No Joy in Mudville ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Joy in Mudville ...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I know the Jeff Jacobs's of the world love it - but no more ships to senior walkons with 4.0's - use the ships on players even if they have marginal grades.

So those 'ships' can be taken away when we fail the APR test again? Makes exactly zero sense in this environment.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is the best post on the board in a long while.

Kansas; a perennial powerhouse and recognized "blue blood" has won the ncaa championship once in the last 28 years. ONCE! We are one of the most spoiled fan bases in America...
Let's use a house as an analogy. You hire an architect, you start building, the general contractor and subcontractors build the house without a hitch, ahead of schedule and under budget. You move in only to learn several years later the foundation had bad concrete.

Or you build a house. Hire an architect, the contractors start working and run into problems, so its back to the architect who revises the plans, the contractors complete the portion of the reworked plans but run into another problem after that's completed, necessitating a repeat of the rework by the architect. It's a much more tedious process than the first example but when it's done, the house is a showcase with no problems.

The first example fits Kansas. The second example fits UConn's last two championships. In an ideal situation we want the first process with the second outcome. But who in their right mind wants the first outcome in order to eliminate the second process.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Let's just say we rewind the clock five years and KO had five season like Kansas only to not get an NC. Which of the posters do you think would be the most vocal about removing KO in that scenario?
That is one hell of a question.

I imagine most of the more rational/reasonable posters would believe he was doing a great job and refer to the difficulty JC had for many years of even cracking the final four and the numerous final four runs K had prior to finally cutting down the nets (hose two were with little debate the greatest coaches of their generation and among the top few ever).

There would be some who would complain that KO was unable to win the big game. In some respects KO is the victim of his prior success.

Reaction Score
I grew up a UConn fan in the 90s when any loss was shocking and the whole state would be pissed off the next day. Very sad how okay losing is now.
Just out of curiosity, what are the behavioral differences between the fans who are okay with losing and the fans who are not okay with losing?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That is one hell of a question.

I imagine most of the more rational/reasonable posters would believe he was doing a great job and refer to the difficulty JC had for many years of even cracking the final four and the numerous final four runs K had prior to finally cutting down the nets (hose two were with little debate the greatest coaches of their generation and among the top few ever).

There would be some who would complain that KO was unable to win the big game. In some respects KO is the victim of his prior success.
I'd almost guarantee those two statements would be expressed. They certainly were expressed by a lot of people during JC's run before his first NC.

It was tongue and cheek of course but I would be extremely surprised, even in this most hypothetical construct that has no possibility of being proved that the same posters who are ignoring KO's contribution to the 2014 championship are the one's who would be bitching if the seasons were successful and there were no NCs.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Let's use a house as an analogy. You hire an architect, you start building, the general contractor and subcontractors build the house without a hitch, ahead of schedule and under budget. You move in only to learn several years later the foundation had bad concrete.

Or you build a house. Hire an architect, the contractors start working and run into problems, so its back to the architect who revises the plans, the contractors complete the portion of the reworked plans but run into another problem after that's completed, necessitating a repeat of the rework by the architect. It's a much more tedious process than the first example but when it's done, the house is a showcase with no problems.

The first example fits Kansas. The second example fits UConn's last two championships. In an ideal situation we want the first process with the second outcome. But who in their right mind wants the first outcome in order to eliminate the second process.

I'll sum that up in one statement: There is only one team that is truly happy at the end of the year.

We've been truly happy four times in the last 18 seasons. That's 3 more years than Kansas. And that's once with Ollie at the helm. And our roster is bringing in and developing players that give us a good chance to be truly happy again...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
It was tongue and cheek of course but I would be extremely surprised, even in this most hypothetical construct that has no possibility of being proved ...
If 2018 & 2019 recruiting go as I think they will, and the 2016&17 classes develop as I think they will, we actually have a better-than-decent possibility of proving this.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If 2018 & 2019 recruiting go as I think they will, and the 2016&17 classes develop as I think they will, we actually have a better-than-decent possibility of proving this.
As much as I want to prove this I would give up the opportunity to demonstrate where the flaws really are in order to have great regular seasons and another NC.

As much as I'm calling certain people out recently I don't need to prove anything about them.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
As much as I want to prove this I would give up the opportunity to demonstrate where the flaws really in order to have great regular seasons and another NC.

As much as I'm calling certain people out recently I don't need to prove anything about them.
Agree 100%. I just think our chances of winning 150 games over the next 5 years are better than our chances of winning a 5th national title.

At which point I'm sure the discourse on this board will be delightful.

pj

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, what are the behavioral differences between the fans who are okay with losing and the fans who are not okay with losing?

Fans who are OK with losing root for Kentucky. Getting players to the NBA is what matters.

Reaction Score
"Slide"????

Between 2016 & 2017 we'll have added four top-50 recruits (Gilbert, MAL, Larrier, Durham), three other consensus four-stars (Jackson, Polley, Diarra) and two high-rated 3-stars (Vital, Carleton). And that's before we fill our last two scholarships we have open this spring.

In terms of volume and quality of talent we've had very few back-to-back recruiting classes that are, on paper, as good as these two.

Look more carefully at what I wrote: "NEXT [emphasis added] year is a crucial year because another mediocre record will accelerate the slide in recruiting." The signs are subtle but they are there. I think the current freshman class with 4 ESPN Top 100 players was the beneficial result of the 2014 championship season. The 2017 class only has 1 Top 100 in Ashton-Langford. Looking at our remaining schedule, I see a 13-17 or 14-16 record (losses to SMU, 2 against Cincy, Hou, USF, Mem).

After a season like that, don't you agree that next year will be crucial?

Reaction Score
Preferences are just that preferences.

My preference: UConn bb team beats every opponent by at least double digits with most nights beating them by 6o points. They continuously go undefeated or nearly undefeated year in and year out winning a slew of NC's resulting in them being number one on the list of NC's. And the only two teams they play in the finals are Duke and Kentucky where they proceed to crush them and the hopes of Dickie V and their fans.

Of course I've described the women's team sans the last part. And there are enough differences in the dynamics of men's bb to recognize the preference I have is unrealistic. But I'm with @Pudge. There is just as much chance things can turn around as there is a chance for a never ending spiral to oblivion.

I can agree that two bad seasons could have a negative impact on future recruiting. But how can you think this year's recruits and next years recruiting are part of a slide in recruiting by our coaches?
Because, as I responded to Matrim, I think the Gilbert/Durham/Jackson/Diarra class was due to the impact of the '14 championship season. Next year's recruits include only MAL as a Top 100 recruit. And the loss of Diallo when he was supposedly 'in the bag' is another warning sign. So I'm projecting out a little bit as the shine of the championship wears off a little with each season and the increasing impact of the 2nd-tier conference affects recruiting as well.

Reaction Score
Because it's friggin' hard to win it all.

Only UConn and Duke fans don't know this.
Of course I know that. But if we want to be considered as one of the bluebloods of college basketball, that means having strong, Top 20 teams most years, and being in the conversation about teams that have the chance to win it all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just want to make sure I understand. The next few classes are going to take UConn from struggling to put away the 209th best team in the country at home back to being relevant nationally?

Reaction Score
Who wouldn't.
That's an unreal expectation even for Kentucky or Duke. If that is what it takes to satisfy you it must be miserable to be a fan even in good years.
That's not the point I was trying to make. Who do you think I'm talking about, the UConn women's team?:confused: The 98-99 team was, in my estimation, the best UConn team of all time. But some 25-win regular seasons, especially while we're in the AAC, would be expected. As a rough comparison, Gonzaga has had 9 straight years of 25+ win seasons in a row in the West Coast Conference. We need to replicate that. Regular season excellence gives us a better chance in the tournament if only for the seedings/matchups.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Just want to make sure I understand. The next few classes are going to take UConn from struggling to put away the 209th best team in the country at home back to being relevant nationally?
Less that and more that if we dress more than 6 players we are likely to be an improved team. Adding Gilbert and Larrier is likely to help as well and Diarra couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Funny the statement "how okay losing is now"? What the hell does that even mean. The people who are supporting KO are not okay with losing, not at all what makes you think any of us would be?

There are so many variables for this season to not be the one in which you doubters and spoiled rotten fans harass KO and the Huskies. The injuries, the inconsistent play of the experienced seniors and even more injuries game-to-game. How can a fan of the Huskies, and I mean this, pike on a scenario like this year? I mean much like the kids are trying to do we should be rallying around this team who is fighting their respective butts off despite being undermanned every time they step on the court. Is the expectation to win 20 there even without a full roster because you need to get real with what's on the court.

Let me say this, I'm guessing many Husky fans like myself have concerns and all kinds of them. The conference affiliation, the recruiting (need better smarter players) and KO and the staff to a point even. although not in the respect of he has one more year to prove it. We are all used to winning the last 27 years plus but many of us never knew this UConn prior either so a little bump in the road is something we can survive and wait for it to play out. People need to relax, there are programs who are really really good and successful who would trade the world to be UConn I promise. We will be back, have patience.

I will go back to a post in the last 2 weeks and I apologize to who wrote it but is questioned someone who threw some local names like Cooley and such up for the job as well as the Northeastern guy. Just think of replacing KO with someone without UConn ties, who has nothing to mention close to a NC or affiliation with other NC's as an assistant. Now think of how well he will recruit, minus Ray Allen, Donny Marshall, Boo Willingham, not to mention Jim Calhoun being around any more? How we doing then, who are we then?

KO is the answer, live with it and he will get better and his teams will get better it's still early in the process for him too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let's just say we rewind the clock five years and KO had five season like Kansas only to not get an NC. Which of the posters do you think would be the most vocal about removing KO in that scenario?

I'd trade this for our record over the same period in a heartbeat. And nobody would fire that coach.

2010–11 Bill Self 35–3 14–2 1 Elite Eight
2011–12 Bill Self 32–7 16–2 1 National Runners-up
2012–13 Bill Self 31–6 14–4 T-1 Sweet Sixteen
2013–14 Bill Self 25–10 14–4 1 Third Round
2014–15 Bill Self 27–9 13–5 1 Third Round
2015–16 Bill Self 33–5 15–3 Elite Eight

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll sum that up in one statement: There is only one team that is truly happy at the end of the year.

We've been truly happy four times in the last 18 seasons. That's 3 more years than Kansas. And that's once with Ollie at the helm. And our roster is bringing in and developing players that give us a good chance to be truly happy again...

I disagree. I am truly happy any time we get to the Sweet 16. After that it is mostly luck and match-ups. I am miserable anytime we fail to make the NCAA tournament. Making it and losing in the first weekends is essentially neutral. That's expected.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I am truly happy any time we get to the Sweet 16. After that it is mostly luck and match-ups. I am miserable anytime we fail to make the NCAA tournament. Making it and losing in the first weekends is essentially neutral. That's expected.

I've been truly happy a lot, Elite 8's are a great run too, getting to the 2nd weekend always a good year but much depends on expectations too. But for the most part, it's not true only one team is happy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'd trade this for our record over the same period in a heartbeat. And nobody would fire that coach.

2010–11 Bill Self 35–3 14–2 1 Elite Eight
2011–12 Bill Self 32–7 16–2 1 National Runners-up
2012–13 Bill Self 31–6 14–4 T-1 Sweet Sixteen
2013–14 Bill Self 25–10 14–4 1 Third Round
2014–15 Bill Self 27–9 13–5 1 Third Round
2015–16 Bill Self 33–5 15–3 Elite Eight

Yes. The record is very very good. But, Self continually has the benefit of a top 4 recruiting class and with that luxury, I strongly feel that there are many coaches out there who would most likely reach more than 1 Final Four and probably win at least 1 NC.
In that time period, UConn has 2 Final Fours and 2 NCs - I wouldn't trade anything for that success - and before any of the dolts out there who love to downplay how, with whom and why KO won in 2014, an NC is an NC - something you can't take away (unless the Squid is the coach)

Reaction Score
Funny the statement "how okay losing is now"? What the hell does that even mean. The people who are supporting KO are not okay with losing, not at all what makes you think any of us would be?

There are so many variables for this season to not be the one in which you doubters and spoiled rotten fans harass KO and the Huskies. The injuries, the inconsistent play of the experienced seniors and even more injuries game-to-game. How can a fan of the Huskies, and I mean this, pike on a scenario like this year? I mean much like the kids are trying to do we should be rallying around this team who is fighting their respective butts off despite being undermanned every time they step on the court. Is the expectation to win 20 there even without a full roster because you need to get real with what's on the court.

Let me say this, I'm guessing many Husky fans like myself have concerns and all kinds of them. The conference affiliation, the recruiting (need better smarter players) and KO and the staff to a point even. although not in the respect of he has one more year to prove it. We are all used to winning the last 27 years plus but many of us never knew this UConn prior either so a little bump in the road is something we can survive and wait for it to play out. People need to relax, there are programs who are really really good and successful who would trade the world to be UConn I promise. We will be back, have patience.

I will go back to a post in the last 2 weeks and I apologize to who wrote it but is questioned someone who threw some local names like Cooley and such up for the job as well as the Northeastern guy. Just think of replacing KO with someone without UConn ties, who has nothing to mention close to a NC or affiliation with other NC's as an assistant. Now think of how well he will recruit, minus Ray Allen, Donny Marshall, Boo Willingham, not to mention Jim Calhoun being around any more? How we doing then, who are we then?

KO is the answer, live with it and he will get better and his teams will get better it's still early in the process for him too.

I used to go to games with my Dad when I was a teen and younger even. Those were the losing years, early 80s to late 80s, and I'd take the bus down to New Haven (as a kid by myself) meet him at work, we'd take off for Hartford. The Civic Center would be packed, even in losing seasons, and the fans were rabid. It was loud. Even in losing seasons. I loved those teams. To this day, Tim Coles is my all-time favorite Husky.

This is why I see it as you do. The fans supported this program through thick and thin.

Reaction Score
Yes. The record is very very good. But, Self continually has the benefit of a top 4 recruiting class and with that luxury, I strongly feel that there are many coaches out there who would most likely reach more than 1 Final Four and probably win at least 1 NC.
In that time period, UConn has 2 Final Fours and 2 NCs - I wouldn't trade anything for that success - and before any of the dolts out there who love to downplay how, with whom and why KO won in 2014, an NC is an NC - something you can't take away (unless the Squid is the coach)

99.9% of basketball fans in America would disagree with HuskyHawk on this one.

Let's ask Beakum what he thinks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom