Offense Tonight | The Boneyard

Offense Tonight

Reaction Score
Jay Wright had a point at half that we were saved by Cam creating his own shots. That SDSU played our O sets well.

I think we got them exhausted and had our way which is great. But I’m wondering if we’ve seen our offense have trouble this season like we did first half?

Interested to hear opinions on whether SDSU had a read that others haven’t, had a better D, etc. ISU will be tough if that’s who we see.

Great win. Go huskies.

Reaction Score
Not sure, I think it was just the refs let both teams play a bit more physical, lots of bumping/handchecking and we ended up settling for floaters

Reaction Score
Jay Wright had a point at half that we were saved by Cam creating his own shots. That SDSU played our O sets well.

I think we got them exhausted and had our way which is great. But I’m wondering if we’ve seen our offense have trouble this season like we did first half?

Interested to hear opinions on whether SDSU had a read that others haven’t, had a better D, etc. ISU will be tough if that’s who we see.

Great win. Go huskies.
#22 Kenpom, but #11 on Defense.

Reaction Score
We also missed a lot of bunnies in the first half we don’t normally miss. But that’s why this team is so dangerous. You cannot focus on one player because every player on the floor is capable of taking over.

Reaction Score

Great win. Go huskies.
We missed open shots and bunnies. We were our own worst enemy. SDSU played well but we put up 40 in the first half. Their defense wasnt the problem.

Reaction Score
The Kansas game in the first half. They were physical and pushed the offense out pretty far. The Kansas D really flustered the team, if you remember it was Tristan's hot shooting in that first half that kept us a float. Now that was early in the season so team hadn't really hit its stride with the offense and castle was out with his injury.

Reaction Score
The Kansas game in the first half. They were physical and pushed the offense out pretty far. The Kansas D really flustered the team, if you remember it was Tristan's hot shooting in that first half that kept us a float. Now that was early in the season so team hadn't really hit its stride with the offense and castle was out with his injury.
And having Castle is huge. He had 11 rebounds but he had 16 points and except for that dunk they weren’t flashy, just tough inside stuff he worked for with his strength. Getting fouled going 6-8 at the line. Incredible player.

Reaction Score
Huskies had 27 points in the first 9.5 minutes and then 6 points in the next 7 minutes. Was SDSU doing something differently during that 7 minute period or was UConn just missing shots?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Great win. Go huskies.

The exhaustion observation is well founded. So many times in the second half the opponent is wobbly and Diarra imposes his will with his strength and speed.

UConn plays like a champion boxer who jabs and moves, blocks and moves, and jabs some more. Seven or eight rounds in and then they turn it up another gear and get the TKO or KO.
SDSU had no legs the last 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
The exhaustion observation is well founded. So many times in the second half the opponent is wobbly and Diarra imposes his will with his strength and speed.

UConn plays like a champion boxer who jabs and moves, blocks and moves, and jabs some more. Seven or eight rounds in and then they turn it up another gear and get the TKO or KO.
Very well said

Reaction Score

Great win. Go huskies.
We still put up 40 points in the 1st half, we were hot for 7 or 8 minutes and regressed to the mean after. San Diego State was just so awful at rebounding that when we went cold it was 3 or 4 missed shots instead of 1 or 2

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Kansas and Creighton both did a good job of clogging passing lanes against us. Only 9 assists vs Kansas, 8 vs Creighton (2nd game L), and in the W vs Creighton, we had our worst shooting night of the year @35.7%.

Illinois' worst offensive games were vs Marquette (35%), Maryland (32.8%), and Indiana (37.8%). The first two make some sense, but Indiana's AdjD was like 81.

I saw nothing in Illinois game that suggests they could defend anything like KU or Creighton. We know what our defense can do. Honestly, they need to be more concerned with stopping us than we do with stopping them.

Reaction Score
Their coach said they played "under" everything and dropped a bit taking away our off backcuts and off ball actions going toward the basket. It worked when our perimeter and post-up shots went cold in first half. Our guards made some perimeter shots in 2nd half and also took the ball to the basket where they had no rim protection and either converted or drew a foul. Things opened up from there. Our 4 guards were terrific.

Reaction Score
I thought the Aztecs did a good job of defending our normal cuts in the latter part of the first half. Our first adjustment was to just let DC post up. That didn’t work. The second adjustment, made at the half, seemed to be to just tell Castle to take his man one on one. That worked fine. And then they did wear down, which helped Hass with fresher legs start getting really good shots.

But seeing there was a plan B for when the off ball screens and cuts wasn’t working was good.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I think that's about the time they realized it was too far out of hand for them to have a prayer of coming back. They knew their season was over, but had to take another ten minutes of beat-down. They were simply disheartened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom