Noth Carolina's Tourney NCAA Games Out | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Noth Carolina's Tourney NCAA Games Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My issue with this is: why do we need to especially accommodate 1/2500th of the population? To me, that's absurd. As a business owner, I would be infuriated to have to spend money to accommodate a potential customer I might never see. Talk about fairness all you want, but how fair is that to the business owner?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My issue with this is: why do we need to especially accommodate 1/2500th of the population? To me, that's absurd. As a business owner, I would be infuriated to have to spend money to accommodate a potential customer I might never see. Talk about fairness all you want, but how fair is that to the business owner?
I am not a business owner but thank you for a non political sensible approach and thought process
PC is killing this country and the only thing certain people can hang their hat on
Only fairness some think about is to get something for their own sake as an end result of awarding some at the cost of another but never themselves- (Kennedy family and the wind turbines?)
OK - back to basketball

Reaction Score
What percentage of the population do you have to comprise in order for it to be wrong for people to discriminate against you?

And how does letting transgender people use the bathroom they identify with (apparently 1 in every 2500 bathroom visits) cost businesses money?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What percentage of the population do you have to comprise in order for it to be wrong for people to discriminate against you?

And how does letting transgender people use the bathroom they identify with (apparently 1 in every 2500 bathroom visits) cost businesses money?

I am guessing you don't get it but that's ok, no need to send any snarky retorts
lets just talk basketball
there are sights where pc people and non can go to and pound their chests-a basketball forum isn't one of them

Reaction Score
I am guessing you don't get it but that's ok, no need to send any snarky retorts
lets just talk basketball
there are sights where pc people and non can go to and pound their chests-a basketball forum isn't one of them
Yes, I am definitely the one who doesn't get it in this situation.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? How does allowing people to use a certain bathroom cost the business owner any money at all? Please explain.

Reaction Score

The old Jim Crow laws forcing racial segregation, including bathrooms, only impacted roughly 10% of the US population in 1960; but, I think every agrees that those were wrong.

Personally, I wish the US did not need these laws; but, unfortunately, there are people out there that requires the US to have them in place.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I have to assume that you are thinking this has something to do with adding a separate bathroom? Otherwise..I have no idea what you are talking about. For clarification...this isn't about new facilities. There is no cost...literally or figuratively. You have never known in the past who was using what bathroom...and it seems to make sense to leave it that way. I have never heard of an issue in the past...so why would there be issues in the future?

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Lets just ignore for a moment the absurdity of the portion of the law that would require EVERYBODY to carry around their birth certificate if they want to use a public restroom (or subject themselves to being personally violated) in order for the law to be enforced. The real damage is that it legalizes discrimination based on sexual orientation, which impacts many many more than the fictitious .04% number used in the post above.

However, I do understand that their are people that just don't get it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The obvious scare tactic and factually delinquent video you posted relies on the logic that a law requiring the use of a sexually specific bathroom based upon you're birth certificate will somehow stop sexual predators from walking into the opposite bathroom and molesting a woman. Sexual predators can walk into any bathroom and do that now. Rape and molestation are illegal and carry severe (not severe enough) penalties and yet they still happen far too often. What's this new magic law going to do that the existing laws requiring jail time aren't already doing? How about strengthening the existing laws and punishments to prevent sexual predation period? Or does that make too much sense?

The only thing this law is meant to do is target, demean and specifically exclude a minority group from living the life that makes them most comfortable.
Of course this blanket statement would perhaps be based on universal truth. Who says making people "comfortable" is justice. What about the people people who are not confused about their gender? Why do they have to make people "comfortable' who think they are something different from what their physiology indicates ? "Truth is whatever
I think it is" (and everyone else has to agree?). This is moral relativism but applied on an absolute basis. You just made an absolute statement about truth ("the only thing......)
which is relative to persons who both agree and disagree. Are you "absolutely" sure?

Reaction Score
I read something today where Roy Williams was saying he didn't expect to be called in NC's investigation by the NCAA and was looking forward to things getting back to normal. This SOB thinks that his basketball team is going to skate without even a slap on the wrist. Am I nuts or is this possible?

Reaction Score
I read something today where Roy Williams was saying he didn't expect to be called in NC's investigation by the NCAA and was looking forward to things getting back to normal. This SOB thinks that his basketball team is going to skate without even a slap on the wrist. Am I nuts or is this possible?

Your nuts and this is possible.

Reaction Score
Of course this blanket statement would perhaps be based on universal truth. Who says making people "comfortable" is justice. What about the people people who are not confused about their gender? Why do they have to make people "comfortable' who think they are something different from what their physiology indicates ? "Truth is whatever
I think it is" (and everyone else has to agree?). This is moral relativism but applied on an absolute basis. You just made an absolute statement about truth ("the only thing.)
which is relative to persons who both agree and disagree. Are you "absolutely" sure?
The only thing I'm absolutely sure about is that there are cruel people in this world who will spend any amount of resources and make any argument to support thier hateful beliefs about other people. Those lucky enough to be sure of thier gender should just use the bathroom they feel most comfortable in, wipe thier arse and move on with thier day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it is" (and everyone else has to agree?). This is moral relativism but applied on an absolute basis. You just made an absolute statement about truth ("the only thing.)
I've read this post a couple times, and still have absolutely no idea what the poster is trying to say.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lets just ignore for a moment the absurdity of the portion of the law that would require EVERYBODY to carry around their birth certificate if they want to use a public restroom (or subject themselves to being personally violated) in order for the law to be enforced. The real damage is that it legalizes discrimination based on sexual orientation, which impacts many many more than the fictitious .04% number used in the post above.

However, I do understand that their are people that just don't get it.

How so? Caitlin Jenner likes women by the way.

I'm not saying that the NC law is well written, but a state choosing to determine public facility usage by biological sex rather than "gender" is certainly logical. And while that may result in some tiny number of people being uncomfortable, it is a better solution than having the vast majority be uncomfortable.

As the father of a 13 year old girl, I certainly don't want her to be subject to biological males using the girls locker room and showers at school. This has already created many issues. It is not discrimination to treat a person in accordance with their biological sex. How they "identify" is really irrelevant.

Reaction Score
How so? Caitlin Jenner likes women by the way.

I'm not saying that the NC law is well written, but a state choosing to determine public facility usage by biological sex rather than "gender" is certainly logical. And while that may result in some tiny number of people being uncomfortable, it is a better solution than having the vast majority be uncomfortable.

As the father of a 13 year old girl, I certainly don't want her to be subject to biological males using the girls locker room and showers at school. This has already created many issues. It is not discrimination to treat a person in accordance with their biological sex. How they "identify" is really irrelevant.
I find these takes to be hilarious.

I've never used the women's bathroom, but from what I understand, they have stalls. That makes it rather difficult to know a person's biological gender unless you force people to disclose it upfront.

But again, you seem to have no clue what this law is really about. It essentially permits companies to discriminate against LGBT members without giving gay or transgender people the chance for recourse.

The bathroom debate is how they've framed it to the public to try to scare parents like yourself onto their side. But that's only a minor aspect of this law.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I find these takes to be hilarious.

I've never used the women's bathroom, but from what I understand, they have stalls. That makes it rather difficult to know a person's biological gender unless you force people to disclose it upfront.

But again, you seem to have no clue what this law is really about. It essentially permits companies to discriminate against LGBT members without giving gay or transgender people the chance for recourse.

The bathroom debate is how they've framed it to the public to try to scare parents like yourself onto their side. But that's only a minor aspect of this law.

That's a load of crap. All was well when there were no laws, then Charlotte passed a law and NC responded with their invalidating the Charlotte ordinance. This has nothing to do with discrimination, and everything to do with protecting privacy rights.

Bathrooms have stalls...with 2 inch gaps on the side. Go to Europe and you can see proper stalls. Bathrooms aren't even the issue, the issue is locker rooms and public changing facilities at pools, gyms etc. That's the real concern. If we had proper stalls I don't think anyone would even care about bathrooms. It's pretty easy to tell biological sex when in a communal shower.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's a load of crap. All was well when there were no laws, then Charlotte passed a law and NC responded with their invalidating the Charlotte ordinance. This has nothing to do with discrimination, and everything to do with protecting privacy rights.

Bathrooms have stalls...with 2 inch gaps on the side. Go to Europe and you can see proper stalls. Bathrooms aren't even the issue, the issue is locker rooms and public changing facilities at pools, gyms etc. That's the real concern. If we had proper stalls I don't think anyone would even care about bathrooms. It's pretty easy to tell biological sex when in a communal shower.
And herein lies the problem. How do you accommodate the sensitivities of everyone. Especially when the issue first comes to the public's attention.

It must be devastating to have the genetic code that provides one set of physiologic development while the mental and emotional code develops differently. How do we come up with a solution for these people while addressing the concerns of the majority of people who have a different set of needs?

Reaction Score
How the law could rewrite building codes is how it could cost business owners money. Now, I'm sorry, but 1/2500th of the population is not significant enough to fret over. The Biggest Obstacle to Gender Neutral Bathrooms? Building Codes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And herein lies the problem. How do you accommodate the sensitivities of everyone. Especially when the issue first comes to the public's attention.

It must be devastating to have the genetic code that provides one set of physiologic development while the mental and emotional code develops differently. How do we come up with a solution for these people while addressing the concerns of the majority of people who have a different set of needs?

Mental health counseling would be a start. There is nothing biological or genetic going on with this. Scientists reject that notion. Most of these people need mental health help to align their gender with their sex and aren't getting it. It's sad that people are so afraid of making them feel bad about themselves that they won't get the help they need.

I certainly do favor the private, locking "family" bathrooms at most public locations. That's a benefit to many people, parents with small children of the opposite sex as well as anyone who is transgender.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Mental health counseling would be a start. There is nothing biological or genetic going on with this. Scientists reject that notion. Most of these people need mental health help to align their gender with their sex and aren't getting it. It's sad that people are so afraid of making them feel bad about themselves that they won't get the help they need.

I certainly do favor the private, locking "family" bathrooms at most public locations. That's a benefit to many people, parents with small children of the opposite sex as well as anyone who is transgender.

The epigenome: the next substrate for engineering | Genome Biology | Full Text
From this article these few paragraphs summarize the complexity of the mechanics of the epigenome (chromatin) activity on the DNA that goes into play during transcription which is the process of converting the DNA composed of nucleotides to the construction of molecules that function in the body (proteins composed of amino acids).

"There exist a surprisingly large number of epigenome modifications. The combinatorial interactions between these modifications and other chromatin-bound proteins increase this complexity even further. In fact, most chromatin states that are associated with regions such as active promoters and enhancers are characterized by specific combinations of chromatin modifications [72]. Why did this combinatorial complexity evolve? One reason could be that single modifications alone are not sufficient to account for all the distinct states that need to be specified or marked. Perhaps a more intriguing possibility is that combinatorial interactions set the stage for context-dependent regulation and enhance locus-specific recruitment.

With context dependency, one modification could mask, modulate, or enhance the binding interaction of a reader of a second modification."

"Combinatorial modifications could also prime a gene to follow one of multiple possible paths. Certain domains of the embryonic stem (ES) cell genome possess both activating and repressive histone modifications, known as bivalent domains; these are typically enriched at developmentally important genes [76, 77]. It is proposed that genes that have bivalent domains are poised for either activation or repression, depending on the differentiation path that the cell ultimately follows.

Gene expression is precisely controlled in time and space by the integration of this diverse array of PTM signals and the actions of multiple chromatin-regulating factors operating in multifactorial ways [3, 78]."

This last paragraph is the salient paragraph IMO regarding the transgender issue or any medical issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom