Nurse Homecoming Game? | The Boneyard

Nurse Homecoming Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
will there be one in Canada before her UConn career is over?

(watching the 2016 Championship game against Syracuse on DVR)

Reaction Score

good question .... I had ruminated on that before myself..... I believe they can get an exception to play a Canadian team ... it wasn't that long ago the team did a few games in Italy ....... maybe McGill has a women's team otherwise I guess it will have to be somebody like Buffalo

Reaction Score
Last foreign trip the team took was in 2011 (Italy), afaict, so they're allowed to take one if they wanted to.
Now that Geno's summers aren't going to be tied up with USA BBall, maybe they'll do one within the next couple of years?
Else, the nearest D1 schools to Hamilton they can play on the US side of the border are Buffalo and St. Bonaventure.

Reaction Score
Well, jeez, that's like saying that the farewell salute for (say) Stewie, because she's American, could have been anywhere in the United States. Nurse isn't just from "Canada". She's from Hamilton. And Hamilton is a short drive from Buffalo and a not really bad ride from Detroit. These are easier things to arrange, I would bet....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Last I heard regarding this her home coming game will be played in Canada vs Duquesne. No site info has been released yet.
That is what the two teams are trying to work out, but I believe they need to get special dispensation from the NCAA to play a game outside the US - not part of an approved tournament and not part of a foreign preseason trip.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
That is what the two teams are trying to work out, but I believe they need to get special dispensation from the NCAA to play a game outside the US - not part of an approved tournament and not part of a foreign preseason trip.
Right. The Duquesne coach seemed very confident it would happen in his podcast and also from what he said on their website. Now this does make me wonder what the difference is in the amount of say the NCAA has on trips like this during the regular season as opposed to trips during the summer. When was the last time a UConn squad played out of the country during the summer if ever?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nurse isn't just from "Canada". She's from Hamilton. And Hamilton is a short drive from Buffalo and a not really bad ride from Detroit. These are easier things to arrange, I would bet....

How close is Hamilton to Syracuse? Maybe they are open to facilitating a homecoming game for her :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Right. The Duquesne coach seemed very confident it would happen in his podcast and also from what he said on their website. Now this does make me wonder what the difference is in the amount of say the NCAA has on trips like this during the regular season as opposed to trips during the summer. When was the last time a UConn squad played out of the country during the summer if ever?
Italy in 1999 or 2000? They have a couple of rules - you can only do it like once every 5 years, and I believe the freshman are not allowed to be on the trip.

Reaction Score
Else, the nearest D1 schools to Hamilton they can play on the US side of the border are Buffalo and St. Bonaventure.

Niagara & Canisius also in Buffalo, and thus much closer than St Bonaventure.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to that highly anticipated homecoming game for Crystal Dangerfield in Nashville.
Hopefully it's a home/home with Vandy. Maybe for Kia, the homecoming game could be a preseason one with some school near Hamilton...

Reaction Score

Except for needing a passport it is no different than playing a college in say Calif--like Stanford--but maybe you'll need a passport for Canada too?? Who knows?
I would hope that Geno can arrange for a game in Hamilton, Ontario, Ca Unlike Russia, part of the evil empire ,(no not UT) a flight to Ontario is a matter of a couple of hours. We have to remember Kia is an American (North American).

Reaction Score
Italy in 1999 or 2000? They have a couple of rules - you can only do it like once every 5 years, and I believe the freshman are not allowed to be on the trip.

Can do a foreign trip once every four years. The incoming freshman can go if they have already completed a summer school course.

Reaction Score
Niagara & Canisius also in Buffalo, and thus much closer than St Bonaventure.

Yes, both much closer than Bona. Niagara, which is in Lewiston NY, north of Niagara Falls, is about 20 miles closer to Hamilton than the Buffalo schools.

Reaction Score
In addition to MacMaster which is in Hamilton, ON, there are lots of Canadian university womens basketball programs within an 1 hr drive: Univ of Toronto, York Univ, Ryerson Univ, Univ of Guelph, Univ of Waterloo, Univ of Western Ontario.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
NCAA had no issues starting this year's football season with Hawaii vs Cal in Australia. Would love to see them play a game across the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom