Non-Key Tweets | Page 344 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nobody is trying to "make it work." Stop talking about what would "make it work." The system is being driven by conferences which are trying to maximize their short term and long term interets. If you look at this any other way, you will come up with wrong answers.

It's not just conferences and ADs. It's university presidents who are all part of the same social "club". Yes of course they are maximizing their interests, and also making sure that the system that allows it to occur, doesn't come crashing down. Excessive greed can kill the golden goose and they know it, at least some of them do.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 4h4 hours ago
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/wri...sports-sec-big-ten-dominate-100m-revenue-club

All of this done by B10 on old 2006 Tier 1 TV contract.
What happens in 2017 with new contract?

B10 $ goes Boom!

From the article:

Ohio State and Rutgers were in different stratospheres in the Big Ten, separated last year by $105.8 million. Northwestern, Illinois and Purdue also got doubled up in revenue compared to Ohio State, last year’s national champion in football.

OSU was at 170 so that would mean RU is at 65. Pretty miserable for the Scarlet Knights considering their TV $$$ from the B1G (I know they don't have full shares yet, but even at the newbie rate it's about 10-15 times of what UConn gets).

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
ACC schools: FSU and ... Louisville?

Reaction Score
Pro sports like MLB and NFL are single entities when it comes to a business model. College football consists of individual programs acting either individually, within an inside conference, within an outside conference, overpaid programs, underpaid programs. Just stating the obvious. I don't see how any of it makes sense long term until programs like Texas, Michigan, etc. decide they are tired of sharing their revenue with the likes of Kansas State and Rutgers. And no, the former do not need the latter in order to exist. I like to look at extremes. Perhaps more programs decide to go independent to the point where they will be included in the playoffs, or a drastic realignment creates maybe two outstanding conferences consisting of perennial Top 25 programs, geography be damned altogether.

Reaction Score
Pro sports like MLB and NFL are single entities when it comes to a business model. College football consists of individual programs acting either individually, within an inside conference, within an outside conference, overpaid programs, underpaid programs. Just stating the obvious. I don't see how any of it makes sense long term until programs like Texas, Michigan, etc. decide they are tired of sharing their revenue with the likes of Kansas State and Rutgers. And no, the former do not need the latter in order to exist. I like to look at extremes. Perhaps more programs decide to go independent to the point where they will be included in the playoffs, or a drastic realignment creates maybe two outstanding conferences consisting of perennial Top 25 programs, geography be damned altogether.

People like messing with successful formulas. This is why I can't buy Krispy Kreme donuts anymore.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's not just conferences and ADs. It's university presidents who are all part of the same social "club". Yes of course they are maximizing their interests, and also making sure that the system that allows it to occur, doesn't come crashing down. Excessive greed can kill the golden goose and they know it, at least some of them do.

You seem to think that taming their excessive greed would somehow be beneficial to us.

You should stop believing that.

They will make as much money as they can - they may have to make some allowance for the athletes given the current environment - but you're in the wrong orbit if you think that they'll somehow be shamed into elevating us into the club.

Reaction Score
You seem to think that taming their excessive greed would somehow be beneficial to us.

They will make as much money as they can - they may have to make some allowance for the athletes given the current environment - but you're in the wrong orbit if you think that they'll somehow be shamed into elevating us into the club.

Most of them couldn't tell a football from a pumpkin. When you make $700k-1m a year like they do, job #1 is just staying in your position while the board fields indignant phone calls from alumni, boosters, politicians and your local university-affiliated developers. They are Roger Goodell's on a smaller scale--do whatever to stay in your position as long as possible.

Reaction Score

Pro sports are not single entities when it comes to business model. The revenue disparity is much greater in the NFL and MLB than in P5 college football. Dallas had revenues of $620 million last year and the Vikings had $281 million, or a $331 million gap, which is about 2x Texas' total athletic spending. MLB is the same way. Yankees had $508 million in revenues and Tampa Bay had $188 million, or a $320 million gap.

Pro sports survives with the revenue gap and so will college sports.

Reaction Score
Pro sports are not single entities when it comes to business model. The revenue disparity is much greater in the NFL and MLB than in P5 college football. Dallas had revenues of $620 million last year and the Vikings had $281 million, or a $331 million gap, which is about 2x Texas' total athletic spending. MLB is the same way. Yankees had $508 million in revenues and Tampa Bay had $188 million, or a $320 million gap.

The NFL though has revenue sharing. Sharing of gate receipts, branding, and especially the TV package.

Reaction Score
Most of them couldn't tell a football from a pumpkin. When you make $700k-1m a year like they do, job #1 is just staying in your position while the board fields indignant phone calls from alumni, boosters, politicians and your local university-affiliated developers. They are Roger Goodell's on a smaller scale--do whatever to stay in your position as long as possible.

Yes. The first rule of understanding any no-profit is that every decision is about "what is good for the paid staff."

Reaction Score

Every team at the professional level plays by exactly the same rules and every team has a chance to win the whole nut. College football is nothing at all like professional sports in that regard.

Reaction Score
The NFL though has revenue sharing. Sharing of gate receipts, branding, and especially the TV package.

You are partially correct. The NFL does share national TV revenues and some portions of gate receipts and merchandise revenues. But, revenues from suites, club seats, and sponsorships belong to the individual teams (which is why all of the new stadiums are loaded with club seats and suites). In addition, the Cowboys do not share merchandise revenues with the other 31 teams. This is why you see the wide disparity in revenues between teams. In MLB, there is much less sharing.

Reaction Score
Every team at the professional level plays by exactly the same rules and every team has a chance to win the whole nut. College football is nothing at all like professional sports in that regard.

At the college level, they play with the same number of scholarships per school, although I will agree that academic standards vary by school. Athletic facilities in the NFL and in college are not all the same. Clearly, the way schools are selected for the playoff is different than the NFL. But, let's look at the results: Since the first Super Bowl in 1967, 19 NFL teams have won a Super Bowl. During that same time period, 20 schools have been the final AP #1, BCS champ, or Playoff Champ.

Reaction Score
At the college level, they play with the same number of scholarships per school, although I will agree that academic standards vary by school. Athletic facilities in the NFL and in college are not all the same. Clearly, the way schools are selected for the playoff is different than the NFL. But, let's look at the results: Since the first Super Bowl in 1967, 19 NFL teams have won a Super Bowl. During that same time period, 20 schools have been the final AP #1, BCS champ, or Playoff Champ.
So 59% of NFL teams vs. 16% of NCAA teams have won. Understood.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
OU and B10 officials talking via proxy agents. Meeting "secretly" this weekend in St.Louis.

Murr@MurrDCU
@PromiscuousJawa where did ur Cincy/SEC come from? Sec? Cincy? TV folks?

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
@MurrDCU I'm just an internet troll making stuff up. Little kid in his moms basement. Didn't you hear?

:p:D:D

It's funny, because he is. This is the guy who had us and BYU to the Big 12 a few months back, and who blocks anyone who questions any of his nonsense.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the truest non key tweet yet!

In fairness if you wanted to hold a secret meeting where nobody would ever find you, I can't think of a more irrelevant city than St. Louis.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Isn't Jawa the parody to Tuxedo Yoda, like the "Fish of WV" is to the dude? Or am I missing something?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't think there is any way to shame them into elevating us. I think some of them are savvy enough to know that if, in the aggregate they leave a lot of schools completely on the sidelines, then it is more likely that the whole system is challenged and they kill the golden goose. Others, like UT, probably don't care because they think they will be fine flying solo.

Reaction Score
In fairness if you wanted to hold a secret meeting where nobody would ever find you, I can't think of a more irrelevant city than St. Louis.
Somehow, they'll probably be keeping the Rams.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 3h3 hours ago
Expansion nugget: If the B12 is really cooling on expansion why are so many schools from lessor confs maneuvering for AAC membership?

AJ Tech ‏@tech_aj · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV who's maneuvering?

@tech_aj Buffalo, UMass & a host of others.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @tech_aj To offset potential losses in 2017-18. Likely just a rumor but I like to think it's true until I can run it down.

@tech_aj Say the ACC would suddenly add UC & UCONN. Logic says they expect to lose a few.

@tech_aj If the B1G amendment passes I don't see how the Big 12 can avoid expansion. Round robin play & divisions = triple jeopardy.

I don't care about their time zones - the Big 12 is crazy for not adding BYU & Boise AND Cincy + (UCF, Memphis).

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @Epfourteen Makes perfect sense. Improve product and expand east.

Add BYU & Boise as football only. Impact of their time zones is minimized that way.

Chuck Fuller ‏@chuck_fuller · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV personally not for split membership after what it did to the Big East.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @chuck_fuller Didn't the football only members eventually become full members. It was the hoops only schools that were the problem.

You can't tell me that BYU is valuable enough to have a contract with ESPN but wouldn't eventually add value to B12 TV deal.

Kyle Jacobson ‏@_KyleJacobson · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV What do you think about BYU + UConn? Geography is the only issue.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @_KyleJacobson UCONN is hard to value. Are they a partner for WVU? Not really. Do they fit B12 culture? No.

Kyle Jacobson ‏@_KyleJacobson · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV No, but I like that they're a flagship, don't have an NFL team, good academics, good market, football potential, etc.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @_KyleJacobson You can't predict what the B12 will do. Their motivations eschew a logical determination of candidates.

@_KyleJacobson B12 seems to lack a comprehensive plan. Instead they value agendas over metrics & logical choices.

AJ Tech ‏@tech_aj · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV you can't tell me adding any of the upper echelon AAC teams or BYU don't add value. They need viewers outside of Texas.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @tech_aj Its that the contract doesn't have an escalator for expansion to 12. Maintains payout but without an increase.

@tech_aj So the TV $ doesn't offset small loss of revenue from dividing other rev by 12 instead of 10.

Reaction Score
Somehow, they'll probably be keeping the Rams.
St. Louis being in the top 20 U.S. metro areas in population, about the same in TV market size, and headquarters of Monsanto, Graybar Electric, Edward Jones, Express Scripts Holding, Emerson Electric, Centene, Reinsurance Group of America, Peabody Energy, Ameren, other Fortune 500 companies, and other multi-billion dollar companies may play some small role.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom