Nova loses Omari Spellman to academic redshirt | The Boneyard

Nova loses Omari Spellman to academic redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's actually new for this year. He gets to practice, but not play.

Basically means that he was too far away in his core work to make up the ground entirely during his senior year. It's to prevent those miracle comebacks where some kid gets five core classes done over one summer session.

Reaction Score
It's like a dunce cap that prevents you from playing basketball for a year.

Stupid? didn't do his work?

Figured it was along those lines, but the phrasing made me think it was a conscious decision on his part to devote more time to academics. Too bad, I was looking forward to watching him play.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
So he's apparently a good enough student to get into a school like Villanova with no fudging of grades I'm sure, but he couldn't complete a basic high school work load? I guess every program really is the same.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Figured it was along those lines, but the phrasing made me think it was a conscious decision on his part to devote more time to academics. Too bad, I was looking forward to watching him play.

While a noble thought...has that ever happened?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Well, Emeka sort of devoted more time to academics by only sleeping 4 hours a night, or that's what I recall anyway. But he doesn't really count, too much of an outlier.

Reaction Score
It's actually new for this year. He gets to practice, but not play.

Basically means that he was too far away in his core work to make up the ground entirely during his senior year. It's to prevent those miracle comebacks where some kid gets five core classes done over one summer session.

Ummmmmmmm no... This has been around a few years.. I don't want to kill STM for this, I need more information, just unfortunate. I'm dead serious when I say this, with him they might have repeated.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Well, Emeka sort of devoted more time to academics by only sleeping 4 hours a night, or that's what I recall anyway. But he doesn't really count, too much of an outlier.

Reaction Score

I know a lot of schools are doing the thing now where they offer a semester abroad or some other community-based program that basically allows them to gain some credits while satisfying their penchant for adventure and/or religious missions.

I would assume these programs are available to athletes, but you're probably right that it's pie-in-the-sky to envision an NBA prospect willingly deciding to not play basketball for a year. Only way I could imagine it happening is if there is a strong religious/cultural component behind it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ummmmmmmm no... This has been around a few years.. I don't want to kill STM for this, I need more information, just unfortunate. I'm dead serious when I say this, with him they might have repeated.

This is the first class that the standard has been applied to, so no, it hasn't been around for a few years.

Reaction Score
Here is how I heard it...In 2011 He started public school in 9 th grade. PRents divorce Moved to a private school in Ohio that determined he was not ready for that grade and he enrolled in 8th grade. But fast forward NCAA determined that he didn't qualify by the time his Class graduated. That being the orig school in NY.

Meanwhile in Chapel Hill.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69