Next OC on the sideline | The Boneyard

Next OC on the sideline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whoever our next Offensive Coordinator is I want him on the sidelines during play not up in the booth. Given GDL's age maybe that is best for him but he is the O-line coach and playcaller and to have no ability to directly communicate face to face with his players let alone use a wipe board to make adjustments doesn't help us. Think Kelly at ND, Jones at Cinci. Having Coach Brown on the sideline on D just speeds up the ability to get things right. Having someone insulated in the booth it's hard to up the intensity level over the phone talking to one player. If you can't call the plays from the sideline you don't know your own stuff that well.

Reaction Score
DeLeone should be on the sideline next week. When things are going bad try something different. The next 4 games are against opponents who may end the season with losing records, if by some miracle we win all four we may find ourselves still fighting for a championship going into Louisville.

Try something different.

Reaction Score
Whoever our next Offensive Coordinator is I want him on the sidelines during play not up in the booth. Given GDL's age maybe that is best for him but he is the O-line coach and playcaller and to have no ability to directly communicate face to face with his players let alone use a wipe board to make adjustments doesn't help us. Think Kelly at ND, Jones at Cinci. Having Coach Brown on the sideline on D just speeds up the ability to get things right. Having someone insulated in the booth it's hard to up the intensity level over the phone talking to one player. If you can't call the plays from the sideline you don't know your own stuff that well.

Not sure it makes a difference but okay I'll bite... What's the % of OC that do their work from the sidelines and those that do it from above?

Reaction Score
Not sure it makes a difference but okay I'll bite... What's the % of OC that do their work from the sidelines and those that do it from above?
Has nothing to do with where GDL is standing or sitting. All OC's are in the booth btw.

Reaction Score
Isn't Brown on the sidelines?
He's a DC. But GDL is the offensive line coach too. The offensive line coach should be on the sidelines. But the fact is, GDL should not be the OC, and I don't care where he is at this point. It's not going to help.

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with where GDL is standing or sitting. All OC's are in the booth btw.

I thought so... I was trying to figure out the line of thought in a polite way ;)

Reaction Score

Good point but I think at this stage of UCONN's growth at the FBS level we might need a more hands on type OC... Someone that get better prepare our players on OFFENSE for games... It's not happening right now... As boring as Edsall's offense was (post Norries Wilson) the execution with this current staff ( and it's probably execution moreso than playcalling .. even though I really don't feel that way ) is NOT as good.. plain and simple... Guys that are vets need to be made uncomfortable... Nobody should be safe with the kind of inconsistency we've had in year 2... Something's gotta give...

Reaction Score
Isn't the USC, ND and Cinci head coaches calling the plays? If all offensive Coordinators are in the booth in College I'm surprised as Gilbride, Andy Reid,the Patriots OC and on and on in the NFL are right on the field.

Reaction Score
911, your point about execution is spot on, the only time we lined up in the wishbone was the 3rd down pass by McCummings. The whole thing seemed rushed and the Wooden addage "Be quick but don"t hurry" applies there as we bungled it. The players gave a good effort but it looked unfamilier to them as to execution. The mad scientist in the booth isn't making things simple enough.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the OC is also the QB coach I want him on the sidelines as during a game there will normally be a need for the QB to discuss what is going on with the position coach. If this is the case another assistant can view the field from above. If the OC is not the QB coach, I want him in the booth.

Reaction Score
DeLeone should be on the sideline next week. When things are going bad try something different. The next 4 games are against opponents who may end the season with losing records, if by some miracle we win all four we may find ourselves still fighting for a championship going into Louisville.

Try something different.
I was trying to figure out where all this optimism was coming from then I noticed the monicker....LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom