Now ESPN pushing P5 distinction in women's hoops | The Boneyard

Now ESPN pushing P5 distinction in women's hoops

Reaction Score
That seems to be an attempt to marginalize us, doesn't it?

Well, I guess I should just admit to myself that P5 programs are inherently more important across all sports. ESPN is going to be pushing that position going forward.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well, I guess I should just admit to myself that P5 programs are inherently more important across all sports. ESPN is going to be pushing that position going forward.
How does that football concept relate to basketball, particularly WBB, particularly when the dominant program isn't a member of the club?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This is not a surprise. This was rumored to be the next step in the evolution of the P5/ NCAA.

And yes, its all about the money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My guess is they are hoping that as the most successful class ever has moved on, we not only will return to the pack but also have been surpassed by a sufficient number of schools that we can be marginalized. I can't see Geno letting that happen.

Reaction Score
I have spent two years trying to explain what life in the AAC means to some WBB fans. Once Geno leaves, we are Louisiana Tech and ODU. They don't get it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Connecticut is an outlier of sorts...in the last 34 years, there has not been a women's basketball national champion from another program that is not a current P5.

Reaction Score
Are there more than 5 power WBB programs in the country? The top teams in the P5 all run second to Uconn. People look to be offended by anything. And unlike FB, non-P5 schools can succeed long term in BB, both men and women. There is a big difference between needing 22 starters to be competitive and needing 5. Talent can be spread much further in BB, although 90% of the woman's talent is stockpiled in Storrs.

Reaction Score
UConn is almost unchallenged in women's basketball...there is no other program that comes close to the success of the UConn program...almost a stand alone.

The Women's BB might even be considered UConn's centerpiece (could be ahead of the men by a skotche)...where other programs feature football (Alabama) or men's BB (Duke) as their lone centerpiece.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
UConn is almost unchallenged in women's basketball...there is no other program that comes close to the success of the UConn program...almost a stand alone.

The Women's BB might even be considered UConn's centerpiece (could be ahead of the men by a skotche)...where other programs feature football (Alabama) or men's BB (Duke) as their lone centerpiece.

Duke has more than Men's BB, their lacrosse program is pretty good. They have made the championship every year for the last 10 years, winning the whole thing in three of those. The Big10, ACC and the Pac12 all have very comprehensive athletic programs and each of their schools has their own sports they do well in. Even Rutgers is pretty good in wrestling. UConn is great in men's and women's basketball.

Down south, schools may have one centerpiece. In other areas, the programs are a little more diverse.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I think the centerpiece concept is a flawed one. A good athletic department (or university for that matter) does more than just one well.

Yes UConn's woman's basketball is the premier program in their sport and has had unmatched for two decades but no program is better than men's program over pretty much the same period.

UConn is a top school in other sports as well and has won multiple NCAA championships in muliple sports. Unfortunately it lags in football right now, though not through inattentiveness with state of the art practice and team facilities.

That's a pretty good indicator of success. By any reasonable measure our being on the outside looking in of the P5 seems to be unreasonable, at least on a merit basis and yet, there it is.

Reaction Score
Should be noted our 20-1 Field Hockey team, whose only loss was a 1 goal loss at top 4 Maryland, and had numerous wins over the ACC/Big Ten and a top 4 RPI were not allowed to host and instead sent to Syracuse with a tough first round opponent in BC that took them to Double OT just a week ago. They were ranked in the top 3 all year and not allowed to host. Instead 2 ACC and Big Ten schools were given the top 4 seeds.

We will be treated in all aspects as a mid major in all sports moving forward. Women's bball has been too good to be screwed in seedings yet but every other sport has so far.

Reaction Score

UConn's men have won 4 championships in the last decade and a half.

I know this is news to you since you don't focus on basketball (i.e. you didn't realize Kemba Walker played for UConn), but, the fact is, no other school has won 4 championships in that time.

Winning 4 in the men's game is much tougher than all the wins for UConn in the women's game.

Reaction Score
UConn's men have won 4 championships in the last decade and a half.

I know this is news to you since you don't focus on basketball (i.e. you didn't realize Kemba Walker played for UConn), but, the fact is, no other school has won 4 championships in that time.

Winning 4 in the men's game is much tougher than all the wins for UConn in the women's game.

I understand...what I was trying to say was that, and I recognize that the UConn men have won 4 NC's since 1999...is that a program like Duke, which has won 5 NC's since 1991...does not have a 2nd sport that is dominant, and so dominant that it can rival their main sport.

Same with Alabama and their football.

Reaction Score
Wow lucky for us the number one recruit picked us just a day after the ESPN P5 article we were left out of. I'm sure the timing was a coincidence. If ESPN had thought about it, they probably would have waited on the article so not to tip the scale.

Reaction Score
My guess is they are hoping that as the most successful class ever has moved on, we not only will return to the pack but also have been surpassed by a sufficient number of schools that we can be marginalized. I can't see Geno letting that happen.

Do you believe that ESPN is looking to marginalize Uconn Women's Bball? I have a hard time buying that, as they make good money promoting a top tier Husky Program. Now if you meant the rest of the schools in the NCAA, then yeah I could believe that. I'm sure all of these coaches are tired of competing for second place every year.

Reaction Score
Are there more than 5 power WBB programs in the country? The top teams in the P5 all run second to Uconn. People look to be offended by anything. And unlike FB, non-P5 schools can succeed long term in BB, both men and women. There is a big difference between needing 22 starters to be competitive and needing 5. Talent can be spread much further in BB, although 90% of the woman's talent is stockpiled in Storrs.

Agreed. As long as there is unfettered access to both tournaments Uconn Basketball will continue to be very successful. Comparing basketball to football is like comparing apples to atom bombs. In basketball you can be a team like Kentucky that is able to sign 4-5 superstar players each season and compete for titles with entirely different lineups each year. In football its not just your 22 starters, because of the physicality of the game you have to build quality depth at all positions. You have to be able to stack multiple classes of top talent, develop it on the field and in the weight room, and then be able to execute at a high level. Many more moving parts and pieces.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I understand...what I was trying to say was that, and I recognize that the UConn men have won 4 NC's since 1999...is that a program like Duke, which has won 5 NC's since 1991...does not have a 2nd sport that is dominant, and so dominant that it can rival their main sport.

Same with Alabama and their football.

Duke has three men's lacrosse national championships in the last 10 year's. That's pretty dominant to me.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Guys, I've been trying to tell some of you for years...the next shoe to drop in the P5 split is basketball. Once the P5 and TV networks figure out the best way to monopolize the money pool, the split will happen. CR is 10000% about money. Nothing else. Nobody making these decisions gives a hoot about geographic r1vals, "Cinderella" stories, or anything else.

That why it is P5 or bust for UConn. Always has been and always should be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom