Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Seems like he put on some serious weight since his commitment. I believe he was around 165 around the time?
Dogg the USNTDP's strength & conditioning program is second to none. It is one of the reasons that USA hockey has made the strides it has. I'm interested to see the strength difference between Thompson and Masonius compared to some of the kids who came in as freshman last yr.

Reaction Score
Chad Krys (Ridgefield, CT) committed to BU today. His father played at BU so he was a long shot to come to UConn.

Will be a top ten draft pick next year. Major, elite defenseman. He is a possible one and done at BU.
Kind of tough to over come the legacy thing here.

Reaction Score
With Thompson and Letunov...they get kids who can legitimately put the puck in the net...something we all know was an issue last yr. With Masonius it gives them a qb for the PP...which is also HUGE!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tage Thompson's younger brother, Tyce, commits to Providence.

Reaction Score
NHL central scouting pre season watch list for the 2016 draft came out today.

Tage Thompson given a B ranking which means he is a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick candidate.

Adam Karashik given a C ranking which means he is a 4th, 5th, or 6th round draft pick candidate.

Full list is here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=780838

Reaction Score
Jeff Cox‏@JeffCoxSports 29m29 minutes ago

Didn't make it to Yale Showcase b/c of HE exhib games. Heard from 2 scouts who were that UConn commit Adam Karashik was best player there.

Reaction Score
Mark Divver @MarkDivver
Ludvig Hoff of @LincolnStars visited Providence College this week. '96 Norwegian is tied for USHL scoring lead with 6-4-10 in 7 games

Jeff Cox
‏@JeffCoxSports
10h10 hours ago

Also has serious interest from Northeastern, UConn and Maine among others https://twitter.com/markdivver/status/657002554799366144…

Jeff Cox‏@JeffCoxSports Oct 1

Told interest heating up in 2nd year Lincoln Stars LW Ludvig Hoff. Norway native has received 3 offers in past week from Hockey East teams.

Scott Herbst‏@herbst20 Oct 1

@JeffCoxSports would guess UConn was one. Say their scout talking to him after the game Saturday

Reaction Score
Tim_Fontenault 10:42am via Twitter for iPhone
UConn hockey fans, @JeffCoxSports mentions 15-year-old Husky commit @DrewElser13 in this story. Give it a read
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...rfield-yale-selects-academy-northern-cyclones

"A Players":

Elser, Drew
Selects Academy #8 - LW - 5'11" 170 - 1/13/00 (UConn)
He has elite speed - fastest player in the tournament by a mile. He gets on pucks and on his man so fast. His speed creates turnovers and when he's in control, his speed leaves opposing defenders in the dust. He was taken off top line in order to create more balance.

Reaction Score
Prep Hockey Preview: 2016 NHL Draft Prospects
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...al-scouting-avon-old-farms-thayer-westminster

>>
Karashik, Adam - Avon Old Farms #16 - 5'10.5" 174 - RD - 1/15/98 (UConn)

Don't let his size fool you. He's an above average skater who can play solid defensively. He makes great hip checks as he closes players out to the boards coming down their left wing. He has a good one-timer, has decent vision and can make solid lead passes. When you think of defensemen with his size and skating ability, you gravitate towards what he can accomplish on the offensive side of the puck. However, don't sleep on his defensive game.<<

Reaction Score
Current incoming recruiting class of 2016 update:
(Ages listed are their ages when 2016-17 season starts)

Tyson McClellan (20 years old) (F) (Madison Capitols of USHL): 5 goals, 9 assists in 29 games.

Bryan Nelson (20 years old) (D) (West Kelowna Warriors of BCHL): 1 goal, 4 assists in 34 games.

Ben Freeman (20 years old) (F) (CT Junior Rangers of USPHL): 8 goals, 14 assists in 26 games. Transferred to Tri-City Storm of USHL on December 9, 2015 because Storm have three players at the world juniors. Has 0 points in 3 games. Probably will go back to USPHL when the world junior players return.

Will Garin (18 years old) (F) (Holy Family High School (Minnesota)): 14 goals, 13 assists in 12 games. Team is currently ranked #4 in the state.

Do not know if Adam Karashik (18 years old) (D) (Avon Old Farms) will be part of this class or next. 1 goal, 7 assists in 9 games.

Reaction Score
Current incoming recruiting class of 2016 update:
(Ages listed are their ages when 2016-17 season starts)

Tyson McClellan (20 years old) (F) (Madison Capitols of USHL): 5 goals, 9 assists in 29 games.

Bryan Nelson (20 years old) (D) (West Kelowna Warriors of BCHL): 1 goal, 4 assists in 34 games.

Ben Freeman (20 years old) (F) (CT Junior Rangers of USPHL): 8 goals, 14 assists in 26 games. Transferred to Tri-City Storm of USHL on December 9, 2015 because Storm have three players at the world juniors. Has 0 points in 3 games. Probably will go back to USPHL when the world junior players return.

Will Garin (18 years old) (F) (Holy Family High School (Minnesota)): 14 goals, 13 assists in 12 games. Team is currently ranked #4 in the state.

Do not know if Adam Karashik (18 years old) (D) (Avon Old Farms) will be part of this class or next. 1 goal, 7 assists in 9 games.
Hopefully McLellan, Freeman and Nelson will help provide some physical maturity that seems to be lacking this season. I'm not sold on the S&C program..the Soph and Jr's seem Behind physically where they should be after spending time with a college S&C coach.

Reaction Score
Hopefully McLellan, Freeman and Nelson will help provide some physical maturity that seems to be lacking this season. I'm not sold on the S&C program..the Soph and Jr's seem Behind physically where they should be after spending time with a college S&C coach.
I am not impressed with this incoming class. In its current form, I believe its the worst class in Hockey East. This team needs to bring in a couple instant impact guys at the forward position next season.

In addition, I agree with you on the sophomores and juniors. Too many busts for a team that cannot really afford many. In the offseason, I would be surprised if there are not changes to the roster with players not returning.

The team is getting nothing out of Ojantakanen, Golonka (played in the first two games and only one since), Wight, and Segalla. For a BC transfer, Richardson has not given this team much and they are not getting much out of Schwartz. Naas has not been that great either this season.

I personally thought Ojantakanen, Wight, and Schwartz would be having much better years. Wight and Schwartz were a point a game players in the BCHL but here Cavanaugh is not getting much out of them. Other than a little streak with Naas and Ronan last season, Ojantakanen has provided little. I remember Cavanaugh said he would be disappointed if there was not a big improvement with Ojantakanen and Schwartz this season. Well, there has not been.

I would hate to see where this team would be if they did not get fortunate with Masonius and Letunov.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom