Off Topic ...New Netflix Movie - Nyad | The Boneyard

Off Topic ...New Netflix Movie - Nyad

Reaction Score
We just watched the new Netflix movie on Diana Nyad's multiple attempts to swim from Cuba to Key West. It's actually a pretty entertaining, uplifting story, and there's a fine sound track. In a couple of scenes, Nyad's coach and bestie, Bonnie Stoll (played by Jodie Foster), appears in a sweatshirt emblazoned with our own favorite five letters -- UCONN. I haven't been able to figure out the connection and wondered whether any BY'er has a theory.

Reaction Score
Adam Sandler and now Jodie Foster, we are getting some good rep in the movie industry ... I did not forget he got game with Ray Allen. ;)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
UConn is a national brand, so seeing it in a show doesn't surprise me. First time I saw someone on TV wearing a UConn sweatshirt was Ted Knight, the news guy way back on the Mary Tyler Moore show. He used to wear college sweatshirts from different schools all the time. Seeing him wear the UConn sweatshirt made me very proud. Making it in the big time. LOL

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We just watched the new Netflix movie on Diana Nyad's multiple attempts to swim from Cuba to Key West. It's actually a pretty entertaining, uplifting story, and there's a fine sound track. In a couple of scenes, Nyad's coach and bestie, Bonnie Stoll (played by Jodie Foster), appears in a sweatshirt emblazoned with our own favorite five letters -- UCONN. I haven't been able to figure out the connection and wondered whether any BY'er has a theory.
Thanks for the heads up Nutmeg dog. I was living in Key West during her 1978 attempt. It was a big deal at the time. For those who aren't familiar with the swim, it covers 90 nautical miles of open water. The swim was from Cuba to Florida to take advantage of the currents. Unfortunately she was forced to quit because of high seas.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watched it earlier today. If the movie characterization is to be believed, she was an insufferable human being to be around. And as far as her achievements go, there's plenty of debate on what she should and shouldn't be credited for. She wasn't the first, or even second, to make that swim. But you can't take away that she did it - and kept trying until she succeeded, despite knowing the incredible pain and risk involved.

Also, I"d just watched The Grifters on Thursday, and it was kinda hard seeing Annette Bening age 40 years in three days.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Bonnie Stoll, who Jodie Foster plays, is a UConn alumnus.
I'm pretty sure she was a gym teacher at Stamford high. IIRC her first year there was my senior year (Sep-77 to Jun-78).

Reaction Score
UConn is a national brand, so seeing it in a show doesn't surprise me. First time I saw someone on TV wearing a UConn sweatshirt was Ted Knight, the news guy way back on the Mary Tyler Moore show. He used to wear college sweatshirts from different schools all the time. Seeing him wear the UConn sweatshirt made me very proud. Making it in the big time. LOL
Ted Knight is a Litchfield County legend, the pride of Terryville. One of the best comedic actors ever, IMO.

Reaction Score
Wife had this movie on, the UConn sweatshirt hooked me in, ended up watching most of it afterwards. Not a bad flick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom