Not a bad day for soccer | The Boneyard

Not a bad day for soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
USMNT vs. Czech-All about seeing some new talent with some intriguing selections. Up to six subistitutions, Guzan is splitting the game with Rimando so that's one.

Klinsmann found the Stanford kid while they were scrimmaging against them in camp this May. Apparently he is a product of the Sounders Academy but chose to attend college because his parents are Doctors. Supposedly he got JK's eye when he scored in the scrimmage

Sporting vs. the Revs: Feilhaber and Dwyer suspended for yellows. Also could be Jermaine Jones's first start.

Reaction Score
Also, England vs. Norway. Norway is starting a 15 year old. Argentina and Germany could be good too.

Reaction Score
US lucky not to be down 1-0 on a GREAT counter atack by tCzech Rep. They had a 3-2 fast break and the crossing pass was just a tad too long for the guy to punch it in. Good effort getting back into the play by the D (couldn't catch who it was watching it on my iPhone).

Reaction Score
First half looked good. Green doesn't look impressive. Jozy needs to be more aggressive.

Reaction Score
Really liked what I saw of Gyau in the first half. Good win, but we obviously weren't nearly as impressive after all the substitutions as we were in the first half.

Brek Shea looked like he had all the skills of a high schooler. I guess that's what happens when you never ever actually play in a game.

Reaction Score
Brek is super rusty. I think Green had the same problem.

Jozy was kind of disturbing too. We could lots of players to do what he did tonight. He needs to take some guys on! I am ready to see some of these guys like Zardes get a shot.

Reaction Score
Good result playing a lot of new faces. Would have liked to have seen a different keeper sub in for Guzan, as opposed to 35 year old Rimando. Would have liked to see Cropper get a look.

Reaction Score
Good result playing a lot of new faces. Would have liked to have seen a different keeper sub in for Guzan, as opposed to 35 year old Rimando. Would have liked to see Cropper get a look.
Agree 100% that this was a good result, especially seeing as the match was played in Prague with what looked to be the A team of the Czechs.
Guzan and Rimando will have to be the go to keepers with Howard taking the year off, so I have no problem with them getting the work in this game.

Reaction Score
Czech Republic was definitely playing their A-team (predominantly). This was the Czech's last tune up before UEFA European qualifying which gets going Suday-Tuesday. Czech plays Tuesday v Netherlands. I like that we are beginning to compete and win on European soil. This wasn't the case pre JK. USMNT was something like 3-14-2 the decade prior to Klinsman and about .500 (4-4-2) since JK took over in 2011.

Reaction Score
Who do you think will be called up for the game at the Rent?

Was thinking it would primarily be an MLS squad with most of the big guns, but JK said that he was all about testing the new blood right now. So I guess it will blend most of the MLS guys that were on the WC roster plus some younger surprises that will get capped for the first time.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% that this was a good result, especially seeing as the match was played in Prague with what looked to be the A team of the Czechs.
Guzan and Rimando will have to be the go to keepers with Howard taking the year off, so I have no problem with them getting the work in this game.

We have absurd depth at keeper right now. Not much separating all of them, including Howard.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We have absurd depth at keeper right now. Not much separating all of them, including Howard.
Always have had. From Meola to Friedel to Keller to Howard to Guzan/Rimando/Copper/Hamid/Johnson.

I thought we looked pretty good last night against a full "A" Czech team (preparing for Euro Qualifying). Especially with such a young line up. Well in the first half anyway. Second half was rougher. Liked Diskerud in the middle and Gyau on the wing. I could see Johnson, Brooks, Chandler and ??? starting lots of games for us.

Reaction Score
I had forgotten that the Czech team was preparing for EuroCup qualifying and that the US took them on with a ‘development’ team and won. They were rougher in the 2nd half, especially late; which was JK’s own fault (not in a bad way, the plan had always been to use a lot of subs to get a lot of new faces on the pitch, which is part of the process for 2018 even if it sacrificed this game). That said, the kids kept it together enough to keep the win (and shut-out) with a lot of help from the US keeper platoon. Give them props.

Anyone catch JK’s post-game interview where he said the 2018 World Cup Quarterfinals is a realistic expectation for the US team? I do not always agree with JK’s decisions (See Donovan); but, I like his moxie and overall plan.

As for the Rent, I expect JK to swallow his ego for a day and let Donovan have his night under the lights and then get pulled with, say, 10 minutes left for a standing ovation. I fully expect the team to be MLS heavy with some vets, like Jones, and some fresh blood. The US has always had 2 teams early in Cup qualification – Team A from MLS and Mexico and team B from Europe.

Reaction Score
Always have had. From Meola to Friedel to Keller to Howard to Guzan/Rimando/Copper/Hamid/Johnson.

I thought we looked pretty good last night against a full "A" Czech team (preparing for Euro Qualifying). Especially with such a young line up. Well in the first half anyway. Second half was rougher. Liked Diskerud in the middle and Gyau on the wing. I could see Johnson, Brooks, Chandler and ??? starting lots of games for us.

But in 2002, it was really Keller and Friedel. Howard was just coming into elite form with Metrostars (I just like typing Metrostars) and was about to get sold to Man U.

Now we have Howard, Guzan and Rimando who are basically even. And then you have Cody Cropper and Bill Hamid.

Diskerud kind of reminded me of a young Dempsey.

I liked the back line that started yesterday.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But in 2002, it was really Keller and Friedel. Howard was just coming into elite form with Metrostars (I just like typing Metrostars) and was about to get sold to Man U.

Now we have Howard, Guzan and Rimando who are basically even. And then you have Cody Cropper and Bill Hamid.

Diskerud kind of reminded me of a young Dempsey.

I liked the back line that started yesterday.
I've always liked Diskerud. Hope he gets more chances to show his stuff. And I hope he does.

I liked most of it, think we could upgrade Orozco.

Reaction Score
I've always liked Diskerud. Hope he gets more chances to show his stuff. And I hope he does.

I liked most of it, think we could upgrade Orozco.

Sitting at home waiting for the dude to come work on my furnace and rewatching the first half. I'll double down on Diskerud. He could be a real #10 for us,

Nitpicking.

We looked vulnerable against CR's counters in the first half.

Green needs more minutes in club football before we start him again. I like JK but I think he us trying to force this.

Altidore? I am so ready to see some of the MLS guys like Zardes to get a shot. All Altidore did was get the ball, shield the ball and dish it off. We need more from him.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sitting at home waiting for the dude to come work on my furnace and rewatching the first half. I'll double down on Diskerud. He could be a real #10 for us,
I'm thinking more an #8. Maybe Bradley, Disk and Bedoya together. Three 8 1/2's?

We looked vulnerable against CR's counters in the first half.
We had no #6 sitting back in there. Rosicky was all by himself all game.

Altidore? I am so ready to see some of the MLS guys like Zardes to get a shot. All Altidore did was get the ball, shield the ball and dish it off. We need more from him.
Agreed, I'd like to see Agudelo, Boyd given a chance. Zardes hair would have fit in with the team last night.

Reaction Score
Agudelo doesn't even have a club right now! Stoke City is an abortion.

Reaction Score
Stoke just beat the best team in the league this past weekend. They tried like heck to get Agudelo but he just could not get the work permit. Hope the kid gets some where in Germany and soon

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agudelo doesn't even have a club right now! Stoke City is an abortion.
Well Klinsy was putting Shea in the shop window, could do the same for Agudelo.

Reaction Score
Stoke just beat the best team in the league this past weekend. They tried like heck to get Agudelo but he just could not get the work permit. Hope the kid gets some where in Germany and soon

Stoke is an abortion for American players. Geoff Cameron asked to moved to the center, so they benched him, tried to transfer him and now he is hurt. It's anyone's guess if he gets back on the field.

And not to quibble but Man City is probably #2 at the moment. Chelski looks pretty formidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom