Nice article on our "three-zie" in the Record Journal | The Boneyard

Nice article on our "three-zie" in the Record Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kaleena is almost a reincarnation of a great former NBA player, Freddie Brown. Do I need to explain how he got his nickname of "Downtown"?

DFB was a fine player (captain of the 1979-1980 NBA Champions, Seattle Sonics) who once scored 58 in a game and 45 in a playoff game. Also shot a career 85% on FTs, and copped 10 steals in a game. But he is remembered most for his incredible outside shooting. When the NBA adopted the 3-point shot (1979-80) he naturally led the league (44%+). Old-timers with fond and fuzzy memories will swear that most of his 6,000 field goals were from long range. Hell, "Downtown Freddie Brown" could have knocked down shots from the mezzanine.

But even he never hit 50% from beyond the arc for a season. As Kaleena has done as a teenage college sophomore. If he was "downtown," what does that make KML? "Suburban"?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that this NCAA tourney is KML time. She is playing so much like Maya right now.

Reaction Score
Kaleena is almost a reincarnation of a great former NBA player, Freddie Brown. Do I need to explain how he got his nickname of "Downtown"?

DFB was a fine player (captain of the 1979-1980 NBA Champions, Seattle Sonics) who once scored 58 in a game and 45 in a playoff game. Also shot a career 85% on FTs, and copped 10 steals in a game. But he is remembered most for his incredible outside shooting. When the NBA adopted the 3-point shot (1979-80) he naturally led the league (44%+). Old-timers with fond and fuzzy memories will swear that most of his 6,000 field goals were from long range. Hell, "Downtown Freddie Brown" could have knocked down shots from the mezzanine.

But even he never hit 50% from beyond the arc for a season. As Kaleena has done as a teenage college sophomore. If he was "downtown," what does that make KML? "Suburban"?

It makes Kaleena, "Outer Limits"...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that this NCAA tourney is KML time. She is playing so much like Maya right now.
Her major limitation is that she can't create her own shot like Maya. If she gets to that point, or if our guard play improves in her last two years, watch out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Kaleena has a better handle than Maya. She seemed to be able to create her shot nicely off the dribble in Storrs this weekend. On the other hand, against Vandy, she got an offensive board and put up a wild shot from a tough angle underneath. Maya would have either gone for the tip-in or powered straight up and gotten a better angle. Maya's vertical explosiveness and long arms were great weapons. Plus, I think Maya is at least 1" taller than KML in reality.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Both Maya and KML are great players with beautiful shots. The main difference I see is that Maya seemed to play 'in the air' while KML is a more 'grounded' player. That is not a knock on KML, just a different aspect. I think KML plays better in the low post (more physical) than Maya did at the same stage and you just down see the soaring to the basket plays from KML that you saw from Maya. I also think Maya may have better anticipation than KML - an instinctual ability to know where the ball is going to be before it happens.
And I think Maya had a better intensity from day 1 than KML had (she is catching up!)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She creates her own shot regularly but not from every location on the floor.
She couldn't buy a shot against ND in the BET finals. Maya would always get her shots. Always. I adore KML, but there is no comparison. Not yet.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She couldn't buy a shot against ND in the BET finals. Maya would always get her shots. Always. I adore KML, but there is no comparison. Not yet.
No, Maya didn't always get her shots and was roundly criticized here on the board for that fact and by Geno at times for standing around. You are engaging in revisionist history. She had several games when she scored under double figures. Often in games when she wasn't creating her own shot she found other ways to score often because she got out on the break or others set screens, etc. I do not equate taking shots or even scoring with creating her own shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom