Not sure what this title should be but I think: Back Off | The Boneyard

Not sure what this title should be but I think: Back Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The negative comments are WAY OUT OF PLACE!

Come on HCBD is in the infancy of his command, and we faced a top 25 program.

I think the coach and the team will respond well to this game experience, and I know the future is bright.

Those of you throwing out negativeism belong on the Rutgers board. Sorry - but that is true . whaler and others, its the first game of a new ERA.

For instance, I don't mean to get picky on positions, but we have FOUR D1 talented running backs.
For instance i Don;t mean to get picky on position, but our LB corp was not that bad.
For instance I don't mean to get picky on position, but our Offensive Line was NOT the BAD.
For instance, I don't mean to get picky on position, but our Special Teams were AOK.,

So for all the Sally's out there - GO GET A MASENGALE WASH - I expect a drubbing of Stoney Brook and a sounding defeat of Bosie.

I wish I was within a 10 hour drive of the Rent, and could take in a game experience, but I firmly believe success this year.judged by a 6-6 record with maybe a surprise to put us to 7-5.

The only real criticism of this game was the fan support, and I expect that to change after a Stoney Borrk and Boise win. We have seen the Rent rock and we will experience that again.

For instance

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you are going to call me out...

A: Many of my complaints were about things like parking and the stadium and the lack of support (which you grant)... so since I was there and you weren't you'll have to forgive me if I don't much care what you think.

B: I don't think I posted much of anything about units or players - so I have no idea what that rant is about.

The insanity of the two quarterback system, bizarre decision making and what a coach says post game are all in play no matter how long he has been coach. Last I checked they were paying his entire salary this year - so while he may think it's great to screw around and treat games like exhibitions... they didn't price the games as exhibitions. It's nice that he thinks the kicker needs work from the right hash... I know it's almost impossible to simulate that in practice.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I have absolutely no doubt that this team is still a 6-7 win team and will be bowling this season. I liked a lot of what I saw from a development perspective last night. Obviously, I wish the score was closer but the team never quit. On offense, we were able to drive the ball well between the 20s. Just need to figure out how to finish drives. On defense, we had a few huge breakdowns that resulted in quick scores. Take out about 7 minutes of football and that could wipe out 21 BYU points. They forced some turnovers and got stops in the 2nd half.

I absolutely LOVE the talent that we have at the skill positions on offense this year. Our 4-headed RB monster is going to win us some games just by wearing down opposing defenses. Not every offense we face this year will be as fast, well-oiled and flawlessly executed as BYU.

When the schedule was released way back when, I think most on this board chalked this game up as "learning curve" L. We took our L like men so now it's time to regroup, lick our wounds go beat Stony Brook, get some confidence and get after Boise. If we could be 2-1 after week 3, I would sign up for that 100 times out of 100.

Reaction Score
Really? First game of a new era and the coach made some really, strange calls. The QB changes should not be questioned? The ultra positive post game spin after a 25 point loss should be embraced? No negativity? Or is the negativity you perceive a harsh case of reality? The coach looked and acted like a first timer last night.

New flash. BYU is a good team. They would win the AAC but they are borderline top 25. Uconn should win next week. But nothing from last night tells me it is a lock. Boise,, I am not calling a loss but if they play and the coaches coach like last night, I would not put that in the lock win column. Growing pains is probably correct but as much as I want to see the team grow, the head coaching needs to grow even more.

Reaction Score
When you make two million dollars a year and you think this is a good idea?

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconn-football-how-the-2-qb-system-worked/

Sorry, that is sheer lunacy - I don't care how many D-1 coaches and players post here. That plan is a joke. Oh we promised Casey the whole drive the first two drives!
If that was the game plan, then I am even more puzzled by the coach. Lunacy is a very kind word to describe that game plan.

Pick one. They aren't that different. Neither is a runner. Neither is a change of pace. We all have our choice. Make an decision. Until he does, no game is a gimme.

Reaction Score
The insanity of the two quarterback system, bizarre decision making and what a coach says post game are all in play no matter how long he has been coach. Last I checked they were paying his entire salary this year - so while he may think it's great to screw around and treat games like exhibitions... they didn't price the games as exhibitions. It's nice that he thinks the kicker needs work from the right hash... I know it's almost impossible to simulate that in practice.

Nope, the two QB system is fair game and will hopefully end soon.....but........ the decision making is only bizarre to "degenerates" worried about the point spread, and HCBD should trust his own instincts when it comes to post game comments....

you really have gone overboard after game one. Chill

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Once the coaches realized the game was lost, they played to make the score look better. That's why we didn't go for it on 4th down and instead took a FG. 10 pts looks a lot better than 7.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nope, the two QB system is fair game.....but... the decision making is only bizarre to "degenerates" worried about the point spread, and HCBD should trust his own instincts when it comes to post game comments....

you really have gone overboard after game one. Chill

I've been waiting for someone to say that.

What an absolute load of crap. When you are down 21 with 13:00 left a field goal is completely useless.

To try the fake with more time left and take the 3 with less time left is backwards. That anyone would attempt to defend such a dumb decision either means they don't understand a pretty simple concept or are just blindly defending something that can't be defended.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I've been waiting for someone to say that.

What an absolute load of crap. When you are down 21 with 13:00 left a field goal is completely useless.

To try the fake with more time left and take the 3 with less time left is backwards. That anyone would attempt to defend such a dumb decision either means they don't understand a pretty simple concept or are just blindly defending something that can't be defended.
My thoughts exactly. We hit that 1st half FG and then stop their late 1st half drive. Its a new ball game. Completely winnable ball game.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The score was 28-7. If we don't convert 4th down (which we didn't convert later in the game), it's a 21 pt game. 3 scores - all TDs. Kicking the FG trims it down to 18. Still 3 scores but now it's 1 FG, 1 TD and 1 TD + 2 pt conversion. Either way, your D has to make 3 stops.

BONUS: Puyol now has confidence. He drilled the kick straight through. If I recall correctly, his only other attempt last season was kind of shanked. Trimmed the deficit while getting Puyol some experience. We are going to need him during the season. If I have a problem with anything, it was the decision to fake FG earlier in the 2nd half. Either line up and go for it with your offense, attempt the FG or just punt. 4th and 12 wasn't the right time, in my opinion, to call for a fake. Feagles did gain 10 yards on the fake but it was just too far of a distance to ask a punter to run to get the 1st down.

Reaction Score
Once the coaches realized the game was lost, they played to make the score look better. That's why we didn't go for it on 4th down and instead took a FG. 10 pts looks a lot better than 7.
25 point loss looks better than 28? Name the last coach that you liked at Uconn that played to make a loss look better?

I am concerned that Diaco had this down as a loss so WTF did it matter to run a fake and then get the kicker work when going for it sent a better message to the team and fans since a loss is a loss and I knew it was a loss before the game started.

Diaco a looked liked the rookie he is last night. Hope the learning curve is short and steep.

Watch the game again and focus on the play calling and strategy. Watch the substitutions on offense. And then tell me if I should shut up.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
25 point loss looks better than 28? Name the last coach that you liked at Uconn that played to make a loss look better?

I am concerned that Diaco had this down as a loss so WTF did it matter to run a fake and then get the kicker work when going for it sent a better message to the team and fans since a loss is a loss and I knew it was a loss before the game started.

Diaco a looked liked the rookie he is last night. Hope the learning curve is short and steep.

Watch the game again and focus on the play calling and strategy. Watch the substitutions on offense. And then tell me if I should shut up.
If that is the case then there's a problem. I don't think he had it down as a loss, its just that every call he made went against him. Sometimes that happens, but it happens more to an inexperienced coach.

Reaction Score
If that is the case then there's a problem. I don't think he had it down as a loss, its just that every call he made went against him. Sometimes that happens, but it happens more to an inexperienced coach.
Did he coach to win or did he coach to see what he has? 50 players in a game. Name any FBS school that did that this weekend even if the game was a blowout?

He brought in Whitmer in the red zone because it was the plan not because it would lead to a win. That is truly concerning and tells me he was more concerned about plan and evaluation than winning.

Inexperience or incompetence? Not going there yet but if it happens again, then I will wonder.

Reaction Score
The negative comments are WAY OUT OF PLACE!

Come on HCBD is in the infancy of his command, and we faced a top 25 program.

I think the coach and the team will respond well to this game experience, and I know the future is bright.

Those of you throwing out negativeism belong on the Rutgers board. Sorry - but that is true . whaler and others, its the first game of a new ERA.

For instance, I don't mean to get picky on positions, but we have FOUR D1 talented running backs.
For instance i Don;t mean to get picky on position, but our LB corp was not that bad.
For instance I don't mean to get picky on position, but our Offensive Line was NOT the BAD.
For instance, I don't mean to get picky on position, but our Special Teams were AOK.,

So for all the Sally's out there - GO GET A MASENGALE WASH - I expect a drubbing of Stoney Brook and a sounding defeat of Bosie.

I wish I was within a 10 hour drive of the Rent, and could take in a game experience, but I firmly believe success this year.judged by a 6-6 record with maybe a surprise to put us to 7-5.

The only real criticism of this game was the fan support, and I expect that to change after a Stoney Borrk and Boise win. We have seen the Rent rock and we will experience that again.

For instance

If you don't think there weren't some crazy decisions last night, then I don't know what game you were watching. And as someone who has had season tix since before the Rent opened, the last three years have been like flushing my money down the toilet. So last night hope sprang eternal and to see some of the stupid decision making (taking Cochrane out of the first drive in the second half followed by a fake FG), just brought me back to three years of face palms sitting in 222. So you can call us a bunch of pansies or whatever, but that criticism is valid

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Did he coach to win or did he coach to see what he has? 50 players in a game. Name any FBS school that did that this weekend even if the game was a blowout?

He brought in Whitmer in the red zone because it was the plan not because it would lead to a win. That is truly concerning and tells me he was more concerned about plan and evaluation than winning.

Inexperience or incompetence? Not going there yet but if it happens again, then I will wonder.
I think he knew what he had, he just wanted to experiment after the 14-0 deficit. And hopefully he now knows that the 2-QB is a fail.

And I disagree with the whole 2-QB nonsense - its an indication that you can't make a decision. 2-QB teams are rarely successful.

Reaction Score
I think he knew what he had, he just wanted to experiment after the 14-0 deficit. And hopefully he now knows that the 2-QB is a fail.

And I disagree with the whole 2-QB nonsense - its an indication that you can't make a decision. 2-QB teams are rarely successful.
At 14-0 the game is not over. An experiment there tells me he determined before the game that it was a loss so just follow the plan to evaluate the players and not worry about winning the game. And that sucks.

Any bizarre substitutions at QB the next 2 weeks and I will be worried about him.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
At 14-0 the game is not over. An experiment there tells me he determined before the game that it was a loss so just follow the plan to evaluate the players and not worry about winning the game. And that sucks.

Any bizarre substitutions at QB the next 2 weeks and I will be worried about him.
If there is even a mention of a 2-QB approach in the week before Stony Brook , I'll be upset. That game won't tell us anything - I would hate for it to be a successful 2-QB outing and then we get steamrolled by Boise St with it. Because I know it won't work.

Reaction Score
Really? First game of a new era and the coach made some really, strange calls. The QB changes should not be questioned? The ultra positive post game spin after a 25 point loss should be embraced? No negativity? Or is the negativity you perceive a harsh case of reality? The coach looked and acted like a first timer last night.

New flash. BYU is a good team. They would win the AAC but they are borderline top 25. Uconn should win next week. But nothing from last night tells me it is a lock. Boise,, I am not calling a loss but if they play and the coaches coach like last night, I would not put that in the lock win column. Growing pains is probably correct but as much as I want to see the team grow, the head coaching needs to grow even more.

Sorry dude, but I will give HCBD all the leeway he needs to establish a program. First game, really, who cares about the QB calls, seriouslty, I admire his balls to see what works. we can object all we want, but please give him 5 games to set the personel.

I use to get so mad when one of our former coaches use to let palyers rid ethe bench till splinters CRUSHED their balls. Its a new era. Just think 4 talented RB's and pleyed them all. Idont't know if marrier, or Arkeep are tops o r #3, or the Ct kid is the one but they all got burn.

I'm sure that was the same for the O line and D line as well ( I juat don't know the names). So all in all i look for an AWESOME game against SB. And I appreciate a HC who lets palyers have some BURN to see who rocks. As an aside I thin the RB #3 ( I think) is our superstar, although Marrier is very good and AK needs his plays ala Larry Taylor

GO Huskeis. Go Coach Diablo. I am TOTALLY on board 9although a bit drunk)

Hey BL wake up, its going to be a special 2/3 years - so don't throw your CREDIBIITY out the door by being quiet

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry dude, but I will give HCBD all the leeway he needs to establish a program. First game, really, who cares about the QB calls, seriouslty, I admire his balls to see what works. we can object all we want, but please give him 5 games to set the personel.

I use to get so mad when one of our former coaches use to let palyers rid ethe bench till splinters CRUSHED their balls. Its a new era. Just think 4 talented RB's and pleyed them all. Idont't know if marrier, or Arkeepvery good, and AK needs . o r #3, or The Ct kid is the one but they all got burn. I'm sure that was the same for the O line and D line as well ( I juat don't know the names). So all in all i look for an AWESOME game against SB. And I appreciate a HC who lets palyers have some BURN to see who rocks. As an aside I thin the RB #3 ( I thin) is our supeerstar, although Marrier is very good and AK needs his palys.

GO Huskeis. Go Coach Diablo. I am TOTALLY on baord.

Hey BL wake up, its going to be a special 2/3 years - so don't throw your CREDIBIITY out the door by being quiet
Great for you. But this program does not need nor should it tolerate rookie coaching mistakes beyond 1 game. Another 3 or 5 win season filled with bizarre coaching decisions will have ramifications way beyond the football program.

And if the win versus SB is less than 24 get worried real fast.

Reaction Score
We are not paying him for moral victories. Who cares if we played every kid on the team. We got it handed to us by an un-ranked team with 6 of their starters out. If you ignored the side line and put this guy in it all looked the same.

upload_2014-8-30_22-56-18.jpeg

Reaction Score
Remind us who your choice was to be the next head coach after PP got whacked?
I wanted someone that had head coaching experience whether it be if low level FBS or D II. I felt then and feel now that Uconn would not benefit from on the job learning. My secondary position was that if you hired a rookie, they should be an OC not a DC as the success rate of OCs appear to be higher than DCs.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We sucked last night.

Anybody that defends anything about last night just simply doesn't get it.

Diaco embarrassed himself and since it's game 1, I won't right him off forever but he was awful last night... Maybe even more so than the team which is saying a lot.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I feel like I should make some profound statement in this thread, but then again, I'm reminded of the fact that the OP has previously posted preposterous stuff on the board, like one time when he said if we aren't in another conference by 2017, that he's completely done with UConn football. Yup. He said that. And now he wants everyone on the board to either show some positivity or get a "Masengale wash". Yup... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom