Obi better than Jabrill Peppers? | The Boneyard

Obi better than Jabrill Peppers?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
His ability to come and use that wingspan to make sure tackles in run support will be maximized at the next level.

Would love it if the Pats took him toward the end of the 1st round. His combine numbers will be big for him, I suspect he probably has like a 3rd round grade pre combine.

Reaction Score
One thing WE all should say ... that kid Melifonwu got far better in 4 years. By the last few games, he was really getting good: coverage and aggressive tackling.
I agree, his senior year was very good. By far his best.

Reaction Score
www.nfldraftbible.com

John Blair ‏@qbcoachblair 2h2 hours ago
Top 5 Safeties 1. Jamal Adams, LSU 2. Malik Hooker, Ohio State 3. Obi Melifonwu, UCONN 4. Marcus Williams, Utah 5.Jabrill Peppers Michigan

John Blair ‏@qbcoachblair 20h20 hours ago
I am starting to think UConn S Obi Melifonwu might be a better NFL prospect than Jabrill Peppers is.
Maybe this is why Harbaugh, the college coach of Peppers, along with two of his coaches, made a late trip to MA to visit Obi's younger brother! He may see the exact same potential in his younger brother. And since Don Brown was here when Obi was recruited...he has some first-hand knowledge of the family's talent level which he may have made sure the UMHC became aware of.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He stood out athletically, but his instincts in pass coverage remained suspect for a long time, even if they did improve this year.

When he got here, wasn't Obi basically starting from scratch as a safety? If I'm right about that, then he really made great strides in his 4 years.

Have to think scouts would be comparing him to Arizona's Deone Bucannon or Mark Barron or a younger Brandon Browner(...and minus the absurd # of penalties). Made names for themselves as hybrid lb/safety in the Big Nickel or Heavy 3-3-5 defenses. Having a big hybrid who can limit a stud tight end or physically assault a WR off the line is a growing trend in the NFL right now. Actually Byron Jones and Tyvon Branch have both filled that role of late. They're smaller, but Jones' freaky athleticism and Branch's uncanny speeeeed/strength allows them to play a bit bigger, it seems.

Edit: Was going to remove an extra "e" in speed. Realized it looks silly, so I added a couple more for giggles.

Reaction Score
NFL potential and college performance are often very, very different things. Obi is a fantastic athlete in terms of size, strength, quickness and speed. But he came in with little football talent, and his improvement in understanding the game and how to play his position came along relatively slowly in his career.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Remember as a Safety at UConn Obi was exposed as the last line of defense due to someone awful defensive schemes and breakdowns by other players.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'm convinced that college coaching is largely terrible....look at the amount of players that were average in college and become stars in the NFL, NBA.....

Reaction Score
FWIW, I thought Obi underachieved here. He never seemed to lay the wood, driving guys back on a tackle and he still would get lost in coverage from time-to-time. But, I agree he was much better this past season. I wish Obi the best, I hope he continues to develop into a great pro. I would not be surprised to see him add weight and transition to an OLB. He has incredible size and athletic ability. He probably suffered a bit in his development under the old regime. I'm glad pro evaluators see his potential at the next level.

Reaction Score
Well ... NONE of you mentioned the most eye-opening component of this evaluation. Andrew Adams went from a lightly regarded College Safety to a potential multi-year Starter on a good defense. Obi certainly has more physical talent. I would say ... if I were a GM or Director of College Scouting ... that Melifonwu has an edge because this kid Adams sparked early. These things matter.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced that college coaching is largely terrible....look at the amount of players that were average in college and become stars in the NFL, NBA.....

Highly doubt thats it. Has more to do with systems and the fact that college kids are still maturing and developing physically.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Highly doubt thats it. Has more to do with systems and the fact that college kids are still maturing and developing physically.

Having to deal with systems? Aren't systems directly related to coaching?

Reaction Score
Coaches saying that Obi was a future pro early on in his career put expectations for error free play at levels that were hard to match as he grew in his career. I think Ollie with the Ferrari comment about Purvis has done the same thing. During away game broadcasts this year the color announcers were pointing out how Obi's talent really jumped out watching the game. Playing along side safeties that struggled this past year there were negative plays that made things look bad at the safety position and Obi wasn't perfect but he is quite a prospect. Screw the Patriots, I hope the Giants draft him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom