NFA's Marcus Outlow.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NFA's Marcus Outlow..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You should offer every kid who will improve the team. I don't know why they don't offer every 5* and good 4* in the country. It costs nothing. Even if they tell you I'm not interested, don't call me, you can still give them an offer and not call them.

NOT - that would be damaging. If you get a reputation of offering everyone that will get you nothing other than heartache in the recruiting community... Rival Coach to recruit: "You're not special, they offer everyone" It 's an ego thing with these 16,17,18 y/o kids.

pj

Reaction Score
OK. But offer every top kid from Connecticut at least.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
OK. But offer every top kid from Connecticut at least.

footprint. nyc north to pk/albany and anything east of that. anyone worthy u offer. we have to establish a footprint as a school. its not just recruits, its where we take a high % of students and where alum live etc etc....i am a huge believer that uconn doesn't understand or have a vision of a footprint and if they built one it would be a killer tool for the future of uconn.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
footprint. nyc north to pk/albany and anything east of that. anyone worthy u offer. we have to establish a footprint as a school. its not just recruits, its where we take a high % of students and where alum live etc etc....i am a huge believer that uconn doesn't understand or have a vision of a footprint and if they built one it would be a killer tool for the future of uconn.

Yes, I think this is very important. It's more than about just the one player. Show the player they're special to you by frequent and engaged contacts, and by what you say to them, their coach, their parents, their friends. But you can go out and give lots of offers to show you care about a region, an area ... or to show that you're trying to compete with top programs. Show as an institution that you are trying to be ambitious and aim high, compete with the best. Just offering lots of top players doesn't show that by itself, but as part of a consistent effort including marketing and other institutional efforts, it validates it. Show the players that UConn will be bigger in 3-4 years than it is today. Let them have the best of both worlds -- a quick path onto the field, but the opportunity to play at the highest level in a few years.

If our recruiting is better under P, it's partly because he casts a wider net and offers some good players that Edsall would never have invested effort in. That kind of extra effort is important.

The staff has to judge what their time limits are and how many players they can beneficially offer and which ones should be offered, balancing talent and likelihood of landing them. But we shouldn't fail to compete for a kid like Outlow, and I would say that if he was from New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, or Philly too. We at least made an offer to David Williams from Philly last year, that was good, he wasn't interested but it was good we were in the game.

The other thing is that the more people in the football world you pitch yourself to, universities and players alike, the more chance you have that they will learn the good points of UConn, and will talk about UConn's assets to others. That kind of spreading the word, that we're a serious school, can pay dividends a few years down the road. All the top players and coaches talk to each other so if you don't get in the game and put your selling points forward, you won't have the same visibility.

Reaction Score
Who are all these kids that come up from the DC area to play basketball in Southeastern CT.? You were clearly wrong about Kris Dunn, I think Allan Chaney might have moved to New London from Baltimore in 8th grade, is that the pipeline you're talking about?

Torin Childs-Harris is from Virginia Beach and moved up to New London his freshman year. There are others from past years but their names escape me right now.

Reaction Score
Torin Childs-Harris is from Virginia Beach and moved up to New London his freshman year. There are others from past years but their names escape me right now.
I live in southeastern CT. You are wrong on most accounts. I guess if you keep throwing out names maybe one will stick.

Reaction Score
People on this board have a lot of trouble admitting when they are wrong.

U

UConn9604

Childs-Harris's mother went to Fitch (across the river in Groton) and two of his uncles starred there. So, it's not like he was new to the area. Also, as someone else pointed out, the Norfolk-Groton pipeline from the Navy also delivers (and takes away) a lot of talent to/from the area.

Reaction Score
The boston college at the New London Day put out an article today creaming UConn recruiting, and I guarantee the got the idea for the article from this message board after Jacob's courant article about state HS championship games.

UConn, like it or not, recruiting wise, is a high academic standard level state flagship land grant university, and the degree means something. That means that UConn scholarship offers don't get tossed around like they're candy off a parade float. Edsall didn't do it, and neither is Pasqualoni.

If the kid fits the profile of the athlete we're looking for, he'll get recruited - for real recruited - in due process. And that's key - for real recruited - because 99% of the stuff you read, see, hear about recruiting is untrustworthy, until a certain stage of the recruiting process is reached, and this kid is nowhere near that stage yet.

There's nothing negative about what this kid's recruiting is from UConn.

We're looking to build upon a reputation that was established by Edsall, and is being continued by Pasqualoni - and that means in recruiting, we are going to do things right, find athletes that want to play at UConn, and can compete at the highest level of both academics and athletics, and move on to the NFL, if that is their ultimate goal, and at the same time, are going to actually have to perform in school, and earn a valueable degree as well as compete on the field.

Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Notre Dame are all in significant bowl games this year. The academic and student athlete profiles of these kinds of universities, is what UConn is looking for in scholarship student athlete competition. UConn was in a BCS bowl game two seasons ago, with high recruiting standards, and the current staff, won't be around if we're not back in the post season by next year based on - field performance - is my guess - but the recruiting profile of the athletes we want, is not going to change at any time, regardless of the staff, and players make programs, not coaches.

Be careful what you write about UConn guys, there are paid, media writers out there, that will latch on to anything you've got say negatively and try to generate readership that way, and public perception of our university - well unfortunately, we need a lot of grassroots movement from the people that really care - to really change things.

If this kid, fits the profile of what we want, we're going to go after him, and we're going to do it the right way. Just like we do with every other athlete we're going to recruit.

Reaction Score
The boston college at the New London Day put out an article today creaming UConn recruiting, and I guarantee the got the idea for the article from this message board after Jacob's courant article about state HS championship games.

UConn, like it or not, recruiting wise, is a high academic standard level state flagship land grant university, and the degree means something. That means that UConn scholarship offers don't get tossed around like they're candy off a parade float. Edsall didn't do it, and neither is Pasqualoni.

If the kid fits the profile of the athlete we're looking for, he'll get recruited - for real recruited - in due process. And that's key - for real recruited - because 99% of the stuff you read, see, hear about recruiting is untrustworthy, until a certain stage of the recruiting process is reached, and this kid is nowhere near that stage yet.

We're looking to build upon a reputation that was established by Edsall, and is being continued by Pasqualoni - and that means in recruiting, we are going to do things right, find athletes that want to play at UConn, and can compete at the highest level of both academics and athletics, and move on to the NFL, if that is their ultimate goal, and at the same time, are going to actually have to perform in school, and earn a valueable degree as well as compete on the field.

Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Notre Dame are all in significant bowl games this year. The academic and student athlete profiles of these kinds of universities, is what UConn is looking for in scholarship student athlete competition. UConn was in a BCS bowl game two seasons ago, with high recruiting standards, and the current staff, won't be around if we're not back in the post season by next year based on - field performance - is my guess - but the recruiting profile of the athletes we want, is not going to change at any time, regardless of the staff, and players make programs, not coaches.

Be careful what you write about UConn guys, there are paid, media writers out there, that will latch on to anything you've got say negatively and try to generate readership that way, and public perception of our university - well unfortunately, we need a lot of grassroots movement from the people that really care - to really change things.

If this kid, fits the profile of what we want, we're going to go after him, and we're going to do it the right way. Just like we do with every other athlete we're going to recruit.

DiMauro joins the discourse on Outlow and UConn here

Typical DiMauro but what kills me about these articles is that they write what they do knowing full well that UConn can't comment.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
sounds like he reads here and has been watching me beg the past 5 months for uconn to offer these 4 great rbs and now that he knows atleast 1 of them blew up he can write about it. this whole ath dept gets me so fustrated its unreal.

Reaction Score

Carl, i think you're missing the point here. The kid is 30 minutes away from Storrs, has SEC and Big 12 offers since the summer and UConn comes to the party late. If the kid chooses Alabama or Oklahoma nobody can bitch about how he didn't stay home. If he chooses someone lower and says UConn didn't show him enough love, this place will go buck wild calling for heads to roll. Maybe BC rolls in with Addazio and plucks him away.

The flip side, say he wants to be close to his family, chooses UConn. We finally have a recruit that we beat the big boys on. It doesn't matter why he chose us, just the fact that he did and we conquered a major hurdle in our recruiting.

Reaction Score
The vast majority of people, that pay attention to this kind of stuff, have no idea what football recruiting is really like. Never mind the sports columnists for the papers - clueless. I'm not going to write anymore about what offers this kid may or may not have.

The bottom line is this, the kids that are successful as both students and athlete as scholarship football players, are the ones that go to play somewhere, for coaches they feel comfortable with that have recruited them, and ultimately about how they feel about the players they are going to play with and the student community. It's about people.

The physical attributes, skill of a player, are stratified, in that these things aren't coached, and for a team to be competitive at a certain level of competition of the field, the athletes being recruited, need to have the basics of the physical attributes to compete, bare minimum. This is why Edsall supposedly found - diamonds in the rough. He didn't - he just found players with significant speed, that wanted to come to UConn, and wanted to play with the people that they met at UConn.

It's the players that choose a school, based on the glitz/glamour/name/location - that run into trouble.

Oxford Bob - this kind of kid with all the offers on the website, is not the "recruit that we beat the big boys on."

The first recruit that comes to UConn, and transfers out to another 1-A program for playing time - will be the first recruit that we beat the big boys on.

We are several steps closer to that right now, than we were a few years ago.

Reaction Score
I live in southeastern CT. You are wrong on most accounts. I guess if you keep throwing out names maybe one will stick.

Hmmm. Are you calling Torin a liar?

http://newlondon.patch.com/articles/whiz-kid-torin-childs-harris

I moved freshman year from Virginia Beach. I had to get used to the weather, to a lot of things. I had to get used to everything, the people, the coaching up here is different--everything is different. [But] it was fairly easy. I had friends who moved up here. I just wanted to come up here and play basketball.

Reaction Score
Johnhuskies95, another poster already pointed out that Torin Childs-Harris' mother went to Fitch and his uncles starred there....so clearly he had a connection to the area, family lives in the area. You were completely wrong about Kris Dunn and have only come up with one name for this recruiting pipeline that Southeastern CT. has to the DC/Virginia/Baltimore area. Your theory was absolutely ridiculous and you got called out on it, calling me out for no reason only makes you look more ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Johnhuskies95, another poster already pointed out that Torin Childs-Harris' mother went to Fitch and his uncles starred there....so clearly he had a connection to the area, family lives in the area. You were completely wrong about Kris Dunn and have only come up with one name for this recruiting pipeline that Southeastern CT. has to the DC/Virginia/Baltimore area. Your theory was absolutely ridiculous and you got called out on it, calling me out for no reason only makes you look more ridiculous.

I'm not going to argue this any further. You started this with making a nonsensical point about Max Wittek and then it went from there. Max Wittek's dad moved his family out to California solely so that Max could play at Mater Dei and then go on to USC. It's completely different than Outlow's situation.

And having Childs-Harris' mom from the area doesn't mean that he didn't come up to New London for basketball. Most athletes have some natural ties to the school they go to.

You're the same guy who argued for months on end against anyone who told you that Pasqualoni was not going to be fired after two years, even when every single piece of evidence in the history of NCAA football pointed to him being retained. And sorry if I don't think that Warde Manuel is the devil reincarnated.

Reaction Score
Holy you are so clueless and I have no idea what you are talking about in the second paragraph. You should keep monitoring the DC/Baltimore/Virginia Beach recruiting pipeline to Southeastern Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I heard Warde will be having a press conference tomorrow to explain why we have not offered this kid.

Reaction Score
I heard Warde will be having a press conference tomorrow to explain why we have not offered this kid.
Of course "we are monitoring the situation" as to the scholarship offer to Marcus Outlow. The coaches will make the appropriate adjustments and we will be fine for next year.

C

Chief00

Of course "we are monitoring the situation" as to the scholarship offer to Marcus Outlow. The coaches will make the appropriate adjustments and we will be fine for next year.

Unfortunately Outlaw got injuried in the first offensive possession and was merely a decay after that. Coach P was in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom