New Wide Receiver Coach - Erik Campbell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Wide Receiver Coach - Erik Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Always good to add an experienced recruiting coordinator. Aren't those the guys with great recruiting skills?

It would be nice to pick up a couple of the top recruits he was going after at Michigan. I know Michigan goes after a lot of guys in Jersey, so maybe the combo of him and Diaco can steal a couple of 2017 recruits.

Reaction Score
Always good to add an experienced recruiting coordinator. Aren't those the guys with great recruiting skills?

IIRC typically the recruiting coordinator works out the logistics (scheduling, travel, etc...). I'm sure recruiting is done, but i don't think being a knock-down recruiter is a prerequisite for the job. However, i'm sure some are BOTH. Hopefully we have one of those in Campbell.

Reaction Score
IIRC typically the recruiting coordinator works out the logistics (scheduling, travel, etc...). I'm sure recruiting is done, but i don't think being a knock-down recruiter is a prerequisite for the job. However, i'm sure some are BOTH. Hopefully we have one of those in Campbell.

Having trouble posting a link from my phone.

Google "Are college football recruiting coordinators good recruiters?"

Apparently many are considered the best recruiter on the team. I think 2 other coaches on staff were former recruiting coordinators for other teams.

Might explain the class we got. (With multiple P5 offers, not stars)

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the driving force behind this hire (aside from being a great coach) is to lure Tarik Black to Uconn. would be a great get if that was the case

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the driving force behind this hire (aside from being a great coach) is to lure Tarik Black to Uconn. would be a great get if that was the case
No

Reaction Score
desmondconner8:02am via Twitter for iPhone
New #UConnFootball WR coach @ErikCampbell..."When Coach Diaco gave me the opportunity to come out here I didn't blink."

desmondconner8:10am via Twitter for iPhone
New #UConnFootball WR coach @ErikCampbell was recruiting coordinator at #Michigan last year "I wanted to coach but not just at any place"

desmondconner8:24am via Twitter for iPhone
Former #UConn athletic director Warde Manuel and new#UConnFootball WR coach @ErikCampbell played together at#Michigan...

desmondconner8:33am via Twitter for iPhone
New #UConnFootball WR @ErikCampbell was receivers coach on#Michigan 1997 national championship team, also Asst HC to Lloyd Carr 5 seasons

desmondconner8:36am via Twitter for iPhone
New #UConnFootball WR coach @ErikCampbell has met the #Huskiesreceivers: "Oh I'm excited about them. I'm excited about all of them"

desmondconner8:39am via Twitter for iPhone
New #UConnFootball WR coach @ErikCampbell on #UConn WRs: "It seems like they're hungry to learn and hungry to win and they have the skills"

desmondconner9:02am via Twitter for iPhone
#UConnFootball coach @ErikCampbellstill holds amazing #NCAA record coaching #Michigan WRs to 8 consecutive 1,000 yd seasons (1998-2005)

desmondconner9:04am via Twitter for iPhone
#UConnFootball WR coach @ErikCampbell "My goal is to make sure we have the best wide receivers in the nation...that's my main focus"

Reaction Score
He seems to have the same mindset as Diaco. Can't wait to see what he brings to the table!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Diaco - demonstrating he identifies his own weaknesses. Last year, he changed OC and this year, its time to upgrade the WR coaching. I hope we see more progress with Verducci in his second year. Let's hope year 1 was a learning year and year 2 brings more evolution.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's like the Donald Trump of WR coaches. Let's build a wall around the HS WR's in the northeast.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Will Jesus be allowed within that wall?

images

Reaction Score
I can't be the only one thinking Campbell may also be in line for the HC spot if Diaco leaves in a few years. Tons of experience with a proven track record, Asst. Head coach for 5 years, etc.

Reaction Score
I think you are @JMick

Maybe, but it doesn't seem like someone with those qualifications comes to UConn just to be a WR coach. If we don't get into a P5 and we continue to improve every year, Diaco is probably gone. Obviously none of us know all of the details, but for someone with his experience and pedigree, we seem like small fish at the moment. It's either that, or he really believes UConn will be a strong contender. We do have great talent at the WR position so I'm looking forward to what he does with the unit

Reaction Score
I can't be the only one thinking Campbell may also be in line for the HC spot if Diaco leaves in a few years. Tons of experience with a proven track record, Asst. Head coach for 5 years, etc.
Heck yeah... He should be... This guy's got too many credentials and is probably ready to take that next step...

We'll find out more around this time next year, after we've won about 10 or 11 games (including the bowl win.. I'm calling it)...
I just think Diaco's gonna get calls from a few prominent programs looking for change at the top if I'm right and we have a really good season...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm ecstatic that UConn picked up a P-5 level position coach and one who fostered the careers of two handfuls of 1,000 yard receivers at a predominantly 3-yards-&-a-cloud-of-mud (yet elite) program. But what makes anyone think he is the heir apparent to Coach Diaco?

When he was hired, more than a few 'Yarders b1tched that UConn's current coach had no HC or play calling experience, dismissing almost every other attribute about the man. At the very least, Coach Diaco was a defensive coordinator, Broyles Award Winner, and Associate Head Coach of a team that just went to the BCS Championship game. For the last 8 years, Coach Campbell has never been more than a position coach and hasn't held the "assistant head coach" title since 2007.

As I said, I am more than happy to welcome Coach Campbell. I hope Noel Thomas becomes the next Larry Fitzgerald (both in college and in the NFL), but I just assume not get ahead of myself either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom