Nicely done by the bench today!! | The Boneyard

Nicely done by the bench today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Chong, Lou, and Collier all in double figures for scoring! Nice to see Lou go 2-4 from downtown. Collier is fierce, and so great to see Chong contributing as well. Even Courtney got into the act with 6 points, 2 assists, and 2 boards!!!

Reaction Score
Today the future arrived in the form of the lady from CA. Lou not only got a few to drop, but she defended, made a steal, brought the ball up, made a few great passes. She is a superb athlete: fast, elegant, smart. Sounds a bit like someone else . . . Kudos, too, to Saniya and to Napheesa. Now Geno has the pleasant job of figuring out what to do with Butler. She will surely come off the bench next week, subbing for Morgan and Stewart. Because she isn't completely healed, she may get only a little court time. Geno knows best.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Geno complimented the bench after the game and mentioned them all...even Courtney.

Actually Chong looked better than Kia today who still is not the player who destroyed the UConn superstars this summer.
Is it possible that she has sort of morphed back into a subservient role? Too bad if true.
Lou found big chunks of her game today, Geno noted her aggressiveness.
Chong showed her speed, her smarts, shot, and better D
For all the good Morgan has done and its been a lot, she's missed a whole lot of semi-easy shots this season.

In Deems Taylor's essay, The Monster, he describes a horrible, human being who does just awful things indiscriminately to friends and foes. And at the end he says it doesn't matter, because the monster was Richard Wagner and most of his transgressions pale to his accomplishments.

It's the same with our team...I may pick a bit, but it really doesn't much matter, a 40-point win against what may very well turn out to be a top-25, even 15 team.

The problem for our opponents and its a serious one is that UConn has so many weapons.
Napheesa is on her way to becoming a monster, speaking of monsters.
If Gabby didn't have her customary double-double. she still created mayhem when she was in.

Stewie was unworldly, Mo did lots of good things
The D was fine...against a very strong offensive team that runs beautiful sets.

Perhaps the biggest thing, mentioned on air, really apparent, is the UConn ability to play at extraordinary pace.
One had the feeling that even on their offensive possessions, the Nebraska kids were tiring, not only on D.. mental exhaustion as well as physical being apparent.

This may be a team for the ages. Is it possible that our second team is top 10?

Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson--has come of age!! She rebounded, she played defense, she brought the ball up the floor, she was being vocal, she attacked the basket and looked for the ball crossing the key, made a good post move against defense---and nailed 2 for 2 very pretty 3 Ball shots. 2 for 2 on Foul shots. Set up and took a charge. Katie Lou was EVERYWHERE...
Yep---you are right, I LIKE KATIE LOU~~~\
Napheesa Collier did not play like a Freshman. The Confidence Geno has in his FRESHMEN isn't squandered time. Chong today proved she isn't going away and is a force to deal with when Jefferson sits. Liked her 3's and her drives to the basket, good D too. Ekmark nailed a three and played very good D. Speaking of Gabby, Jefferson,Tuck, Stewie as great players is just plain redundant!!! But I just did--didn't I???
Felt bad for Boykin and Natalie--you could see how much they wanted to be in that game. It shall happen soon....

Reaction Score
Geno complimented the bench after the game and mentioned them all...even Courtney.

Actually Chong looked better than Kia today who still is not the player who destroyed the UConn superstars this summer.
Is it possible that she has sort of morphed back into a subservient role? Too bad if true.
Lou found big chinks of her game today, Geno noted her aggressiveness.
Chong showed her speed, her shot, and better D
For all the good Morgan has done and its been a lot, she's missed a whole lot of semi-easy shots this season.

In Deems Taylor's essay, The Monster, he describes a horrible, human being who does just awful things indiscriminately to friends and foes. And at the end he says it doesn't matter, because the monster was Richard Wagner and most of his transgressions pale to his accomplishments.

It's the same with our team...I may pick a bit, but it really doesn't much matter in what may very well turn out to be a top-25, even 15 team.

The problem for our opponents and its a serious one is that UConn has so many weapons.
If Gabby didn't have her customary double-double. she still created mayhem when she was in.

Perhaps the biggest thing, mentioned on air, really apparent, is the UConn ability to play at extraordinary pace.
One had the feeling that even on their offensive possessions, they were tiring, not only on D.. mental exhaustion as well as physical being apparent.

Taylors ESSAY be darned---NOTHING really matters --you live you work you die. What or how you do it matters little to the universe.
Sounds morbid--few people have actually changed history or man kind. All this is true. Argue it any way you want--
However--on a daily basis --you personally will be happier and have accomplished some thing if you make just a few of your animal or human neighbors (world wide) lives better. By actions, words and deeds. Have you hugged a Vet today???
Kia was not our Kia today. Stupid offensive foul. Attacked the basket well. Played defense well. Missed a couple of 3's. A 30 point performance in the Pan Am games does not always translate into 30 points every game in the NCAA's.
Katie Lou has found herself--was a monster in this game. As was Collier--a lot to love with that kid.
Uconn does not have a SECOND TEAM---so the answer is NO. In every game so far this year Geno has used his bench early and often--these are Subs--not seconds'..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kia appears to be still in the physical mind set of the Pan Am games where short of a right uppercut, nothing was being called. She has to find that same aggressiveness without quite such a physical approach on the floor.

Best play by Lou today, and she had many good plays was the rebound she got when Nebraska missed the breakaway lay-up. She and Chong were the only Uconn players across mid-court and it could have been very easy for Lou to assume a basket and just jog back - she didn't.

Reaction Score

Lou found big chunks of her game today, Geno noted her aggressiveness.
Chong showed her speed, her smarts, shot, and better D

It's the same with our team...I may pick a bit, but it really doesn't much matter, a 40-point win against what may very well turn out to be a top-25, even 15 team.

One had the feeling that even on their offensive possessions, the Nebraska kids were tiring, not only on D.. mental exhaustion as well as physical being apparent.

I speculated before the season began whether or not UConn could be divided into two competitive teams. If everyone expands her game, maybe we can revisit this idea sooner rather than later. A superlative group of young ladies.

Reaction Score
I speculated before the season began whether or not UConn could be divided into two competitive teams. If everyone expands her game, maybe we can revisit this idea sooner rather than later. A superlative group of young ladies.
If you speculation is a theory, not fact type---If it were possible for Geno to divide his team into two sections--possibly, just possibly have the talent, if possible, to play each other in the FF.
But in practical fact--Geno has a starting 5 (a bit of mix or match at times) and a bench. He, to his credit this year, uses his players in multiple combinations going to the end of his bench often and with skill. Notice how often he has been sitting Stewie and Jefferson???

Reaction Score
If you speculation is a theory, not fact type---If it were possible for Geno to divide his team into two sections--possibly, just possibly have the talent, if possible, to play each other in the FF.
But in practical fact--Geno has a starting 5 (a bit of mix or match at times) and a bench. He, to his credit this year, uses his players in multiple combinations going to the end of his bench often and with skill. Notice how often he has been sitting Stewie and Jefferson???

I was responding to someone else's mention of the Huskies having enough outstanding players to make two good teams. I'm sure you've heard the expression "Break Up the Yankees!" It happens when teams get too good. That's a compliment. Of course, with Butler coming back next game, DJ sometime in the future, the maturation of the freshmen, Saniya's health enabling her to play more, Geno WILL have his hands full finding playing time for everyone . . . He'll figure it out.

Reaction Score
Counting today, UConn will play 4 games in 8 days including two on the road.

I will be interested to see if the two freshmen are at all affected by the hectic
schedule and travel.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
. . . He'll figure it out.

I was one of the worry-warts on tis issue
But now, I believe you're right.
Heard in the corridor:

"Stewie...you only get 12 shots (down from 15), so make the most of them."
"Mo, after 3 steals, You're sitting."
"Lou, if you start hitting those 3's, you're gonna warm the bench."
"Morgan, if you miss more than 2 chipies, Collier is coming in.
"Kia, any more of those foolhardy charges and I'm sending you to Edmonton for a vacation with your brother".
"Gabby, it's a double-double or three fouls, whichever comes first."

"We've got to find a way for Ek, Chong, Butler, De Janne (remember her?) and the two formerly known as walk-ons, some playing time."

Who did I forget?

I'm sure everything will work out just fine. :)`

Reaction Score
I was responding to someone else's mention of the Huskies having enough outstanding players to make two good teams. I'm sure you've heard the expression "Break Up the Yankees!" It happens when teams get too good. That's a compliment. Of course, with Butler coming back next game, DJ sometime in the future, the maturation of the freshmen, Saniya's health enabling her to play more, Geno WILL have his hands full finding playing time for everyone . . . He'll figure it out.

I bend to your will. Never heard the term "Break up the Yankee's" . I've lived a shelter life--Mater didn't much care for Yankee's.
I understand now what you were saying--Isn't it terrible when an idiot (me) takes your wording out of context??
I'll will be loudly cheering for Natalie Butler when she finally get to use that UConn Uniform and her size--much like Katie Lou did today.

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled that the coaching staff has made it a team goal to shoot the "stop & pop" shots that Sue Bird made famous!
Everyone has tried it with most having huge success!
It'll also cut down on charges, when they pull up instead of forcing a layup!
The shot is unstoppable!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
More Geno genius. What helped Saniya and our under classmate shine late in the second half of the game was they practice together without the starters. Tonite the played like they practiced. No deferring to the starters. No sitting out by the 3 point line. They played like veterans and it is all because Geno had them play as a unit in practice. Pure genius to get them going. Now to take that to playing with the starters.

Reaction Score
More Geno genius. What helped Saniya and our under classmate shine late in the second half of the game was they practice together without the starters. Tonite the played like they practiced. No deferring to the starters. No sitting out by the 3 point line. They played like veterans and it is all because Geno had them play as a unit in practice. Pure genius to get them going. Now to take that to playing with the starters.

If you noticed throughout the last 3 games (I didn't see the first 2 exhibits) Geno has mixed and matched from his bench along with the Starters then without the Starters, subbing in and out Starters and resting Tuck, Stewie and Jefferson. Not because he had to, but because he could. Where did you read he was practicing the bench as a UNIT? (I'd like to read that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom