Non-Key Tweets | Page 343 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
Wow. Hearing SEC is exploring how to get WVU out of B12 gor. Never believed any interest before but this from a reliable source

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
Also exploring Cincinnati. More attractive now w stadium/arena upgrades. Would be move to get north.

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
I fully expect Cincy to be in ACC at some point but this could change things if SEC strikes. Would also leave B12 with a conundrum.

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
Cincinnati intriguing in expansion. They could geographically, academically, and (in a minor way) athletically fit into 4/5 of P5.

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
WVU would fit from a national perspective brand. But doesn't bring any new ones recruiting ground. Improves Basketball lineup.

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
Is ESPN tampering to dismantle the B12? Hmmm.

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
My sources tell me the B12 implosion will begin to manifest in March. It will start to become clear that 4X16 does not include B12.

Doug@NebGradDubDub
@posas13 @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @flugempire @PromiscuousJawa B12 has had a conundrum. It's the scorn of NEB and Texas A&M

Greg Fluguar@flugempire
If SEC would ever risk challenging B12 GOR it would be over OU..

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
@flugempire @NebGradDubDub @posas13 @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush OU is B10 bound my friend. Wait and see.

Greg Fluguar@flugempire
Possibly...but not now. Not for 8-9 years.
We agree to disagree

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
@flugempire @NebGradDubDub @posas13 @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush you underestimate the power of politics and networks.

As if it really has any base in reality (it doesn't), but if the SEC is going to expand and to do so is going to break apart the Big 12, then they'll take two big 12 teams. If they expand without taking GOR teams, then Cincy could be in play but who's #12?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The SEC had the opportunity to add WVU when they added Arkansas & South Carolina and again when they added A&M & Mizzou. If the SEC had any interest in West Virginia they would have added them years ago.

When the SEC does expand it will be to add the states of Virginia and North Carolina (the only missing members of the confederacy) to the fold.

pj

Reaction Score
It could be that ESPN wants the SEC to stay away from the ACC, keeping that together (SEC and ACC are its two prime properties), wants the SEC to encroach upon the B10 (Ohio), and that the SEC is willing to go to 20 teams to help ESPN gather market share. If you're not stopping at 16 teams, 20 makes more sense than 18.

If you're planning to go to 20, then who is there from the B12? Oklahoma, Kansas, another Texas team to complement A&M which is in southeastern Texas; you could take Oklahoma State too; but it's hard to get to 6 teams. Cincy and WVU would do it.

If you're going to take Cincy eventually, taking it now and frustrating B12 expansion helps break up the B12 quicker.

In this scenario ACC adds Texas with a Notre Dame like deal, and maybe UConn and some other B12 leftovers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"It will start to become clear that 4X16 does not include B12."

Is UConn part of 4X16? Of course, right?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There are non key tweets, and then there's promiscuous jawa. Nice to see the pendulum swing back the other direction at least!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I have no idea how much pull A&M has but I would suspect that they want no part of Texas' silver spoon antics. I would also suspect that Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, and the rest of the behemoth football programs in the SEC will have no part of any kind of LHN. If the B12 folds, I think Texas will be ticketed for the ACC with some sort of ND-ish sweetheart deal.

If the SEC were to poach the B12, I think OU would be their prime target. I think OU fans would fall all over themselves for a SEC invite - the match seems natural. As for a partner, Kansas does make sense from a SECN standpoint. SEC hoops desperately needs someone, anyone, to play competitive games against Kentucky every now and again. Kansas could certainly do that. And let's face it, the SEC could afford adding a "basketball school"...I think they have football covered. If the B1G wants Kansas for its AAU, then they could generate quite a little courting war between the two conference giants. Personally, I think Kansas would be better suited for the B1G. The money they could make from sports and AAU affiliations would be too good to pass up. After Kansas, would Baylor or TCU interest the SEC? If not, they would certainly land on their feet in the PAC or ACC. Or would OU politics try to cram okielite down the SEC's throats?

One thing is for certain: the B12 is a dead conference walking. Finding homes for its members is anyone's guess. My guesses are:

Texas - ACC
WVU - ACC
OU - SEC
TCU - SEC
KU - B1G
Baylor - PAC

Everyone else: welcome to purgatory!

Reaction Score
Texas - ACC
WVU - ACC
OU - SEC
TCU - SEC
KU - B1G
Baylor - PAC

Everyone else: welcome to purgatory!
If the PAC was wary of BYU (reportedly) for religious reasons, how could it accept Baylor? Even it that weren't true Baylor doesn't fit the bill there.

I also see really no way the SEC double dips in Texas with TCU. The only way they do that is with UT.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Big 10 has a presence inside the NYC DMA. The ACC has Syracuse which is in the same state as the NYC DMA. The SEC isn't going to be shut out of this key market. Hmm. Who is left on board who could help them with a NYC DMA presence?

On a related note: I have got to get a Twitter account, so I can post myself in this thread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
B12 has No plans to announce expansion prior to 2017 making it at least 2018 before teams join. Houston and Memphis are the targets.

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
Cincinnati is rumored everywhere as going to B12 but my source says the belief is that Cincy won't be available by 2017.

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
Info stemming from a rush teleconference call this week. B12 expect to see deregulation of CCG voted down with B10/P12 banding together.

Murr@murrdcu
@PromiscuousJawa who would the SEC strike first with from your earlier tweet?

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
@MurrDCU I don't think they would add Cincy if they can't get WVU out of their GOR. ESPN has their hand in the cookie jar on this.

[URL='https://twitter.com/PromiscuousJawa']Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
@MurrDCU with all the cord cutters they have more obligation than revenue projected.

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
@MurrDCU[/URL] lost 7 mil customers in last two years.

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
ESPN on the hook for next 10 years with most NCAA obligations. Revenue diminishing. Obligations have escalators. How do you get out of that?

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
You do it by causing one of the conferences to disband. Obligation gone. Consolidate.

Utini‏@PromiscuousJawa
They'll have trouble landing B10 first tier rights again if they don't cut somewhere.

Reaction Score
It could be that ESPN wants the SEC to stay away from the ACC, keeping that together (SEC and ACC are its two prime properties), wants the SEC to encroach upon the B10 (Ohio), and that the SEC is willing to go to 20 teams to help ESPN gather market share. If you're not stopping at 16 teams, 20 makes more sense than 18.

If you're planning to go to 20, then who is there from the B12? Oklahoma, Kansas, another Texas team to complement A&M which is in southeastern Texas; you could take Oklahoma State too; but it's hard to get to 6 teams. Cincy and WVU would do it.

If you're going to take Cincy eventually, taking it now and frustrating B12 expansion helps break up the B12 quicker.

In this scenario ACC adds Texas with a Notre Dame like deal, and maybe UConn and some other B12 leftovers.

Or the B10 strikes back and locks down NYC. Son of a B*tch!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"It will start to become clear that 4X16 does not include B12."

Is UConn part of 4X16? Of course, right?

There is no 4 x 16. It's utterly unworkable and leaves too many on the sidelines. The Senators and Congressmen from those states will get involved and burn the thing to the ground. If it is 4 conferences, they need to go to 20.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
4x20 actually works as a defacto 8x10 with networks controlling the scheduling.

You get nine division games, two conference games, and 1 out of conference game. The problem is the number of home games for the big stadium schools.

That OOC game is going to be on the road a lot of the time for a lot of programs. No more FCS and non P4 games.

It also requires you know who to join a conference. If I'm the P4, I just leave them out. ND can find 12 OOC games and take their chances the committee picks them for the playoff, because a 4x20 means the CCG winners advance to the playoff.

Reaction Score
The SEC had the opportunity to add WVU when they added Arkansas & South Carolina and again when they added A&M & Mizzou. If the SEC had any interest in West Virginia they would have added them years ago.

When the SEC does expand it will be to add the states of Virginia and North Carolina (the only missing members of the confederacy) to the fold.

I agree that if the SEC expands schools from NC & VA will be its primary targets, especially if its a race to beat the B1G into those markets. That said, I think the SEC would have interest in Oklahoma (football brand) or even OK State (less of a brand, very big local donor) or even one of TCU or Baylor; but, WVU adds nothing that the SEC does not have elsewhere and Cincinnati is on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line, which is a direction that the SEC does not want to go.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
There is no 4 x 16. It's utterly unworkable and leaves too many on the sidelines. The Senators and Congressmen from those states will get involved and burn the thing to the ground. If it is 4 conferences, they need to go to 20.

I've thought about the 4x20 a lot and 2 things jump out at me: 1) there would likely have to be some shifting of current P5 members to achieve balance and 2) the B1G will have to set aside their AAU only rule.

The only way a 4x20 works, IMO, is if the conferences shed the conference mentality and focus on being a collective of 80 schools.

Reaction Score
I've heard the rumors re: SEC before as well. Obviously it's often about relationships behind the scenes as well. One thing for certain, the B12 will likely be caught off guard by the other conferences. Hard to see it as otherwise. It's a group that is very cocky, and will find no reason to act unless it impacts their pocketbook.

Reaction Score
Just a question but why do the power conferences suddenly need to go to 80? There's only 64 schools in the P5 now and even if you add UConn, Cincy, ND and BYU you don't need 80 spots. No matter what happens someone will think they've been unfairly left behind and that will be true at any number.

Reaction Score
65 UConn
66 BYU
67 Cincy
68 Houston
67 UCF
68 USF
69 Temple
70 UNLV
71 SDSU
Hmmm

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
72 would be a good number. You could do 2x16 and 2x20.

That would work. 64 is too few and the 64 are not geographically distributed in a way that would allow 20 in the Pac. The Pac at 16 makes more sense.

Reaction Score
That would work. 64 is too few and the 64 are not geographically distributed in a way that would allow 20 in the Pac. The Pac at 16 makes more sense.

Nobody is trying to "make it work." Stop talking about what would "make it work." The system is being driven by conferences which are trying to maximize their short term and long term interets. If you look at this any other way, you will come up with wrong answers.

Reaction Score
Nobody is trying to "make it work." Stop talking about what would "make it work." The system is being driven by conferences which are trying to maximize their short term and long term interets. If you look at this any other way, you will come up with wrong answers.

This. 1000%.

If you think that these conference actually give a damn about each other enough to ever form some 64 or 72 team super league you're nuts.

pj

Reaction Score

More by networks and universities maximizing their interests. There are basically only two networks, ESPN and Fox, and more conferences; and the networks have had the bargaining power. Conference networks redress that a little.

The Big East didn't maximize its interests very well. Nor the ACC. Nor the B12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom