OFFENSE(predictions) | The Boneyard

OFFENSE(predictions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey, Spring Football is rolling, lets throw some Depth Chart predictions out there for fun... 2 deep listed.

QB: Nebrich, McCummings -- I think we Redshirt Casey Cochran to get some depth chart separation. Nebrich has a year in the system as compared to Whitmer, who seem very similar in terms of physical ability.
RB: McCombs, Williams -- I think carries are 80-20 at the beginning of th year and 50-50 by Nov.
FB : Frank, Osieski -- Frank kind of looks like a G out there on the field with his size, this is hard to call with Osieski so new.
WR1 : Mike Smith, Tebucky Jones -- For WR, you know that almost all of the guys are going to get burn, but I think you see Tebucky Jones out there alot. consistently open last year, must catch the ball better.
WR2 : Shakim Phillips, Geremy Davis
SLot : Bryce McNeal, Kamal Abrams
TE : Griffin, Delahunt - Solid, Solid. I see this as a great growth opportunity for us in the passing game.
LT : Friend, Brown - Man, we are reallyyyyy thin on the edge. Lets hope we don't have any injuries. I have no confidence in Bennett getting/staying healthy, unfortunately.
RT : Masters, Gifford - Desperate times call for Masters at RT. We are much stronger on interior.
LG : Greene, Bullock - Area of improvement for Greene : his 'Matador' passblock technique
RG : Cruz, Bockeloh - I hope Cruz lives up to our NH recruiting standard
C : Mateas, Paull - Paull seems to be in the doghouse, Mateas has had positive reviews thus far.

I think we see a reasonable uptick in offensive production as long as our OLine holds together. we are in really rough shape here to the degree that if we have a key injury or two, any of the incoming freshman show they are physically ready, they may be shuttered into the 2-deep.

what you guys think?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
whitmer, nebrich, mccummings

mcneal some where in there for a wr slot

shoe before williams right now

Reaction Score
At QB - Definitely hoping Whitmer can come in and solidify the position... That's why we went after him, to come in and play NOW...

At RB - McCombs ( obvious ) and ( I hope ) DJ Shoemate - hoping he's ready to carry some of the load for us... In all honesty this kid was able to do pretty well in short yardage situations ( minus the fumbles and pre-injury )... We need him to be that powerback for us

AT WR - Like the depth chart, but in the slot I believe Nick Williams will be a part of that rotation.. no question... but his primary role, obviously, will center KR...

Reaction Score
At QB - Definitely hoping Whitmer can come in and solidify the position... That's why we went after him, to come in and play NOW...

At RB - McCombs ( obvious ) and ( I hope ) DJ Shoemate - hoping he's ready to carry some of the load for us... In all honesty this kid was able to do pretty well in short yardage situations ( minus the fumbles and pre-injury )... We need him to be that powerback for us

AT WR - Like the depth chart, but in the slot I believe Nick Williams will be a part of that rotation.. no question... but his primary role, obviously, will center KR...

Somehow forgot about Nicky Williams... definetly involved in the slot...

Reaction Score
What makes me comfortable, is that I can foresee any number of these guys actually being productive starters.....and what that means, is that there isn't going to be that much of a dropoff between the #1's and #2's on the depth chart........and that means better competition on the practice fields, which translates to better performance on the game field....and also means that if/when one player goes down, or gets banged up during the course of a game, or a season, the team doesn't come apart at the seams.

Big difference going into spring this year, than last on offense - and on defense for that matter. I believe Don Brown, when he said that this year he doesn't have to have a heart attack any time one of his linebackers is down on the field a little longer than usual after a tackle collision.

Reaction Score
Agree that N Williams will be used in slot - gives staff a chance to reclaim RS for either Foxx or Abrams (or both).

I believe Nebrich or Mac would have to WIN the QB position, I believe Whitmer would have to LOSE it.

I'm not entirely concerned about OL depth as every year we have a guy emerge unexpectedly

Reaction Score
I have a ton of concerns on offense, there are question marks at every position except rb, where we return an all league caliber player. I am anxious to hear about the qbs after each practice with pads. I can't even speculate as to how it will shake out. McEntee needs to show a great amount of improvement, Nebrich needs to show he has earned the staffs trust, McCummings would really help himself if he could show he can throw with some accuracy, and Whitmer needs to show his INT rate in JC was just a fluke. I try to be optimistic, but there is just so much uncertainty here.

At RB, we absolutely need to find a backup for McCombs. I laughed when I read how explosive some players looked at WR and RB. They are practicing in shorts!!! Of course they look explosive! Good to see Shoemate got another year, and decided to come back. Says a lot about him. At the very least, he is going to be a demon on special teams. Like everyone else, I am looking forward to seeing what Joe Williams can do. We need a back who can get 6-8 carries behind Lyle. Reuben Franks is ready to be the full time fullback, IMO. I loved what I saw last year. And he is another beast on specials.

WR I have no idea. Will Michael Smith cure the drops that plagued him 2 years ago? Is Nick Williams ready to make a more significant contribution in the slot? What will the transfers bring? Can Tebucky Jones and Geremy Davis progress? Again, I have zero idea. I still believe Geramy Davis has the most potential out of the group.

Offensive Line: I think we are going to end up with a solid starting group, with Kevin Friend developing into the best lineman. But I am concerned about depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom