NJ LB Jazzmar Clax | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NJ LB Jazzmar Clax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the more you guys just bs around and not enjoy stuff, the less ppl that are going to stick around on here and enjoy talking about uconn football. i always thought the goal was to increase the fanbase and be excited about new members here that are also husky fans like us, the more the better right? you wonder why other fanbases laugh at this group? who cares wtf uptick means to you BL(sorry to make you a example but...) and everyone is free to his/her opinion just like i'm sure some of you dont like what i ahve to say. all the small ball talk around here just quietly keeps ppl away from posting. this board was really lacking anything uconn football. so i'm trying to post most of the stuff i used to look up/read about recruit wise and i see several others have joined in and are enjoying it also. i hope more join in and it gets to be a normal thing around here. its not hard to do and if your a fan of that type of stuff its enjoyable. if you look at any other board, there are 100's of ppl doing this and they all enjoy it togther as a fanbase on that board. i know this fanbase of hardcore ppl that would be on a site like this is still small and developing but lets make it a little more easy for ppl to feel that they should join instead of being so dam tuff on ppl that have different opinions or dont speak the message board lingo right away. there are many lurkers out there that im sure just watch some of these threads and go wtf. end rant, sorry.

oh and all the guy was saying was that this program was on the rise but instead we went the RE route and blah blah. just dumb stuff...

Keep it up kid. Your passionate about uconn football, want to see it grow and get better, me too, stoke the fire.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I know I get sucked into recruiting news like everyone else. But the truth is, and I think we all know it, that some guys never show up on campus, some never see the field, some transfer for what ever reason, and UConn has had a few walk-ons out-perform the scholarship studs. We just have zero idea how a high school kid will turn out in a major sport. Watching recruiting is probably one of the least productive idle time activities, but damned if I don't do it anyway. I think it's that I'm addicted to the BY, otherwise I wouldn't know squat about who they are recruiting and probably wouldn't care to find out. Just win, baby, win.

ETA: A down year doesn't mean that in general the program isn't "up-ticking" or that it isn't up to snuff either. I still say that PP was left with very little in the skill positions, so he gets more time from me. In the meantime, we are not Alabama or even Michigan State or BYU. And it's possible that we might never be all that close to being an Alabama.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
What does the word uptick mean?

That we are in a better position.

We've gone from a guy who lost 5 games in his best season and never cracked the top 35 to a guy who has multiple top 10 finishes.

We've completed our first season with a a new coach and only lost two more games despite not having a QB. Some coaches really suck in their first year, you know, lose all but two games. I think you can clearly say that our new coach is better in year one than our old coach was in his new year one.

So, past history and recent history indicate we have upgraded at coach.

Uptick.

Reaction Score
There's an old saying, well, question really, about evaluating anything. It goes...

Is the arrow pointing up, down, or level?

If you're going to be black and white, and look at the total of wins from 2010 to 2011. Arrow clearly pointing down. Nothing to discuss.

If you're going to open up the scope a bit, and look at the program in general, there's a lot of discussion and a whole lot of reasons to see an arrow that's pointing up.

If you look at the past few years prior to 2010, it's difficult to to come to any other conclusion other than the arrow was leveled out.

It's easy to decide what you need to do with an arrow that's pointing down, or pointing up. You either decide to keep it in that direction, or you need to change something.

The difficult thing, is what to do with an arrow that's pointing level. The question at that point becomes - is that level the arrow is at good enough? For some the answer was yes...for some, the answer was no. I was a no.

Much harder to change things about an arrow that's level over time. Internally and externally.

The ability to recognize the need for change, was not our former coach's strength. Ironically, the guy's greatest strenght - was also his inability to deviate from a chosen course of action.

Arrow is definitely pointing up, for me - in the big picture in late january 2012.

Reaction Score
I guess when you only focus on that one word you can have it serve whatever purpose you want now can't you. When you actually read the statement in it's full context you would he was referring to the recruiting. The whole conversation leading to that statement was centered around the recruits. The statement he made had absolutley nothing to do with our record from the past two seasons.

I believe the programs on an uptick as well; we had an expected set back year, the coaches are bringing in a different type of recruit than we have had in the past (I don't think even you could dispute that), and that causes me to be a bit optimistic given the changes to the schemes we saw in year one without one player that was recruited for these systems. Can that opinion change? Sure it can! If the team comes out in the spring game and demonstrates the ineptitude they did last year, mine will change a little. But I will still be optimistic with what appears on paper to be the best freshman class in our D-1 history coming that we are on the uptick as a program. While we may not be winning many of the battles I feel that at least we are in the fight for them now. More talented players will breed more talented players for the program, in other words talent likes to be around talent.

I don't read it that way. I have stated before, and fully believe, that this class is probably a step up from a typical class under the prior regime.

Reaction Score
Neptune NJ LB Jazzmar Clax is down to UConn and Rutgers according to a tweet by Mike Stump owner if All Shore Media from NJ(retweeted by Mike Grant). He will visit either UConn or Rutgers this weekend and may announce on signing day or after. Looks like he had interest/offers from Minnesota, Maryland and Arizona St and was a soft verbal to the Gophers at ine time from what U found on a Maryland board discussion about him.
ESPN, Rivals, 247Sports 3 star
5-11 220 lbs
Has A fair amount of offers.
Ok, what is real deal with him? I've seen him listed from 5'11 to 6'3, and 200 to 235, and many combinations in between. Does anyone really know?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"uconnfan68, "
Ok, what is real deal with him? I've seen him listed from 5'11 to 6'3, and 200 to 235, and many combinations in between. Does anyone really know?"

Well it depends. Weighed before or after Thanksgiving dinner? Was he standing on a stool. Was his brother standing in for him? These things all make a difference.

Reaction Score
I have no idea which way the arrow is pointing.

I was very displeased with job that Pasqualoni did in 2011. He talked a good game, then made poor decision after poor decision. He lost numerous winnable games. He set back our recruiting by delivering a 5-7 season (coming off a BCS Bowl) when there was potential for much better.

P. won't be judged by 2011. But if he has another stinker in 2012, he will be judged harshly. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. This is the second year in the system. There should be more reacting and less thinking. I believe this team is much more talented than they showed last year on the field. But P.Has t translate that to wins. If he does that the opportunity for a significant uptick will be in sight.

Reaction Score
I was unimpressed with Pasqualoni this year as well. Blaming Edsall for the cupboard being bare at the skill positions is less than truthful.

Todman left early, Frey left with a year of eligibility, Endres couldn't stop smoking weed, Michael Smith decided homework was unimportant, Shoemate got hurt, and I think we lost another WR for the year due to injury (Generrett?).

We weren't loaded, but blaming Edsall for that is just lying to yourself.

Reactions: #2

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Pal, I totally don't get why you think UConn had the goods last year. While I did not like the 3 QB rotation used at the beginning of the year, the fact is, that UConn ultimately lost those early games on D as well as some of the later games where we scored enough to win. They led Vandy, ISU and WMU in te 4th quarter and I severely doubt that any one of those pea green QBs would have changed the O significantly. Those games were the difference between last year's record and the BCS year. Besides, the BSC team was hardly a magnificent machine, so the drop off wasn't nearly as drastic as you seem to think it was, especially given a ton of major differences in the O backfield, the LBs and the D backfield - a very green group over all. You are also fixated on what you see as bad recruiting without ever accepting the fact that he got in on kids very late compared to the competition and still managed a class at least equal to most anything RE ever did. Is PP the ultimate perfect coach or recruiter for a program like UConn's which aspires to be a good team year after year? Time will tell. But after one year with a weaker or at least far less experienced squad and a truncated recruiting access compared to the competition, geez, the whining is incessant. And we are no great shakes a lot better than RU to where New Jersey kids will look at us versus them as that much better. For the good of the Big East so long as UConn is a member, it would not be a bad thing for RU to be a very good program. I'd have much more concern about CT kids seeing them as a better alternative to us and then hope he can get the CT kids who are deciding us vs. PSU, Iowa, Wis or wherever w see as better than us now more and more decide to stay home.

Reaction Score
I was unimpressed with Pasqualoni this year as well. Blaming Edsall for the cupboard being bare at the skill positions is less than truthful.

Todman left early, Frey left with a year of eligibility, Endres couldn't stop smoking weed, Michael Smith decided homework was unimportant, Shoemate got hurt, and I think we lost another WR for the year due to injury (Generrett?).

It's called DEPTH man. If you don't have it and your thin at the skill positions...that is exactly what can happen to you when you lose a few guys for whatever reason! ...and YES...creating depth is a coach's responsibility!!

As a side note...who knows what J. Todman would have done if he had known that Randy wasn't coming back. For Edsall to put Todman on the spot to announce his future plans to his teammates PRIOR to Edsall doing the same several hours later...was just plain wrong! How much of a role did Edsall play in convincing Todman that he should leave the program and go pro, when Edsall knew he was leaving the program too?

Reaction Score
It's called DEPTH man. If you don't have it and your thin at the skill positions...that is exactly what can happen to you when you lose a few guys for whatever reason! ...and YES...creating depth is a coach's responsibility!!

As a side note...who knows what J. Todman would have done if he had known that Randy wasn't coming back. For Edsall to put Todman on the spot to announce his future plans to his teammates PRIOR to Edsall doing the same several hours later...was just plain wrong! How much of a role did Edsall play in convincing Todman that he should leave the program and go pro, when Edsall knew he was leaving the program too?

We had depth, but (I realize this may come as a surprise to you) when you lose 5 or 6+ upperclassmen who start or play significant roles all on one side of the ball, you're going to see a negative impact on the field.

That's as true for the NY Giants and NE Patriots as it is for the UConn Huskies.

Reaction Score

The only inquiry worth making was whether the cupboard was in fact bare. At the WR and RB positions, the answer was yes. Why that was the case is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
I believe P is a better salesman than Edsall. But Coach P should be doing a better job than Edsall.

P can point to two big east trophies, 5 bowl trips, a BCS trip, and brand new facilities.

Edsall had to prove all of that could be accomplished, and now P gets to sell it to the recruits.

The kids now looking at college have seen the success we've had, the ones 4 and 5 years ago had no reason to buy into to UConn in a BCS bowl.

Reaction Score
The only inquiry worth making was whether the cupboard was in fact bare. At the WR and RB positions, the answer was yes. Why that was the case is irrelevant.
Ignorance is bliss.

Reaction Score
We had depth, but (I realize this may come as a surprise to you) when you lose 5 or 6+ upperclassmen who start or play significant roles all on one side of the ball, you're going to see a negative impact on the field.

That's as true for the NY Giants and NE Patriots as it is for the UConn Huskies.

It's NO surprise to me, nor should it have been to Edsall & Co.! But apparently... it was! Also, losing one WR should not have impacted the program as it did UC's.

Furthermore, I didn't mention the Linebackers. We lost 2/3's of our starters there due to matriculation. Was THAT a surprise?? Had the HC built up some quality depth there earlier, last year would not have been so challenging for the LB crew.

Reaction Score
Pal, I totally don't get why you think UConn had the goods last year. While I did not like the 3 QB rotation used at the beginning of the year, the fact is, that UConn ultimately lost those early games on D as well as some of the later games where we scored enough to win. They led Vandy, ISU and WMU in te 4th quarter and I severely doubt that any one of those pea green QBs would have changed the O significantly. Those games were the difference between last year's record and the BCS year. Besides, the BSC team was hardly a magnificent machine, so the drop off wasn't nearly as drastic as you seem to think it was, especially given a ton of major differences in the O backfield, the LBs and the D backfield - a very green group over all. You are also fixated on what you see as bad recruiting without ever accepting the fact that he got in on kids very late compared to the competition and still managed a class at least equal to most anything RE ever did. Is PP the ultimate perfect coach or recruiter for a program like UConn's which aspires to be a good team year after year? Time will tell. But after one year with a weaker or at least far less experienced squad and a truncated recruiting access compared to the competition, geez, the whining is incessant. And we are no great shakes a lot better than RU to where New Jersey kids will look at us versus them as that much better. For the good of the Big East so long as UConn is a member, it would not be a bad thing for RU to be a very good program. I'd have much more concern about CT kids seeing them as a better alternative to us and then hope he can get the CT kids who are deciding us vs. PSU, Iowa, Wis or wherever w see as better than us now more and more decide to stay home.

I actually think the offense let them down in those games, especially against ISU. Do you remember the 3 INT's in the first quarter all in great field position that offense turned into 3 and only 3 points? Had similar occurrence against Vandy. And Western Michigan had a great chance to win that one too. The defense played well at times, and struggled when they got tired as expected. That is no surprise. The offense kept the defense on the field for far too long in most games which led to " the defense losing the games." The offense last year was pathetic, and it was a big reason why the team struggled on defense IMO. This is why we have seen so many LB's brought in in this recruiting class. They need depth and they need to stay fresh. 2012 class also has a number of Safeties and DB's hoping to add another in Morgan, to increase depth here as well. The defense against the pass surely wasn't the best, but I don't think it was the defense that lost those games. The offense didn't help either.

Reaction Score
It's NO surprise to me, nor should it have been to Edsall & Co.! But apparently... it was! Also, losing one WR should not have impacted the program as it did UC's.

Furthermore, I didn't mention the Linebackers. We lost 2/3's of our starters there due to matriculation. Was THAT a surprise?? Had the HC built up some quality depth there earlier, last year would not have been so challenging for the LB crew.

I hope you don't expect to be taken seriously with this post.

Reaction Score
Don't you love posts that consists of 1,000 words in one paragraph that is quoted and then the reply is a 750 word, one paragraph post?

I never read either but they are fun to look at.

Reaction Score
I have no idea which way the arrow is pointing.

I was very displeased with job that Pasqualoni did in 2011. He talked a good game, then made poor decision after poor decision. He lost numerous winnable games. He set back our recruiting by delivering a 5-7 season (coming off a BCS Bowl) when there was potential for much better.

P. won't be judged by 2011. But if he has another stinker in 2012, he will be judged harshly. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. This is the second year in the system. There should be more reacting and less thinking. I believe this team is much more talented than they showed last year on the field. But P.Has t translate that to wins. If he does that the opportunity for a significant uptick will be in sight.

I swear, some people see a sunny day and good things to come and just like piss all over it. If you can't see that tomorrow is a day that clearly points to a program with the arrow pointing up, I suggest you find something else to follow.

Reaction Score
I swear, some people see a sunny day and good things to come and just like piss all over it. If you can't see that tomorrow is a day that clearly points to a program with the arrow pointing up, I suggest you find something else to follow.

What I think Palatine is trying to say is maybe PP is getting way to much credit to quickly. He had some head scratching moments this year that hopefully won't be repeated.

On paper he has a good looking group of recruits that could be special in a few years.

No one knows if his all NFL approach will work at the college level, or at least at UConn.

I for one hope it does. But let's not get too excited over 2* players who are almost 3* as posted in another thread. Not sure he was serious ...sure hope he wasn't.

I think we have a shot to be good very soon (probably the 2013) but PP has some work to do. Let's not rush to judgement in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom