No Joy in Mudville ... | The Boneyard

No Joy in Mudville ...

Reaction Score
No Joy in Mudville ...

My weird academic path portrays a singular mission. I chose UConn as a NYer because they had athletic teams that competed; UALBANY and Binghamton didn't (and as an older son in a family of 6 ... Cost of attendance was important). Then I chose UCLA over Northwestern for MBA out of GE. Why? That's obvious.

Do you know what UCLA basketball felt like in the mid 80s after not winning for a decade? Can you imagine what their corporate older fans were saying? Or ... The Urgency of the students? Did they suck? Nope. Jim Harrick brought in great All-Ratings rosters. And fun style. But you would think they were Paul Anka on the Strip next to Cirque du Soleil.

This Kevin Ollie year brings me back. There are many many posts saying KO can't develop players. I'm ready for my Lewis Black rant: did you frigging remember Neils Giffey or DeAndre Daniels when they first stepped into the 06268? Are you not aware of the Kentan Facey story? Rodney Purvis arrived a Ferrari; but he was a stud like that in Middle School. Brilliant athletic gifts; but Rodney wasn't going to have a high potential with simply that.

When we get 8-10 kids coming on ... I believe Ollie will - once again - pull UConn to top of conference and dangerous in March.

The concern is each of us. Where's the Joy. We won 4 NC and we take pride in the WBB and Brand. The Joy in CBB has to be watching young develop ... as well as dominating the Conference or wins in March or the first week of November. UCLA, btw, was 15 & 17 in 2015-2016; but acknowledged widely as the fun winning Team to watch. Their Hamilton brother stayed to play this year. I believe that has everything to do with the buzz in LA of the coming recruits and what was possible; people were really down on Alford. At UConn, we need to find the energy to drive this Program to greater years. I believe that will come as the current list of new guys arrive and play. You all need to look at the broad Horizon. This goes for UConn Football as well. I don't care about the Clemsons frankly. I care about being damn good and filling the RENT again.

Will 2009 be the last Powerhouse UConn MBB team? Sheesh. Possibilities exist.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
UConn's outside, off the court distractions, are why these analogies never seem to really fit.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pudge,

I believe that you and I are roughly the same age (I'm 56) and I think what we have here is a generational thing (and it goes a long way in explaining the attraction so many top recruits have to Kentucky).

I personally rank the 2010-2011 to 2013-2014 four year stretch miles ahead of the 2005-2006 to 20098-2009 four year stretch but I believe this puts me in the minority. I remember arguing quite often a decade ago (after a missed dunk) that a lay-in was worth every bit as much and unless the player was sure he could pull off the dunk he should lay it in. Too many two decades or more younger than I am (likely due to a combination of ESPN, Nike ads, the internet and now twitter) place style far above substance. The glitz of a gaudy won-loss record prior to the tournament evidently is of more importance than the hardware that comes with winning that tournament.

I am very confident that we will be a top program again but I think there will always be many who would prefer a repeat of the 2005-2006 season than the 2013-2014 season. I would prefer the latter.

Reaction Score
Why does it have to be an either/or proposition? I prefer the years like '98-'99 when they went 34-2 and won the whole thing. Next year is a crucial year because another mediocre record will accelerate the slide in recruiting.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No Joy in Mudville ...

My weird academic path portrays a singular mission. I chose UConn as a NYer because they had athletic teams that competed; UALBANY and Binghamton didn't (and as an older son in a family of 6 ... Cost of attendance was important). Then I chose UCLA over Northwestern for MBA out of GE. Why? That's obvious.

Do you know what UCLA basketball felt like in the mid 80s after not winning for a decade? Can you imagine what their corporate older fans were saying? Or ... The Urgency of the students? Did they suck? Nope. Jim Harrick brought in great All-Ratings rosters. And fun style. But you would think they were Paul Anka on the Strip next to Cirque du Soleil.

This Kevin Ollie year brings me back. There are many many posts saying KO can't develop players. I'm ready for my Lewis Black rant: did you frigging remember Neils Giffey or DeAndre Daniels when they first stepped into the 06268? Are you not aware of the Kentan Facey story? Rodney Purvis arrived a Ferrari; but he was a stud like that in Middle School. Brilliant athletic gifts; but Rodney wasn't going to have a high potential with simply that.

When we get 8-10 kids coming on ... I believe Ollie will - once again - pull UConn to top of conference and dangerous in March.

The concern is each of us. Where's the Joy. We won 4 NC and we take pride in the WBB and Brand. The Joy in CBB has to be watching young develop ... as well as dominating the Conference or wins in March or the first week of November. UCLA, btw, was 15 & 17 in 2015-2016; but acknowledged widely as the fun winning Team to watch. Their Hamilton brother stayed to play this year. I believe that has everything to do with the buzz in LA of the coming recruits and what was possible; people were really down on Alford. At UConn, we need to find the energy to drive this Program to greater years. I believe that will come as the current list of new guys arrive and play. You all need to look at the broad Horizon. This goes for UConn Football as well. I don't care about the Clemsons frankly. I care about being damn good and filling the RENT again.

It's always about perspective. Enjoyed the read.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Why does it have to be an either/or proposition? I prefer the years like '98-'99 when they went 34-2 and won the whole thing. Next year is a crucial year because another mediocre record will accelerate the slide in recruiting.
"Slide"????

Between 2016 & 2017 we'll have added four top-50 recruits (Gilbert, MAL, Larrier, Durham), three other consensus four-stars (Jackson, Polley, Diarra) and two high-rated 3-stars (Vital, Carleton). And that's before we fill our last two scholarships we have open this spring.

In terms of volume and quality of talent we've had very few back-to-back recruiting classes that are, on paper, as good as these two.

I grew up a UConn fan in the 90s when any loss was shocking and the whole state would be pissed off the next day. Very sad how okay losing is now.
You don't remember 91/92, 92/93 or 96/97 then, I guess.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Preferences are just that preferences.

My preference: UConn bb team beats every opponent by at least double digits with most nights beating them by 6o points. They continuously go undefeated or nearly undefeated year in and year out winning a slew of NC's resulting in them being number one on the list of NC's. And the only two teams they play in the finals are Duke and Kentucky where they proceed to crush them and the hopes of Dickie V and their fans.

Of course I've described the women's team sans the last part. And there are enough differences in the dynamics of men's bb to recognize the preference I have is unrealistic. But I'm with @Pudge. There is just as much chance things can turn around as there is a chance for a never ending spiral to oblivion.

I can agree that two bad seasons could have a negative impact on future recruiting. But how can you think this year's recruits and next years recruiting are part of a slide in recruiting by our coaches?

Reaction Score
I thought we would be very good this year. Then we get pasted by Belmont. So, that is proof I don't know jack. I still don't understand why we are so bad this year. I keep thinking we'll get better. It just doesn't happen.

Reaction Score
I thought we would be very good this year. Then we get pasted by Belmont. So, that is proof I don't know jack. I still don't understand why we are so bad this year. I keep thinking we'll get better. It just doesn't happen.

BELMONT?

Did you get lost on the Verrazano and totally blank out when Staten Island institutions arise?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I grew up a UConn fan in the 90s when any loss was shocking and the whole state would be pissed off the next day. Very sad how okay losing is now.
I lived in CT during that time and watched the reactions of people. It wasn't as uniform as you are making it out to be.

Nor is your interpretation of the OP correct. He's not saying losing is ok. He's pointing out that some people need to be melodramatic when circumstances are difficult and that melodrama isn't necessarily accurate.

Pudge is a poster who I believe does major projects for a living. It's his philosophy to not get caught up in doomsday scenarios. He's not oblivious to the factors that are detrimental in accomplishing a goal. He prefers to deal with negatives while following positives. I think it's something a lot of us might want to incorporate into our way of dealing with life.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I never said it needed to be an either/or. What I pointed out was that we had a four year stretch that was bookended by great regular seasons that earned #1 DS but ended in disappointment shy of the trophy and a four year stretch that was bookended with moderate to good regular seasons but spectacular runs, each ending with a trophy. Of the two it seems that many prefer the former (which I cannot understand).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Because it's friggin' hard to win it all.

Only UConn and Duke fans don't know this.

This is the best post on the board in a long while.

Kansas; a perennial powerhouse and recognized "blue blood" has won the ncaa championship once in the last 28 years. ONCE! We are one of the most spoiled fan bases in America...

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
This is the best post on the board in a long while.

Kansas; a perennial powerhouse and recognized "blue blood" has won the ncaa championship once in the last 28 years. ONCE! We are one of the most spoiled fan bases in America...
Considering their incredible consistency & B12 dominance, it's hard to believe. I would be pissed as a KU fan. Lots of missed opportunities.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I long for the dominant regular seasons of the 90's. Is it entitlement or spoiled to want that? I think not. Give me those dominant teams with Gampel and XL (The Civic Center) rocking any day of the week. It doesn't have to be great regular seasons and no national titles. If we could get back to that regular season success, that attracts recruits and we would also win titles.

I'm frankly shocked at how badly we've done in the AAC since the league's inception. I and most long-time posters here expected us to dominate it the way Memphis used to dominate Conference USA. The league would be a one or two bid conference and we'd be a lock for one of them and a high NCAA Tourney every year after having a dominant regular season record. It hasn't happened. The AAC matchups are also not 'sexy' matchups like the old Big East could offer and that has really impacted attendance.

Reaction Score
I am very confident that we will be a top program again but I think there will always be many who would prefer a repeat of the 2005-2006 season than the 2013-2014 season. I would prefer the latter.

Let me ask you this: let's say in 2019 we have a season that, going into the Tournament, resembles 2006. Do you think that this season is more likely to result in a championship than a season that, going into the Tournament, resembles 2014?

You're saying "I would rather have championships than strong regular seasons". Nobody is disagreeing.

The other side of the argument is saying "in the future, strong regular seasons are more likely to lead to championships than mediocre regular seasons". I hope you wouldn't disagree with that.

The concern is that, under KO, mediocre regular seasons have been the norm.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Who wouldn't.
That's an unreal expectation even for Kentucky or Duke. If that is what it takes to satisfy you it must be miserable to be a fan even in good years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So why aren't you doing something about it? Maybe you can get up a petitiion or a strongly worded letter.

C

Chief00

I know the Jeff Jacobs's of the world love it - but no more ships to senior walkons with 4.0's - use the ships on players even if they have marginal grades.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I know the Jeff Jacobs's of the world love it - but no more ships to senior walkons with 4.0's - use the ships on players even if they have marginal grades.
Good grief chief this bad even for you. The apr is part of this current mess. You correctly pointed out the Emmert component. Stick with that. The ramifications are still haunting the program.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Considering their incredible consistency & B12 dominance, it's hard to believe. I would be pissed as a KU fan. Lots of missed opportunities.
Let's just say we rewind the clock five years and KO had five season like Kansas only to not get an NC. Which of the posters do you think would be the most vocal about removing KO in that scenario?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom