NYCFC News - practice complex | The Boneyard

NYCFC News - practice complex

Reaction Score
Just caught this in the local. NYCFC just purchased 17 acres in Rockland Country (west side of the Hudson, just north of Jersey) from the State (old psychiatric hospital complex) to build their permanent practice facility. Its due to open in 2018. They currently practice at SUNY Purchase in Westchester County.

Soccer: Former psychiatric center site for NYCFC - Soccer - NorthJersey.com

I would assume that this means that NYCFC will focus their efforts to build a permanent pitch somewhere on the north side of NYC (Manhattan or the Bronx) or even Westchester County as building a pitch out in Queens and Brooklyn would make little sense due to the travel times.

Also, this will not make the Red Bulls happy. Their main practice facility is about 40 miles to the south Whippanmy NJ, just about due west of Newark and Harrsion. NYCFC will also create a formal relationship with World Class FC, a private soccer club that already owns a field complex on the grounds of the same pysc grounds. Bet World Class will switch ist color from Red to Sky Blue. Red Bulls Academy and World Class are already considered two of the best soccer academies in the area. That's going to foster a serious rivalry between the two from ages 8 and up.

Reaction Score
WC is the academy that most of our departing kids have gone to. They still have a few of their teams in our league. Adding fuel to the potential Red Bull's anger is that Maximus combined with World Class a few years ago and became WCNJ. That is even closer to the Red Bulls territory.

Reaction Score
WC is the academy that most of our departing kids have gone to. They still have a few of their teams in our league. Adding fuel to the potential Red Bull's anger is that Maximus combined with World Class a few years ago and became WCNJ. That is even closer to the Red Bulls territory.

A kid on my son's town travel baseball team plays for Red Bulls U12 academy team (he just turned 11 and made the team) and his father is connected in the soccer circles. Going to check with his opinion on this next weekend.

Reaction Score
A kid on my son's town travel baseball team plays for Red Bulls U12 academy team (he just turned 11 and made the team) and his father is connected in the soccer circles. Going to check with his opinion on this next weekend.
Interested to hear. The best kids from our town play for World Class. A couple really solid kids play for NJ Heat (which I've heard good things about), and some of the older (and best) kids play for Stallions. I don't know a single kid from our town (or a few of the surrounding towns) that pay for Red Bull's academy team. I wonder if they just haven't penetrated Bergen well or I'm just sheltered in our town club. The top girls play for NJ Crush. World Class is solid also, but Crush gets our best players.

Reaction Score
Interested to hear. The best kids from our town play for World Class. A couple really solid kids play for NJ Heat (which I've heard good things about), and some of the older (and best) kids play for Stallions. I don't know a single kid from our town (or a few of the surrounding towns) that pay for Red Bull's academy team. I wonder if they just haven't penetrated Bergen well or I'm just sheltered in our town club. The top girls play for NJ Crush. World Class is solid also, but Crush gets our best players.

I bet a lot has to do with geography. Getting around North Jersey at rush hour is a nightmare and weekday practices are usually around 6 or 7 PM when parents get home. RYSA and the Torpedoes are the two big 'entry' level clubs around my town, which I know as they keep trying to recruit my oldest son (we allowed him to pick 1 travel program and he went with baseball). From those two, the kids move through several clubs, with RBA at the top of the local pecking order. While there is only kid I know of on RBA, I know they are big in Morris, Essex, and Union counties, which are a lot closer. As I am on the western side of Bergen, World Class is known; but, not that popular as they are adjacent to the northeast corner of the county. That said, the alliance with NYCFC may get them more attention. One of my Rec kids (U11) just switched to the Heat last fall. His Dad actually had me run over last fall to unlock one of the fields for them and ref the game as it was a last minute change of schedule. Good coaches. Tactically sound team. They tore apart some team from Westchester County.

Completely agree on the Crush, which is of no surprises as they pull from HS teams like Northern Highlands (currently #2 in the USA), Ramapo, Ramsey, River Dell, and Mahwah, all of which have won state titles in recent years.

Reaction Score
I bet a lot has to do with geography. Getting around North Jersey at rush hour is a nightmare and weekday practices are usually around 6 or 7 PM when parents get home. RYSA and the Torpedoes are the two big 'entry' level clubs around my town, which I know as they keep trying to recruit my oldest son (we allowed him to pick 1 travel program and he went with baseball). From those two, the kids move through several clubs, with RBA at the top of the local pecking order. While there is only kid I know of on RBA, I know they are big in Morris, Essex, and Union counties, which are a lot closer. As I am on the western side of Bergen, World Class is known; but, not that popular as they are adjacent to the northeast corner of the county. That said, the alliance with NYCFC may get them more attention. One of my Rec kids (U11) just switched to the Heat last fall. His Dad actually had me run over last fall to unlock one of the fields for them and ref the game as it was a last minute change of schedule. Good coaches. Tactically sound team. They tore apart some team from Westchester County.

Completely agree on the Crush, which is of no surprises as they pull from HS teams like Northern Highlands (currently #2 in the USA), Ramapo, Ramsey, River Dell, and Mahwah, all of which have won state titles in recent years.
Our league has the "entry" level clubs (I'll be in Wyckoff two of the next four Friday nights for our girls games) with the occasional academy (World Class, Cedar Stars). It's definitely a second tier league, but very well run and much more local than MAPS or EDP. Every county is different, as is every age group. I think a lot of the academy placement has to do with other kids from your club. Crush recruited a few of our players aggressively, including making cold calls. A bit creepy for 9 year olds if you ask me. World Class NJ (run out of Superdome) recruited a few of our kids at U8 when we almost beat them.

My son hated baseball, which hurt me a bit. I was baseball first, soccer second growing up (even though I was better at soccer than baseball). I didn't want either of my kids to be 100% soccer, so my son started lacrosse last year, and loves it. Our club says that you can give preference to a spring sport over spring soccer, but his coach didn't like that (even though his son also played lax). This year's coach will be better about it (his kid also plays lax). My daughter plays travel basketball on our B team (if you can call it basketball). Definitely tough to do travel baseball and soccer. From what I've seen, baseball is the most demanding of any of the travel sports. We have multiple soccer double-carders, travel basketball, and lax players. Our last baseball player dropped out this year.

Reaction Score
Our league has the "entry" level clubs (I'll be in Wyckoff two of the next four Friday nights for our girls games) with the occasional academy (World Class, Cedar Stars). It's definitely a second tier league, but very well run and much more local than MAPS or EDP. Every county is different, as is every age group. I think a lot of the academy placement has to do with other kids from your club. Crush recruited a few of our players aggressively, including making cold calls. A bit creepy for 9 year olds if you ask me. World Class NJ (run out of Superdome) recruited a few of our kids at U8 when we almost beat them.

My son hated baseball, which hurt me a bit. I was baseball first, soccer second growing up (even though I was better at soccer than baseball). I didn't want either of my kids to be 100% soccer, so my son started lacrosse last year, and loves it. Our club says that you can give preference to a spring sport over spring soccer, but his coach didn't like that (even though his son also played lax). This year's coach will be better about it (his kid also plays lax). My daughter plays travel basketball on our B team (if you can call it basketball). Definitely tough to do travel baseball and soccer. From what I've seen, baseball is the most demanding of any of the travel sports. We have multiple soccer double-carders, travel basketball, and lax players. Our last baseball player dropped out this year.

By 'entry' I mean no disrespect RYSA and the Torpedoes. Both are good programs. Simply, I see a lot of kids move from Rec Travel soccer to those Clubs. If they stand out there, then they head off to the Heat, the club in Lincoln Park and a few others that I can't recall. Plus, the price goes up, too.

Right now, my 9 year old is threatening to quit soccer right because he's mad at his coach, who also happens to be his Dad. He had an accidental head-to-head hit on Sunday during a Rec Travel game that left with a golf-ball size bruise on his noggin. So he sat the rest of the game. He did not show any concussion signs; but, its not worth the risk, especially for a Rec Travel game. I've had 6 or 7 concussions from soccer and am not taking any chances with my kids. Eventually, he'll calm down.

Reaction Score
By 'entry' I mean no disrespect RYSA and the Torpedoes. Both are good programs. Simply, I see a lot of kids move from Rec Travel soccer to those Clubs. If they stand out there, then they head off to the Heat, the club in Lincoln Park and a few others that I can't recall. Plus, the price goes up, too.

Right now, my 9 year old is threatening to quit soccer right because he's mad at his coach, who also happens to be his Dad. He had an accidental head-to-head hit on Sunday during a Rec Travel game that left with a golf-ball size bruise on his noggin. So he sat the rest of the game. He did not show any concussion signs; but, its not worth the risk, especially for a Rec Travel game. I've had 6 or 7 concussions from soccer and am not taking any chances with my kids. Eventually, he'll calm down.
I didn't read any disrespect into the "entry" comment. My son is talking about wanting to try out for other programs in the spring. I think he's better off in the A flight with his current team (they are currently destroying everyone in the B flight they're in), then get on someone's C team in a lower MAPS flight. It's also SOOO much more convenient for me and my working wife. But I'll let him try out.

We've been lucky with concussions, and I think the lack of heading has probably helped. My son took a shot from a striker in a game early last spring right to the cheek from about 3 feet away. He went down like a sack of potatoes. He popped up, but looked dazed. Both sets of parent were yelling for him to take a knee. Thankfully, he was fine. It got him a bit on the ear and it was ringing. He was in pain, but didn't want anyone to know. No concussion, but he had an imprint of the ball on his face that last almost a full week. It's a picture I'll cherish!

We've had two girls on my daughter's team that I coach with concussions. Neither happened on my watch, thankfully. There is a lot more knowledge about them, and nobody lets kids walk it off. The kids aren't happy, but I think they get it. One is a Crush A team player and she was out for the last two weeks of our season.

Reaction Score
FYI on the girl's side PS, the Crush are not listed, World Class is.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...nal-clubs-regional-divisions-inaugural-season
I saw that from a World Class boy's parent (that sounds odd). World Class runs a really good program on the boys side, but their girl's team beat the snot out of us and they have a nice facility in Orangeburg. PDA is great on the girl's side (despite our U8 boys fight) and I've heard good stuff about Cedar Stars Monmouth (wasn't overly impressed with the Bergen team my son played). I'll ask the dad of one of our double carders if that was something they wanted to be part of and what happened.

Reaction Score
Holy ____ picking youth soccer programs seems more complicated than picking a college. Unreal.

Reaction Score
My kid is in pre-K, what should I be doing to prepare for starting soccer next year?

I feel like he may already be behind :confused:
If you're serious (and not just mocking me! ;o)), then I don't believe you NEED to do anything. I've seen plenty of kids that didn't do any camps or other early training that are now stars in 5th grade. Other kids started early, had an advantage for the first couple games, but others caught up quickly. My kids' first real games, was their first travel game (2nd grade for my son, 3rd for my daughter). Our league starts at U8 (2nd grade for most kids). There were definitely a few teams playing with 1st graders, and we have more kids doing that in our town now. So, to make it clear, YOU ARE NOT BEHIND.

Our town rec program has no affiliation with our town travel program (or any other travel club). If you have a club that you think you're kids will play with (based in town, regional that everyone you know plays with), see if they have some early training or camps. That may be a good way to start. It's probably as much for you to see if you like how things are run (including how well they treat the kids). When we were first starting I did wish I had sent my kids to our travel club's camp, just so they knew a bit more about the game.

Again, perspective is important. I'm a dad that played rec soccer and then in high school and got one letter from a D3 school that I had already gotten in to. My kids, and my wife/I, really enjoy travel soccer (the camaraderie (kids and parents), the activity, time I spend with my kids coaching, etc.). My son is an above average travel player and I believe he is getting what he needs at his town-based club in the A or B flight of our non-elite league. My daughter is an average player that is at the bottom of her A team (although she may be showing strong goalkeeping skills). If you are expecting your kid to be an elite-level player, someone else may be able to give you better guidance (although I still believe that there is no reason to start anything serious for a while). Keep it fun!

