Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
^ This is vital for UConn hockey...unless they know they are going B1G soon and don't have the same on-campus arena requirement as Hockey East. Even so, I think an on-campus arena should be built even if they split the schedule like basketball. College players love the excitement generated from college student fans and robbing them of that might not be good for future recruiting. XL hockey games (except for BC) are the same as XL hoops games: corporate.
No matter what B1G or not the facility on campus has to be built Dooley. If it isn't there is no way they will be able to recruit kids with the facility that's there now.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No matter what B1G or not the facility on campus has to be built Dooley. If it isn't there is no way they will be able to recruit kids with the facility that's there now.

Oh I agree. I"m just thinking more along the lines of timetables, that's all. Hockey East admission was contingent on an on-campus arena being built. They obviously haven't broken ground on one yet. I don't know if B1G hockey would have the same *immediate* requirement. I also don't know how urgent building one is to Hockey East.

But yes, they need to build one on campus at some point for the future of the program. The facility they have now is not even as good as many CT high school prep schools.

Reaction Score
Going to the B1G would only further necessitate the on campus facility issue. To compete for the western recruits, having the facility on campus would be vital to luring them all the way out here. Not to mention none of the B1G schools are going to want to fly out east to play games on Tuesdays because the circus is in town at the XL that weekend. A HE school can hop a bus, but flying out for a Tuesday is a nonstarter and would only be another obstacle to a B1G invite.

Reaction Score
On another note...the UNH fans on USCHO are now calling UCONN the UMaine South the school with lax admissions. My opinion...UCONN has more dealing with foreign athletes/students (by foreign I mean non-North American) than UNH

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
On another note...the UNH fans on USCHO are now calling UCONN the UMaine South the school with lax admissions. My opinion...UCONN has more dealing with foreign athletes/students (by foreign I mean non-North American) than UNH

Don't these schools play soccer?? :) You'd think the admissions offices would be able to put it together.

Chalk it up to one of the advantages we have over many of our HE competitors. Hoops, football (mostly Canada) and soccer all have admitted foreign student athlete history. Now the same process can translate well into hockey.

Reaction Score
BB the wet blanket just like when he attempted to discredit our HE leading attendance on Twitter. See you on the ice. :mad:

Reaction Score
UNH fans? Good lord that place has the academic prowess of a preschool. BU didn't even reject Letunov because his grades were bad, they just didn't accept his Russian classes as sufficient for credit. Typical of UNH fans not to read before commenting.

Reaction Score
UNH fans? Good lord that place has the academic prowess of a preschool. BU didn't even reject Letunov because his grades were bad, they just didn't accept his Russian classes as sufficient for credit. Typical of UNH fans not to read before commenting.
Yeah...they crack me up ver there. Especially Chuck Murray...his deep hatred for Cav is pretty obvious...LOL. When Masonius didn't go to UNH because of what they called a "admissions issue" and showed up at UCONN that sealed the deal in their eyes about UCONN's academics I guess. What I have found interesting about UNH is this...when Borek left for PC Masons decimated shortly after.,,,I thought he was going to end up at PC. It was after Souza was mentioned going to UNH that Masons committed to UCONN. Now Letunov...I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist here..BUT this is the Boneyard...could it be that Periera was the better recruiter of the 2...and that maybe Joe P and Buckley are a better recruiting tandem getting in the door so Cav can close? I liked Souza...and since I sat directly behind he bench last season...I got to watch him with the kids..and they all seemed to like him a lot. It's just a thought....

Reaction Score
Letunov gives the team what it desperately needs, a high end playmaking forward. Hopefully, he shows up this year. His offensive playmaking is needed.

A power play of Gendron, Masonius, and Letunov is not bad at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From sbncollegehockey.com:

Originally born in Moscow, Russia, Letunov played last season with the Dallas Stars AAA program. He led the Stars in scoring with 66 points, while the next highest teammate scored 45. Those 66 points were good enough to finish sixth in overall league scoring.

Letunov was rated as a 'C' skater by NHL Central Scouting for this year's upcoming NHL Draft. He's a very explosive skater with good hands and hockey sense. The biggest thing holding Letunov back from being an elite player is a lack of physical strength. Central Scouting lists him at 6'2.5" 155 lbs., the lightest USHL player listed by 10 lbs. Once he continues to fill out, Letunov is the type of player with incredible upside.

Reaction Score
From sbncollegehockey.com:

Originally born in Moscow, Russia, Letunov played last season with the Dallas Stars AAA program. He led the Stars in scoring with 66 points, while the next highest teammate scored 45. Those 66 points were good enough to finish sixth in overall league scoring.

Letunov was rated as a 'C' skater by NHL Central Scouting for this year's upcoming NHL Draft. He's a very explosive skater with good hands and hockey sense. The biggest thing holding Letunov back from being an elite player is a lack of physical strength. Central Scouting lists him at 6'2.5" 155 lbs., the lightest USHL player listed by 10 lbs. Once he continues to fill out, Letunov is the type of player with incredible upside.
Mac that must have been his draft profile from 2014

Reaction Score
Letunov gives the team what it desperately needs, a high end playmaking forward. Hopefully, he shows up this year. His offensive playmaking is needed.

A power play of Gendron, Masonius, and Letunov is not bad at all.

Don't forget to add tags Thompson to that PP group as well. This is gonna make for a fun year...and it will make for a special yr when Nichols is a SR...a year like UCONN hockey has never seen.

Reaction Score
here are Maxim Letunov's USHL Stats:
Youngstown Phantoms
2013-2014 Season

60 Games 19 Goals 24 Assists 43 Points 42 Penalty Min -17
2014-2015 Season
58 Games 25 Goals 39 Assists 64 Points 18 Penalty Min +7
2014-2015 Playoffs
4 Games 0 Goals 1 Assist 1 Point o Penalty Min -1

Total USHL Stats (Regular Season & Playoffs)
122 Games 44 Goals 64 Assists 108 Points 60 penalty Minutes -11

Reaction Score
Letunov, 19, a 6-foot-3 center who committed to BU over a year ago, was a second-round draft pick of the St. Louis Blues in 2014. In March, he was traded to the Coyotes for defenseman Zbynek Michalek and a third-round draft pick.

Reaction Score
Letunov, 19, a 6-foot-3 center who committed to BU over a year ago, was a second-round draft pick of the St. Louis Blues in 2014. In March, he was traded to the Coyotes for defenseman Zbynek Michalek and a third-round draft pick.
Pal this has been the topic of discussion in the men's hockey recruiting thread since Mike Anthony broke the news this morning....

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
^ This is vital for UConn hockey...unless they know they are going B1G soon and don't have the same on-campus arena requirement as Hockey East. Even so, I think an on-campus arena should be built even if they split the schedule like basketball. College players love the excitement generated from college student fans and robbing them of that might not be good for future recruiting. XL hockey games (except for BC) are the same as XL hoops games: corporate.
If offended by the insinuation that I behaved "corporate". Au contraire. I was in the corner on the glass near opposing goalie 2/3 periods. I was as offensive as I could be with kids around. This is hockey!

Reaction Score
ManthonyCourant 8:40pm via Twitter Web Client
Maxim Letunov with a little charisma when talking about UConn: "I heard they struggled on the power player last year. Not next year."

ManthonyCourant 8:42pm via Twitter Web Client
Maxim Letunov: "When I committed to BU, UConn wasn’t even in picture. But it’s great program because coaches have done a lot last 2 years.”

ManthonyCourant 8:43pm via Twitter Web Client
Maxim Letunov on UConn: "It's a program doing great things. I'll just be glad to be part of the team. I'm just really excited."

Reaction Score
Love the quote about the power play.

One of the biggest changes happening is the mindset within the program. The kids coming in have only known success, expect success and will not settle.

These first two recruiting classes under Cavanaugh will be looked back upon as when the mentality of what was expected within the program changed.

A culture of winning starts with a certain mindset and that mindset is being established.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom