Noth Carolina's Tourney NCAA Games Out | The Boneyard

Noth Carolina's Tourney NCAA Games Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
My guess is that they move the games to South Carolina. With the removal of the confederate flag, SC is now eligible to host NCAA events. And that would likely keep the games close enough to NC to ensure that 1. they fill up the stands with the Duke/UNC fans, and 2. they provide NC/Duke with as close to a home game as possible for the "neutral site" tournament. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So Duke and NC don't get those first and second round home games as usual, sometimes even later rounds. Maybe NC's academic scandal will be resolved by 2020.
My opinion is based more in general than on one specific issue. I am not sure I like the NCAA getting involved with political and social issues. Stick to sports leave these other issues to politicians and activists. Allow the individual athletes to express their opinions in various ways. What's next? Do they not play in other states because of gun laws? Abortion? Drug legalization? I think it is a lot healthier for the NCAA to let the individual athletes to form and express their own opinions on these issues.

Reaction Score
They are not moving it to SC. The most conceivable place for them to do it, based on venue size and ticket potential, is Orlando

Reaction Score
They are not moving it to SC. The most conceivable place for them to do it, based on venue size and ticket potential, is Orlando
Pretty sure Orlando is already a host hence the reason why the AAC tourney moved from there to Hartford.

Reaction Score
My opinion is based more in general than on one specific issue. I am not sure I like the NCAA getting involved with political and social issues. Stick to sports leave these other issues to politicians and activists. Allow the individual athletes to express their opinions in various ways. What's next? Do they not play in other states because of gun laws? Abortion? Drug legalization? I think it is a lot healthier for the NCAA to let the individual athletes to form and express their own opinions on these issues.

While I'm fully on the side of NC's laws are crazy town, I tend to agree. If NC had a plan to hunt down and lock up all trans people, I'd be on board with this full scale boycott, but as it stands it does seem like more trouble than is necessary. That said, if they do change the law, good job NCAA

Reaction Score
How much money does the state stand to lose with cancellation of major corporate meetings, other major sporting events and now this? They're going to buckle, when I can't tell you but dollars rule.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

This is not political preference. The NCAA specifically stated that its the nature of the exclusionary laws targeted at a group of people b/c of their sexual orientation, not because of a political preference. Would you feel the same way if North Carolina established a law separating blacks and whites or other nationalities, or what if they outlawed certain religions? I'd like to think all of us would boycott them if they did that. This is the same precedent. I think this is most intelligent thing the NCAA has done in my lifetime.

Reaction Score
Being a NC resident, the general population is somewhat upset that these games are being moved. We don't believe we should be punished for the states actions. On the other hand the other third of the population couldn't care less

Reaction Score
Not sure if the NCAA should be getting involved because they're opening up Pandora's box, but at least they're backing up their words this time.

Credit where credit's due.

Reaction Score
Saw this in an article. Backs up the belief that NC gets a tournament venue almost every year. Not that I needed proof.

The NCAA rarely doesn't pick North Carolina as a host for its biggest event, the Big Dance. Over the past decade-and-a-half, four cities in the Tar Heel State have been part of the NCAA Tournament's cycle. It's far and away the most popular/consistent state to get dibs on Dance duties. Charlotte hosted in 2005, 2008, 2011 and 2015. Greensboro was selected in 2001, 2006, 2009 and 2012. Winston-Salem was an NCAA tourney site in 2000 and 2007. Raleigh had honors in 2004, 2008, 2014 and 2016. The only years this century the tournament wasn't played inside state borders: '02, '03, '10 and '13.

Here's a replacement for NCAA tourney games moved out of North Carolina

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
My daughter was supposed to play in a college showcase soccer tournament at the same venue as the Women's Soccer Final 4.....and hopefully see U CONN there. With the NCAA pulling the event from NC, we are now stuck going to the event because the entry fee is non-refundable. It's also highly doubtful college coaches will be coming to recruit players.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This is not political preference. The NCAA specifically stated that its the nature of the exclusionary laws targeted at a group of people b/c of their sexual orientation, not because of a political preference. Would you feel the same way if North Carolina established a law separating blacks and whites or other nationalities, or what if they outlawed certain religions? I'd like to think all of us would boycott them if they did that. This is the same precedent. I think this is most intelligent thing the NCAA has done in my lifetime.
What is "exclusionary" to some is "invasive" to others.

Reaction Score

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Oh my goodness

Still trying to wrap my head around:

If you are unwilling to have women's bathrooms and locker rooms, how do you have a women's team?

Well, the part about sharing the showers with the cheerleaders doesn't sound all the bad.

This is the Change I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34