If you are mocking the time we spend on youth soccer then... you got me!

Reaction Score
If you're serious (and not just mocking me! ;o)), then I don't believe you NEED to do anything. I've seen plenty of kids that didn't do any camps or other early training that are now stars in 5th grade. Other kids started early, had an advantage for the first couple games, but others caught up quickly. My kids' first real games, was their first travel game (2nd grade for my son, 3rd for my daughter). Our league starts at U8 (2nd grade for most kids). There were definitely a few teams playing with 1st graders, and we have more kids doing that in our town now. So, to make it clear, YOU ARE NOT BEHIND.

Our town rec program has no affiliation with our town travel program (or any other travel club). If you have a club that you think you're kids will play with (based in town, regional that everyone you know plays with), see if they have some early training or camps. That may be a good way to start. It's probably as much for you to see if you like how things are run (including how well they treat the kids). When we were first starting I did wish I had sent my kids to our travel club's camp, just so they knew a bit more about the game.

Again, perspective is important. I'm a dad that played rec soccer and then in high school and got one letter from a D3 school that I had already gotten in to. My kids, and my wife/I, really enjoy travel soccer (the camaraderie (kids and parents), the activity, time I spend with my kids coaching, etc.). My son is an above average travel player and I believe he is getting what he needs at his town-based club in the A or B flight of our non-elite league. My daughter is an average player that is at the bottom of her A team (although she may be showing strong goalkeeping skills). If you are expecting your kid to be an elite-level player, someone else may be able to give you better guidance (although I still believe that there is no reason to start anything serious for a while). Keep it fun!

If you are mocking the time we spend on youth soccer then... you got me!

I just got my two week old on a U-1 team with Matt Besler and Dom Dwyer's newborns.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the criteria are for inclusion into that US Soccer designation. Looking at the link, they included 2 clubs from my area, and neither are as good as at least 3 other clubs, if not 4.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is it like this everywhere? I mean, what happened to just playing in your towns rec league and if you were good you made the travel team. That's how it was growing up for me. My girls play soccer through the Y. Granted their 2 and 4 but are you seriously saying that kids start playing highly competitive soccer in 1st grade? That's flipping insane.....

I'm not saying either of my kids are gonna be superstars but I want them to play what they love. Hopefully I don't need to be getting to a point where I need to know elite club teams and whatever else you guys are talking about. Not trying to bash you at all so please don't take it that way. I just think it's crazy it's like this.

I feel like I need a user manual for how to be a parent in today's youth sports system and how to get your kids in the programs they should be in! Freaking nuts.....

Reaction Score
Is it like this everywhere? I mean, what happened to just playing in your towns rec league and if you were good you made the travel team. That's how it was growing up for me. My girls play soccer through the Y. Granted their 2 and 4 but are you seriously saying that kids start playing highly competitive soccer in 1st grade? That's flipping insane.....

I'm not saying either of my kids are gonna be superstars but I want them to play what they love. Hopefully I don't need to be getting to a point where I need to know elite club teams and whatever else you guys are talking about. Not trying to bash you at all so please don't take it that way. I just think it's crazy it's like this.

I feel like I need a user manual for how to be a parent in today's youth sports system and how to get your kids in the programs they should be in! Freaking nuts.....

I used to think the exact same thing. Now look at me.

We ran into problems. The age matrix broke up our travel team. We went looking for clubs. We are happy now.

But, what could we do? My daughter was playing up 2 ages on our local travel team. When the age matrix broke up the team, her only travel option was to play against 13 year olds as a 10 year old. The travel team at her level did not have a solid coach, only a trainer. I thought the U13s were unsafe for her, so we went looking elsewhere. She is now at a premier club, and they are all 10 year olds. She is one of the top 3 on the team, which means she is in good company.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom