Nice Geno and Elena DD article | The Boneyard

Nice Geno and Elena DD article

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I didn't see this posted, sorry if it's a repeat.

While Auriemma may have been miffed at the outset at Delle Donne’s sudden change of heart, he has frequently since expressed his pleasure that her decision to go home was right for her. Ernie Delle Donne, Elena’s father, said Auriemma’s true initial concern was she may miss the chance to get the most out of her vast reservoir of ability.

“Even right when it all happened,” Delle Donne said of her UConn departure, “the fact that he let me out of my scholarship to go play volleyball at Delaware spoke volumes about the man. He just wanted me to be happy and enjoy my college experience. We always had a great understanding of each other and I respected him so much because of the way he handled the situation
.’’

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...ni-elena-geno-perfect-match-rebound/83500908/

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She will remain one of the great "what if's" for UCONN - along with the injuries to Sveta and Shea that ended their seasons and likely cost us the NC that year. EDD might have been the piece to get us over the top in 2011 and 2012...

Glad they have such a solid relationship, and I bet EDD is very happy with the path she chose - ultimately that's what's most important anyway...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno's complete lack of any grudge or ill will toward Elena is one of the reasons I just cannot believe that the exclusion of Candace Parker from the Olympic team has anything at all to do with any animus toward Tennessee or toward Parker herself. It just makes no sense.

Sorry to bring up that tortured topic again, but to me it says a lot about who Geno is, and who he isn't.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Could it be that Geno simply decided (and convinced the committee) that he would rather spend his time and energy this summer with Elena than with Candace Parker? They do play the same position and have similar games. It's true he could have picked both of them and left off Fowles or Catchings (and based on basketball talent and likely contribution he should have done that), but if it became apparent that Candace was simply understudying EDD and getting far fewer minutes, her disposition would not have been pleasant. He might have thought: better to have her be publicly disappointed once now (with him taking the heat for causing that) than having her display a 'tude all summer with possibly bad effects on team chemistry.

The Orangists on VolNation and elsewhere might say that Geno is nursing a grudge against Candace, but how is that consistent with his forgive-and-forget attitude toward EDD?

Reaction Score
I am loathe to attempt to address the Tenn haters with common sense and logic. That has rarely produced anything that looked like acceptance. But I know facts keep getting in the way. IIRC SEC and UT filed the complaint against UConn and Geno for I believe 7 or 8 improper recruiting issues. The NCAA found the staff phone call to ESPN to arrange a visit for Maya was a no-no. ALL OTHER allegations were dismissed. The stupidest one was that I believe Bird and Taurasi did something on campus even tho they were in Russia at the time. Tenn keeps saying Summitt had the goods on Geno but refused to use them to which I say BULL, if she had a nail for Geno's coffin she would have used it. Since then Tenn has become much less relevant in the pantheon of NCAAWCBB and therein lies the real issue. TN may have been able to accept their demise if not for the fact that the ladies on the ladders cutting down nets was UCONN, time after time after time.....

To the EDD question I wish all of Husky nation would just let it go. The kid was a hoops burnout (she later admitted) and while her closeness with her sister was important it was not the only reason. It's a ship that has long since sailed and it is time to move on. Get back to this year's team and where and what it may accomplish. END OF RANT

Reaction Score
I still don't get all the "fans" that are bitter about EDD. She clearly wasn't ready to leave the nest, and had a reason that the vast majority of kids don't have (the clip of her holding Lizzie is a heart-wrencher). It was right for everyone.

I do feel a little sorry for her, as it did stunt her basketball growth. She really didn't grow much at Delaware and just started playing to her potential last year; I think she would have hit that high during four years at UConn. BUT...there are clearly no significant regrets on her side. She's a few years behind, and she's making up for it.

I wonder what will come to mind when she looks down the bench at Stewie, Maya, Tina, Dee, and Sue. Interesting that on this team, Catchings (1) and Griner (1) are the only non-UConn players with NCAA championships (13).

Reaction Score
She will remain one of the great "what if's" for UCONN - along with the injuries to Sveta and Shea that ended their seasons and likely cost us the NC that year. EDD might have been the piece to get us over the top in 2011 and 2012...

Glad they have such a solid relationship, and I bet EDD is very happy with the path she chose - ultimately that's what's most important anyway...
\
While it does not speak well of me; I was more than miffed with the departure of EDD. To me she would win 4 NC's and all those great games. As time passed I realized she did the best for her and her family. I have corresponded with her mom and Edd may be bless with great talent--nothing could have blessed her more that her mom. I cannot speak to loudly or often about what a wonderful caring, loving and determined religious woman is and that is only the tip of her iceberg. I just love her. When I see EDD play my first thoughts are of her mom..

Reaction Score
Geno is OK with Elena; hopefully that will tell everyone else that they should move along to the next outrage.

Time wounds all heals!!
Right now EDD is an American Olympian--
An American who is representing all of us.
Should anything else define her??

Reaction Score
I am loathe to attempt to address the Tenn haters with common sense and logic. That has rarely produced anything that looked like acceptance. But I know facts keep getting in the way. IIRC SEC and UT filed the complaint against UConn and Geno for I believe 7 or 8 improper recruiting issues. The NCAA found the staff phone call to ESPN to arrange a visit for Maya was a no-no. ALL OTHER allegations were dismissed. The stupidest one was that I believe Bird and Taurasi did something on campus even tho they were in Russia at the time. Tenn keeps saying Summitt had the goods on Geno but refused to use them to which I say BULL, if she had a nail for Geno's coffin she would have used it. Since then Tenn has become much less relevant in the pantheon of NCAAWCBB and therein lies the real issue. TN may have been able to accept their demise if not for the fact that the ladies on the ladders cutting down nets was UCONN, time after time after time.....
I just get annoyed that Geno and UConn are accused of being cheaters. Pretty rich coming from fans of a team in the $EC. In the game's early days, Pat used to recruit players off of other teams and has more NCAA infractions, but yeah, Geno is the cheater because one of the athletic department staff members called ESPN to arrange a tour, likely unbeknownst to him at the time. Other than a few bitter Tennessee fans, there has never been even a whisper about UConn or Geno being cheaters or cutting corners to bring the top talent to Storrs. If the program was a dirty one, it would certainly be talked about more than just on Tennessee fan boards, and you know Emmert and Co. wouldn't waste any time coming up with some new ways to sanction for UConn. Instead of attacking a coach's or program's integrity, how about just saying you hate them because of their success?

Reaction Score
I just hope that she, along with all women, bring bug repellent with DEET to Rio. She already suffers from chronic Lime disease (did she pick that up on a recruiting visit?) and she doesn't need unnecessary exposure to Zika. Truthfully, I fear for all competitors. Is it possible to have summer games in Antartica?

Reaction Score
Could it be that Geno simply decided (and convinced the committee) that he would rather spend his time and energy this summer with Elena than with Candace Parker? They do play the same position and have similar games. It's true he could have picked both of them and left off Fowles or Catchings (and based on basketball talent and likely contribution he should have done that), but if it became apparent that Candace was simply understudying EDD and getting far fewer minutes, her disposition would not have been pleasant. He might have thought: better to have her be publicly disappointed once now (with him taking the heat for causing that) than having her display a 'tude all summer with possibly bad effects on team chemistry.

The Orangists on VolNation and elsewhere might say that Geno is nursing a grudge against Candace, but how is that consistent with his forgive-and-forget attitude toward EDD?
Geno didn't pick the team, the committee did. And he isn't on the committee.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
But he makes a recommendation to the committee, and I'm sure that the head coach's recommendation would be taken very seriously.

It is like the President proposing legislation to Congress. They don't have to go along, but they do have to take it seriously.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

It's amazing how many folks ignore this little detail. Yet, he's been getting a lot of negative press because Parker was left off the team. Another instance of people making comments without knowing all the facts, or protocol.

Reaction Score
But he makes a recommendation to the committee, and I'm sure that the head coach's recommendation would be taken very seriously.

It is like the President proposing legislation to Congress. They don't have to go along, but they do have to take it seriously.

LOL!!! You are kidding right? Since when Congress ever took the President's proposals seriously?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Instead of attacking a coach's or program's integrity, how about just saying you hate them because of their success?
And you could add that Geno and UCONN have surpassed Pat and Tenn at every turn. Her one claim to fame now is the record for games won, but Tara, Sylvia, and Viv will catch her in 4+ years and Geno in about 5 years. She will be remembered as a pioneer, but 2nd banana to the greatest coach in the history of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom