web
5-10/160 lb. RC Kasperi Ojantakanen, a '95 w/ Jokerit U20, has committed to UConn for '14. 3-zone player is 5th in league scoring w/ a +15.

goalmouthradio11:56am via Web
Ojantakanen hails from Helsinki, Finland. He currently plays for Jokerit U20 team and is Top 10 in league scoring.

goalmouthradio12:02pm via Web
Centerman is listed at 5'10'' and 154 pounds at 18 years old. UConn's recruiting prowess in Europe continues to show growth of program

Reaction Score
Very, very impressive recruiting. I think Cavanaugh can turn us into a powerhouse.

Reaction Score
From a recently filed Courant story from Mike Anthony:

"Also, Karl El-Mir, a forward from Montreal who plays for the U-18 team the Selects Academy at the South Kent School, has kept his commitment to UConn and is said to have been on a visit to Storrs Thursday. He'll debut for the Huskies in either 2014-15 or 2015-16."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/touch/story.html?id=9202073

>>Local talent shining south of border

South Kent School, a prep school in Connecticut, has beefed up its hockey program with a midget Triple-A calibre schedule. Most prep schools in New England play a maximum of 33 games, but the Selects Academy program at South Kent plays as many as 60 in programs for under-16 and under-18 players. The NCAA recruiting season opened this week and four South Kent players, including right-winger Karl El-Mir of Montreal accepted scholarships from Division I school. El-Mir will enrol next fall at the University of Connecticut.<<

Reaction Score
Future Huskies' Icemen Excerpt from linked article:

"Dec. 4, 2013 STORRS, Conn. – Head coach Mike Cavanaugh and the University of Connecticut men’s hockey program announced that seven student-athletes have signed National Letters of Intent during the fall early signing period to play for the Huskies. Jeff Wight (Coquitlam, British Columbia), Corey Ronan (Franklin, Mass.), Will Golonka (Carlisle, Mass.), Jesse Schwartz (Toronto, Ontario), Miles Gendron (Shrewsbury, Mass.), Derrick Pratt (Mount Hermon, Mass.) and Karl El-Mir (Greenfield Park, Quebec) have all committed to attend UConn."

Reaction Score

"Dec. 4, 2013 STORRS, Conn. – Head coach Mike Cavanaugh and the University of Connecticut men’s hockey program announced that seven student-athletes have signed National Letters of Intent during the fall early signing period to play for the Huskies. Jeff Wight (Coquitlam, British Columbia), Corey Ronan (Franklin, Mass.), Will Golonka (Carlisle, Mass.), Jesse Schwartz (Toronto, Ontario), Miles Gendron (Shrewsbury, Mass.), Derrick Pratt (Mount Hermon, Mass.) and Karl El-Mir (Greenfield Park, Quebec) have all committed to attend UConn."
Any idea on how good this class is. How does this rank vs past UConn classes and also against our future Hockey East competition. I literally have zero knowledge on college hockey recruiting. But if I was to guess I would say it is UConn best class ever , but not yet up to par to other Hockey east teams. Any info would be appreciated

Reaction Score
Supposedly a recruit who is a soph at Avon Old Farms Acad. who is considered a top notch recruit committed to UConn a few months ago.

Reaction Score
Any idea on how good this class is. How does this rank vs past UConn classes and also against our future Hockey East competition. I literally have zero knowledge on college hockey recruiting. But if I was to guess I would say it is UConn best class ever , but not yet up to par to other Hockey east teams. Any info would be appreciated
Most likely at the very bottom. Look at the competition. This is going to take a while to build.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hoc...ine-bu-unh-providence-notre-dame-northeastern

Reaction Score
Any word yet on UConn's plans for a on-campus rink? I saw at one point that a spring announcement was expected. As long as UConn due to lack of facilities and/or political issues does not plan to keep the hockey team in Hartford for the long-term, I will be happy.

Reaction Score
Any word yet on UConn's plans for a on-campus rink? I saw at one point that a spring announcement was expected. As long as UConn due to lack of facilities and/or political issues does not plan to keep the hockey team in Hartford for the long-term, I will be happy.

It's going to cost a lot of money, a lot. With bball facility still not paid for, going to be tough to see it soon.

Reaction Score
It's going to cost a lot of money, a lot. With bball facility still not paid for, going to be tough to see it soon.
They have to have plans and a date project will start by either the spring of 2014 or 2015 per the requirements of their HE membership.

Reaction Score
I think that is probably a fair assessment. Big upgrade for UConn but probably lower than most Hockey East programs. Still some very good hockey players in this group.

Reaction Score
They have to have plans and a date project will start by either the spring of 2014 or 2015 per the requirements of their HE membership.

Thanks. I just read a story on the Courant that Malloy is shaking the NHL tree for Hartford again. I think he’s fishing for more money for the XL. I do not belevie that Hartford is big enough to support an NHL team, not with 4 teams (Bruins, Rangers, Islanders, Devils) all within a 2 hour drive. The only counter-argument I have is that Hartford makes more sense as a NHL team than Phoenix, Tampa, Miami, etc. Plus, even after a multi-million dollar renovation can the XL host a NHL team today. Too small, too old, and not enough suites.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Thanks. I just read a story on the Courant that Malloy is shaking the NHL tree for Hartford again. I think he’s fishing for more money for the XL. I do not belevie that Hartford is big enough to support an NHL team, not with 4 teams (Bruins, Rangers, Islanders, Devils) all within a 2 hour drive. The only counter-argument I have is that Hartford makes more sense as a NHL team than Phoenix, Tampa, Miami, etc. Plus, even after a multi-million dollar renovation can the XL host a NHL team today. Too small, too old, and not enough suites.

Honestly, I think Hartford's chance at an NHL team started to go away when the Devils built a new arena in Newark and evaporated completely the second the broke ground on Barclays in Brooklyn.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think Hartford's chance at an NHL team started to go away when the Devils built a new arena in Newark and evaporated completely the second the broke ground on Barclays in Brooklyn.

How? Would those teams ever leave their respective regions (L.I/NYC) for Hartford? there was little chance of Islanders going to Connecticut, or Devils leaving NJ... so I don't think it makes much of a difference.

It would be nice for Hartford to have an NHL team... but they gotta build a new arena and I don't know how much of a market their is in CT for pro sports. The state seems to be split between Bos/NYC teams... but if they ever do, imagine how great that would be for Connecticut M&W Basketball/Ice Hockey!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
How? Would those teams ever leave their respective regions (L.I/NYC) for Hartford? there was little chance of Islanders going to Connecticut, or Devils leaving NJ... so I don't think it makes much of a difference.

It would be nice for Hartford to have an NHL team... but they gotta build a new arena and I don't know how much of a market their is in CT for pro sports. The state seems to be split between Bos/NYC teams... but if they ever do, imagine how great that would be for Connecticut M&W Basketball/Ice Hockey!
I don't think the NHL would put a new team in here with so many teams already... and when the Devils and Islanders arena situations stabilized the chances of them relocating diminished.
The Devils absolutely were in trouble. They still don't draw particularly well. Heck there was talk this summer about the Devils moving to Seattle.If Hartford had a viable arena sooner there was probably a decent chance. The Devil's actually have a bit of the same thing you point to in CT. Split fans between the Rangers and the Flyers.

While I'd love to see a new arena in Hartford and a new NHL team. I'd rather they spend the money on a nice new facility in Storrs like a kicked up version of Quinnipiac's facility.

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:

The associated press had a story about Uconn being in the process of creating a master development plan to be completed in the next year. The hockey arena was mentioned in it as being part of that plan. That tells me we are at least a year of planning away from being ready to start constructing an arena.

Reaction Score
The associated press had a story about Uconn being in the process of creating a master development plan to be completed in the next year. The hockey arena was mentioned in it as being part of that plan.
"Even planned development that isn't part of the Next Generation project, such as the siting of a new on-campus hockey arena or baseball stadium, will be part of the master plan, Cruickshank said."

"The school's board of trustees approved spending $2 million to help develop a master plan to determine what UConn will look like for the next 100 years. The plan, which is expected to be ready in a year, will encompass everything from deciding where to place buildings, to creating a better traffic flow, and creating a look and feel that will pull the campus together."

More information directly from UCONN:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

A kid from Franklin, cool. I've lived in Franklin the last 10+ years. And another from Shrewsbury and Carlisle, he's hitting suburban Boston pretty well.

Looks like Ronan's dad played for the Canadiens and Corey made the USA Select under 18 team. Not bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom