Now Nike is ruining our.... | The Boneyard

Now Nike is ruining our....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
.....basketball uniforms with a God-awful gray version with black-ish trim and red shoes. Are you kidding me?
We're Husky Blue and White. If we don't watch out, they'll want to "Maryland and Oregon" our football unis too. Man the torpedoes.

Reaction Score
Those uniforms are awesome. If the players and recruits like them, keep them.

Other benefits include more positive press, only national championship programs are wearing them. Uconn is only school to have both men's and women's version. This stuff only helps the program.

Reaction Score
If we are having this conversation again: I love it. We are still a young football program, lets embrace it with some youthful creativity in our uniforms. It seems recruits like the variety.

Reaction Score
Note to UConn Athletics: Please don't become the Penn State (uniform wise) of college football. The Nittany Uni's need an update they are ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Oppps, as I was saying . . .

Reaction Score
I liked the new uni's actually, for a game her eand there. I think some here would prefer the traditional old school basketball uni's with those great short shorts.
images

Reaction Score
Samcro, everything old is new again. Are these the new Adidas retro models?

Reaction Score
I don't care what they really do with uniforms, as long as they're the correct shades of blue and white.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
im not a fan of gray and would rather see some cool new blue/white ones for bball. for fball im open to the black, i would even like to see a mostly black in bball. just not a fan of grey here, but if the kids/recruits like it them im 100% on board. a jersey doesn't make me not keep my fanhood 100%. unless im a md fan.

Reaction Score
I like tradition, but the oregon Chrome helmet at the Rose Bowl was awesome...... I'd love to see our Block C on a chrome helmet, or carbon fiber blue with a block C. Maybe just for the rutgers game, spring something out to combat their sissy glitter helmets!!! :)

Reaction Score
Well, Sportsart it is pretty funny. The problem is Wing-man doesnt seem to get that this discussion has nothing to do with age and everything to do with taste. Old and stylish beats young and meretricious every time.

Reaction Score
I think they are hideous, too. As for the Recruits like them mantra, I have to think that if a recruit makes a decison based on the latest fad uniform, well, you really do have to wonder about him. On the basketball side, if a kid chooses someone else because they have some thuggish uniform that doesn't even represent their school colors, over a very standard blue and white one, without taking into consideration the fact that you have a chance toplay for a 3 time champ, a hall of fame coach who has put as many guys in the NBA as anyone, at a university that is becoming one of the better schools in the nation, well I guess you can make the choice based on that. Expect to spend most of your career looking up at the Huskies, though.

As far as football goes, you don't see the gold standard programs, which is where we want to be eventually, whereing these circus clown outfits. Alabama, Nebraska, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, Penn State, Oklahoma. You know, the ones who get into the Top 25 every year based soley on reputation.

Reaction Score
Got no problem with trying new things once in awhile, even a little crazy. If the kids like em then great, but not permanently please. As for FB, love the block C but we could integrate it into some new paint schemes and hopefully turn some heads. Maybe get people into the stands earlier too for all those so obsessed. New league, new stuff!

Reaction Score
Those uniforms are awesome. If the players and recruits like them, keep them.

Other benefits include more positive press, only national championship programs are wearing them. Uconn is only school to have both men's and women's version. This stuff only helps the program.

Amen

Reaction Score
I think they are hideous, too. As for the Recruits like them mantra, I have to think that if a recruit makes a decison based on the latest fad uniform, well, you really do have to wonder about him. On the basketball side, if a kid chooses someone else because they have some thuggish uniform that doesn't even represent their school colors, over a very standard blue and white one, without taking into consideration the fact that you have a chance toplay for a 3 time champ, a hall of fame coach who has put as many guys in the NBA as anyone, at a university that is becoming one of the better schools in the nation, well I guess you can make the choice based on that. Expect to spend most of your career looking up at the Huskies, though.

As far as football goes, you don't see the gold standard programs, which is where we want to be eventually, whereing these circus clown outfits. Alabama, Nebraska, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, Penn State, Oklahoma. You know, the ones who get into the Top 25 every year based soley on reputation.

Seriously have you ever talked to a high school kid? Were you ever less than twenty? If you don't think flash has anything to do with the sports culture you've not been watching much in the way of sports lately. Cell phones in goal post padding, lebrons chalk bs, , how about as far back as the super bowl shuffle? I think it's dumb but it is here to stay and I think it's a bit of a stretch to question a kids character because he likes shiny things. Just cause he's not into stamp collecting doesn't mean he has a poor character.

Reaction Score

Few thoughts:

1. You are out of touch with today's recruits. Plain and simple. Oregon is the best example of using new and innovative uniforms to attract recruits and it has been documented time and time again that recruits have referenced uniforms as one of the TOP reasons they chose Oregon. Doesn't matter if you agree with this/if it makes sense to you, it is a fact.
2. What exactly makes these new uniforms "thuggish"? I'd agree they are "space-agey" and unique and a great compliment to a program that has had tremendous success over the past two decades.
3. You, and many others, keep referencing these blue blood football programs and the fact that they have either not changed/rarely changed their uniforms over time as a sign we should do the same. We are a minimum 40-50 years behind those programs in terms of on-field success and reputation, and the schools you referenced dominated the college football landscape at a time when the same 10-15 schools dominated every year. Perhaps it is time to recognize that there is more than one way to become a national power. It is a different world in college football and I am all for teams who take a different path to national prominence.
4. This is for ONE game. Relax.

Reaction Score
Well, Sportsart it is pretty funny. The problem is Wing-man doesnt seem to get that this discussion has nothing to do with age and everything to do with taste. Old and stylish beats young and meretricious every time.
Of course it has to do with tastes. We have different tastes. Neither is "right" or "wrong", it is a matter of taste.

Whether crotchety old men like them or not is irrelevant. Thankfully.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

All of the Nike schools in that group have been Nike-fied with the gloves the players wear. The players & recruits loved them. The ones where when you put your hands together it displayed the school logo. It became such a rage that the NCAA banned the motion under the new sportsmanship penalties (it's a 15-yarder to put your hands together and display any logo on your gloves, but you can still wear the gloves). But don't for a second think Nike isn't pushing new trends & boundaries with those "traditional" powers just because it looks from afar like the same uniform.

BTW, why is it "thuggish"? Because it's black? If so...wow.

Reaction Score
Arizona, Duke, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, Syracuse.

These are the schools getting platinum unis. Would you like to included or excluded from this group?

Reaction Score
Arizona, Duke, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, Syracuse.

These are the schools getting platinum unis. Would you like to included or excluded from this group?
I'm frankly indifferent. Excluded if it means they are home on the first Monday of April and UCONN is still playing...Sorry if I don't get all warms and fuzzy because Nike does or does not give us some new, hideous tin man uniform that looks way more like Georgetown than UCONN. As far as the "technology" of these and othe runiforms, I somehow think they can be done in blue and white as well as grey and black.

Again, alabam aseems to recruit ok without changin gtheir uniforms. So does Penn State, Texas, LSU has worn the same uniform with minor variations since the 1960s. Michigan has since the 1930s, with the exception of last year's NotreDame game, a decision they wouldn't care to repeat from what I've heard. Ok so it might have helped Oregon...maybe or maybe they had good coaching, I don't know for sure;). Now let's look at all these "new teams" who have won, or even played for the national championship. Well, I guess if you count Oregon, who has been in a major conference, which it has won several times, since I don't know, 1916 or so, there is one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom