Not quite OT - SEC (softball with WBB comment) | The Boneyard

Not quite OT - SEC (softball with WBB comment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
For those who don't follow softball, it is the Super Regional weekend. Eight best of 3 series at the homes of the top 8 seeds to determine who is going to the Women's College World Series.

Eight of the 16 teams involved (yes, that is half) are from the SEC (3 PAC, 2 ACC, 1 B12, 1 B1G and 1 Sun Belt round out the field). SEC teams are in 7 of the series (#1 seed Florida is playing Kentucky that upset #16). They are the host for 5 of the 8 series.

Regardless of what I think of all this (my Wildcats are at LSU) it is a mark of a conference that insisted that its members focus on improvement and facilities. It wasn't that long ago that the PAC and some other schools in the west were the powers. Until 3 years ago, an SEC team never won a championship until Alabama in 2012 and Florida in 2014. This is scary.

Here's the thing about WBB - the reason the SEC was such a power for so long was because early on, they got a head jump and concentrated on WBB, with much success at, among others, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, Vandy, Ole Miss and others, then things faded for a while. But I really think if you look at the coaching hires of the last few years, it looks like almost all the teams are taking it seriously and trying. I would be very scared of a resurgence in SEC women's basketball, especially with a lot of football money behind it.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Not until they get better coaching. I hate watching SEC games. Such ugly basketball.

Other than UConn, I really only enjoyed watching Baylor play. (ND plays a nice brand of basketball, but I hate watching them for other reasons.) Liked how Dayton played, but really only saw them in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom