NYT: After Geno Auriemma’s Reign, UConn Could Lose Clout

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
LINK...let's hope it isn't until at least Mo'ne graduates

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we are in the twilight of UConn's dominance as the Basketball Capitol of the World. Sure the women's team is in great hands until Coach Auriemma retires which I happen to think will be when he passes Pat Summitt on the total wins list but the men's team is in a totally different place. In all likelihood the men's team is going to fail to make the NCAA tournament this year and with the cupboard lean in terms of talent the future doesn't look so bright. Just to show how hard it is to recruit to a non power 5 conference the men's team in a year that it won the National Championship, opened a multi million dollar practice facility, and extended the contract on one of the hottest young coaches in the game was able to sign a total of 2 recruits who both happen to live within a 1/2 hour drive of Gampel. That's it just 2 local kids. Don't get me wrong both are going to be good players but they are also kids that would have come to UConn regardless. Honestly it hurts to say this but I think the days of UConn being one of the best men's teams year in and year out is OVER.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we are in the twilight of UConn's dominance as the Basketball Capitol of the World. Sure the women's team is in great hands until Coach Auriemma retires which I happen to think will be when he passes Pat Summitt on the total wins list but the men's team is in a totally different place. In all likelihood the men's team is going to fail to make the NCAA tournament this year and with the cupboard lean in terms of talent the future doesn't look so bright. Just to show how hard it is to recruit to a non power 5 conference the men's team in a year that it won the National Championship, opened a multi million dollar practice facility, and extended the contract on one of the hottest young coaches in the game was able to sign a total of 2 recruits who both happen to live within a 1/2 hour drive of Gampel. That's it just 2 local kids. Don't get me wrong both are going to be good players but they are also kids that would have come to UConn regardless. Honestly it hurts to say this but I think the days of UConn being one of the best men's teams year in and year out is OVER.
Let's not count Kevin out so quickly.

Reaction Score
If Memphis can make the national championship game out of C-USA...

Reaction Score
In historic terms, it is grievously ironic that big-time college football and its toady accomplice, the NCAA, may succeed in doing to UConn WBB what no rival program could EVER achieve on the basketball court.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
But isn't the future post-Auriemma going to be full of questions regardless of what conference UConn is in? Being in the AAC won't make things easier, I suppose, but it's practically inconceivable that there won't be at least some drop-off after Geno retires.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No one ever predicts the demise of the last place team. These kinds of articles go with the territory. Nice to see NYT acknowledging our current dominance.

Reaction Score
“As long as it says, ‘Connecticut Head Coach Geno Auriemma,’ they ain’t going nowhere,” said Tyler Summitt, the first-year women’s coach at Louisiana Tech.

Tyler... I know you are from the south... but a double negative? Ain't going nowhere? So that means we are going somewhere. I understand his comment was not meant to be negative... and the double negative is a positive.... but... really man.. come on.

As for the next head coach.... UCONN is special. Look at Ollie... Took over and in his first possible NCAA tournament he took a very unlikely team and made them Champions!!! So...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If Memphis can make the national championship game out of C-USA...

The City of Memphis has always been a hotbed of great HS basketball talent, so that helps them a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom