NJ Recruting | The Boneyard

NJ Recruting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Caught this in the local paper here in NJ today.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...on-ledger-50-breaks-down-states-top-recruits/

Considering how good NJ HS football is today (maybe 4th best recruiting ground after FL, TX and CA), I was not surprised to see how well Michigan and ND do in state as they always have done so and Rutgers has elevated itself so it attracts kids who want to play local now. Syracuse appears to be making a come-back while Penn State is not as prevalent as they used to be. What I am worried about is out of the Top 100, not a single recruit has committed to UConn. If UConn wants to be successful, I would imagine that NJ would be a priority?

Reaction Score
Lamont Bradford #34 has committed to UCONN. Appears to be a very good pick up for or new coach next year.

Reaction Score
Lamont Bradford #34 has committed to UCONN. Appears to be a very good pick up for or new coach next year.

... and number #27 Kevin Wilkins is high on UConn. (http://the-boneyard.com/threads/kevin-wilkins-og.43632/)

New Jersey has always been a priority for UConn (as well as everyone else). We had our fair share of high level talent from NJ - Donald Brown for one.

Reaction Score
Caught this in the local paper here in NJ today.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...on-ledger-50-breaks-down-states-top-recruits/

Considering how good NJ HS football is today (maybe 4th best recruiting ground after FL, TX and CA), I was not surprised to see how well Michigan and ND do in state as they always have done so and Rutgers has elevated itself so it attracts kids who want to play local now. Syracuse appears to be making a come-back while Penn State is not as prevalent as they used to be. What I am worried about is out of the Top 100, not a single recruit has committed to UConn. If UConn wants to be successful, I would imagine that NJ would be a priority?

Of all the listed "uncommitted" - only #15 Holuba, #16 Izzo, #41 Washington, #40Stevens, #47 Allen (no offers) and #49 Shanley don't have UConn offers.

Reaction Score
... and number #27 Kevin Wilkins is high on UConn. (http://the-boneyard.com/threads/kevin-wilkins-og.43632/)

New Jersey has always been a priority for UConn (as well as everyone else). We had our fair share of high level talent from NJ - Donald Brown for one.

Thanks. I was just reading the ‘commitments.’ The B1G question I know locally in NJ is if Rutgers addition to the B1G will make Rutgers more attractive to local 4/5 star recruits or just easier for Michigan and Ohio State to recruit in NJ.
Also noted that BC has a decent showing, too.
Brown I believe was only a 2/3 star that slipped under the radar. UConn needs more 2/4 star recruits (and wins) to gain attention.

Reaction Score
Another consequence of not being in a P5 conference - you think other schools are using that against us? Conversely, if you were a top recruit, why would you opt to play in the American? If we get 2-3 a year, that will be a win. Then again, 2, 3, or 4 stars, we simply need to get poduction on the field.

Reaction Score

'05 was best class out nj; Brown, Dixon, Pommells, Dorcelus, LaMagdelaine. thought we were on our way after that but haven't had the amount get out of there since.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
'05 was best class out nj; Brown, Dixon, Pommells, Dorcelus, LaMagdelaine. thought we were on our way after that but haven't had the amount get out of there since.

I think the real shame was that Pommells and Dorcelus never materialized. I remember thinking that Pommells was perhaps the biggest recruit that year, but as it turns out, Brown and Dixon weren't too bad... ;)

Reaction Score
Thanks. I was just reading the ‘commitments.’ The B1G question I know locally in NJ is if Rutgers addition to the B1G will make Rutgers more attractive to local 4/5 star recruits or just easier for Michigan and Ohio State to recruit in NJ.
Also noted that BC has a decent showing, too.
Brown I believe was only a 2/3 star that slipped under the radar. UConn needs more 2/4 star recruits (and wins) to gain attention.

Judging by the 2014 class the answer is a YES to both questions. Rutgers is pulling in more 3* and 4* than they have in the past but Ohio State and Michigan are pretty much getting the targets they want from that state as well. The main loser here seems to be some of the Southern ACC schools that used to target NJ in the past. UNC so far has offered 9 NJ kids and pulled in none of them, for example...losing 3 of them to Rutgers. If this was a few years ago they probably would've gotten a few commitments out of that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom