No Cowboys 8-1 Thread ? | The Boneyard

No Cowboys 8-1 Thread ?

Reaction Score
Certainly enjoying Dak and Zeke setting the table for years of goodness to come!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hate them. But as with the Yankees, the sport is more entertaining when they are good.

I see lots of people whining about Romo possibly playing elsewhere next year. Seriously? Montana...ok I get that. Manning, yeah, I get that. Maybe even Brett Favre. But Tony Romo? He's not that high on the list of great Cowboys QBs and hasn't even made a trip to the Superbowl.

If he's got enough in the tank, I am sure Cleveland or SF would be glad to have him.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm sad that Tony is going to be somewhere else next year. He wore his heart on his sleeve and played through some serious injuries during his time here. Hope we can win a ring this year and he can contribute at some point.

Reaction Score
Think Zeke is nasty and Dak is good too, although they do have by far the best line in front of them in football and that helps. They're really good now.

Reaction Score
Hate them. But as with the Yankees, the sport is more entertaining when they are good.

I see lots of people whining about Romo possibly playing elsewhere next year. Seriously? Montana...ok I get that. Manning, yeah, I get that. Maybe even Brett Favre. But Tony Romo? He's not that high on the list of great Cowboys QBs and hasn't even made a trip to the Superbowl.

If he's got enough in the tank, I am sure Cleveland or SF would be glad to have him.
People outside Dallas typically don't give Romo anywhere near the credit he deserves. It may be his "ceiling", but he had a spectacular year in 2014. He could certainly do that for Denver, for instance.

Not sure who is making the lists, but pretty sure Romo owns virtually every passing record in the book for the Cowboys - Yards, TD, Adjusted Yards per attempt, lowest INT%, QB rating, etc. I'm not going to argue that Romo is better than Aikman or Staubach, but he's far better than he gets credit for.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
People outside Dallas typically don't give Romo anywhere near the credit he deserves. It may be his "ceiling", but he had a spectacular year in 2014. He could certainly do that for Denver, for instance.

Not sure who is making the lists, but pretty sure Romo owns virtually every passing record in the book for the Cowboys - Yards, TD, Adjusted Yards per attempt, lowest INT%, QB rating, etc. I'm not going to argue that Romo is better than Aikman or Staubach, but he's far better than he gets credit for.

Yeah, if Denver had Romo they'd be the #1 seed and favorites in the AFC right now.

Reaction Score
Cowboys got away with a blow to the head of course the Vikes screwed themselves with the fumble on the kickoff, Vikings are fading.

Reaction Score
Cowboys got away with a blow to the head of course the Vikes screwed themselves with the fumble on the kickoff, Vikings are fading.
Eh. They were on the receiving end of some questionable calls themselves. The thing I hate is when people get stuck on a play like that. Sure, technically it was a violation of the rule and should have been a penalty. But the fact is, it had no impact on the play at all. The vikings and Bradford would simply have been bailed out and given another attempt from the 3.5 yard line. Still not close to a guarantee that they get the 2 points and the tie.

Furthermore, I hate those kind of "non-intent" penalties. The whole idea is to penalize the defense and disincentive them from dirty hits on the QB. But you can't disincentivize inadvertent plays. You just can't. The Cowboys got called for another one earlier in this game and I think one on Thanksgiving. A flimsy hit to the upper body / head area because the QB and defender were both moving and there was no way to prevent it. But, because of the random outcome of the play, penalty. Just stupid.

Reaction Score
Con: Dallas lost last night and were swept by the Giants.

Pro: Since the Giants won, they probably won't accuse the Cowboys of cheating. You've got to look for the silver lining.

Reaction Score
Con: Dallas lost last night and were swept by the Giants.

Pro: Since the Giants won, they probably won't accuse the Cowboys of cheating. You've got to look for the silver lining.

I guess you have to look for a silver lining if you get swept, wouldn't know?

Any murderers or rapists available for Jerry to pick up on waivers?

Reaction Score
Yeah, if Denver had Romo they'd be the #1 seed and favorites in the AFC right now.

Romo couldn't stay healthy behind the best offensive line in football. He'd be dead behind Denvers offensive line, which is one of the worst.

Reaction Score
I guess you have to look for a silver lining if you get swept, wouldn't know?

Any murderers or rapists available for Jerry to pick up on waivers?
I wouldn't get overly confident. If there is a rematch it will be in Dallas and it won't be Elliot and Prescott's first game in the NFL. Not to mention a great deal of defensive talent will be available in that game that was unavailable in at least one, if not both of the previous games.

And recall, the Giants won that game by 1 point.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't get overly confident. If there is a rematch it will be in Dallas and it won't be Elliot and Prescott's first game in the NFL. Not to mention a great deal of defensive talent will be available in that game that was unavailable in at least one, if not both of the previous games.

And recall, the Giants won that game by 1 point.

How did they do in The Meadowlands? It wasn't their first game then either? Just saying';)....no one is overly confident as a Giants fan I promise but you guys do not want to see them either.

Reaction Score
How did they do in The Meadowlands? It wasn't their first game then either? Just saying';)....no one is overly confident as a Giants fan I promise but you guys do not want to see them either.
Yeah, home field makes a big difference. And they still only lost by 3. You never want to see a division rival in the playoffs. That's a given.

Reaction Score
Yeah, home field makes a big difference. And they still only lost by 3. You never want to see a division rival in the playoffs. That's a given.

And you don't want to have to beat a team 3X in a year either. But the GMen have a long way to go! Hope we get a chance that will be fun in itself.

Reaction Score
And you don't want to have to beat a team 3X in a year either. But the GMen have a long way to go! Hope we get a chance that will be fun in itself.
Indeed. Beating a red hot Green Bay team on the road is no small feat.

Reaction Score
Not so fast my friend
13 of the last 20 times teams have met for the third time, the team that won twice previously won again

Reaction Score
Not so fast my friend
13 of the last 20 times teams have met for the third time, the team that won twice previously won again
I'd be curious about the location of those games. I doubt it happens very often that the team having lost twice before would be hosting the third game.

Reaction Score
Not so fast my friend

Shhhhhhhh...I was trying to, oh well forget it now!

Reaction Score
Skip Bayless is getting excuses on Monday all lined up.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cowboys lost, but that was a great year.

They lose a franchise quarterback and find another one. They have a great OL, the best young back in football and a decent defense.

They need some pass rush help and they have to sort out the Romo deal, but they're about as well positioned as any team in football right now.

Reaction Score
Cowboys lost, but that was a great year.

They lose a franchise quarterback and find another one. They have a great OL, the best young back in football and a decent defense.

They need some pass rush help and they have to sort out the Romo deal, but they're about as well positioned as any team in football right now.
They also has the 26th ranked pass defense and their #1 corner and starting SS are FAs. 3 of their starting OL are becoming FAs over the next two years. Oh and they are 5 million over the cap for 2017 already.

There is not a team in the NFL in a worse position with the cap over the next two years.

Reaction Score
20 years without an NFC title game appearance, only Washington and Detroit have longer droughts.

Cowboy fans can now focus on the Warriors and Duke and get ready for Yankees spring training.
So witty. Lots of frontrunners were watching on satellite when the 1989 team won it's lone game against Washington. But, hey, if it makes you feel super duper smart to think all Cowboy fans are frontrunners, run with it Dr. Einstein.

Reaction Score
They also has the 26th ranked pass defense and their #1 corner and starting SS are FAs. 3 of their starting OL are becoming FAs over the next two years. Oh and they are 5 million over the cap for 2017 already.

There is not a team in the NFL in a worse position with the cap over the next two years.
LOL!!! A cowboys hater that is also an expert on the Cowboys. Oh, now that is precious.

I can only assume that when you talk about the Cowboys #1 safety and #1 CB, you're talking about Mo Claiborne and Barry Church. I further have to assume that you think it's some kind of conundrum they face here. Byron Jones is actually their #1 safety, and JJ Wilcox actually was more of a force at safety than Church. Claiborne still can't stay healthy for more than 10 minutes, so it's entirely unlikely he either leaves via FA, or if he does, that he can't be replaced with Anthony Brown, who did about as well as Claiborne as a rookie 6th rounder.

Further, their pass defense was stinky for a variety of reasons, including the lack of much of a pass rush, and the fact that they played with the lead most of the time which forced opposing teams to throw the ball a lot.

The OL ? Tyron Smith is locked up long term with a very cap friendly, yet restructurable contract. As is Travis Frederick. It's virtually guaranteed they'll extend Zack Martin this offseason. In case you missed it, those 3 are All Pro and the oldest of which just turned 26.

The biggest cap issue they face is Tony Romo, who is also a major asset when he is inevitably traded this year. So with him traded - presumably designated post 6/1 - they add picks / players and reduce / eliminate their cap issue.

Yeah, Cowboy fans are definitely going to lose sleep over all that.

And Jaylon Smith will be a major force at LB next year as well. They may have to replace their #2 (really #3) WR, but other than that, they can focus the entire draft on the defense. And keep in mind they had the best draft in the NFL in 2016, picking up 4 starters, one each in rounds 1, 3, 4, and 6.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom