New Wide Receiver Coach - Erik Campbell | The Boneyard

New Wide Receiver Coach - Erik Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
desmondconner5:19pm via Twitter for iPhone
Hearing #UConnFootball has settled on Erik "Soup" Campbell from Michigan to coach wide receivers at#UConn

desmondconner5:21pm via Twitter for iPhone
Erik "Soup" Campbell was recruiting coordinator for #Michigan last season but is a former #Wolverines WR player and coach

desmondconner5:23pm via Twitter for iPhone
This is some hire for #UConnFootballat WR. Erik Campbell of Michigan set an NCAA record for coaching 1,000-yd receivers for 8 straight yrs!

desmondconner5:31pm via Twitter for iPhone
With Erik Campbell coming from#Michigan to coach WRs OC Frank Verducci will coach TEs, David Corley will coach RBs #UConnFootball

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here was the job description as posted:

The University of Connecticut is accepting applications and nominations for the full time position of Assistant Football Coach/Wide Receivers.

Duties and Responsibilities: Assist the Head Football Coach in the organization and administration of all phases of a FBS program including game preparation and the recruitment and evaluation of prospective student-athletes; assist in monitoring academic progress and development of student-athletes; community involvement; and other program duties as assigned by the Head Football Coach.

Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree; ten years of full-time experience as a collegiate football coach at the FBS level; experience in coaching in professional football; detailed knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations; strong commitment to the academic goals of the University; and excellent organizational, teaching, communication and public relations skills.

Preferred Qualifications: Five years of Wide Receiver coach experience within the last ten years at FBS level; minimum of 2 Bowl Game appearances in the last 5 years; proven record of developing players into NFL prospects; Division I/FBS playing experience.

Reaction Score
Sweet :) I'd be curious to see what areas of the country Campbell can recruit. The guy has been around. Syracuse, Iowa, Michigan, Navy, did some time north of the border with the Montreal pro football team. Good get for Diaco. Nice way to finish signing day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
desmondconner5:19pm via Twitter for iPhone
Hearing #UConnFootball has settled on Erik "Soup" Campbell from Michigan to coach wide receivers at#UConn

desmondconner5:21pm via Twitter for iPhone
Erik "Soup" Campbell was recruiting coordinator for #Michigan last season but is a former #Wolverines WR player and coach

desmondconner5:23pm via Twitter for iPhone
This is some hire for #UConnFootballat WR. Erik Campbell of Michigan set an NCAA record for coaching 1,000-yd receivers for 8 straight yrs!

desmondconner5:31pm via Twitter for iPhone
With Erik Campbell coming from#Michigan to coach WRs OC Frank Verducci will coach TEs, David Corley will coach RBs #UConnFootball
Yes. Corley back to RBs....but I'd like some clarity on Verducci. Is he still OC along with taking care of TEs?

Reaction Score
Yes. Corley back to RBs....but I'd like some clarity on Verducci. Is he still OC along with taking care of TEs?
Yeah...that wasn't changing

Reaction Score
Sweet :) I'd be curious to see what areas of the country Campbell can recruit. The guy has been around. Syracuse, Iowa, Michigan, Navy, did some time north of the border with the Montreal pro football team. Good get for Diaco. Nice way to finish signing day.
This mightbe, no, probably is, the biggest signing today.we got a guy who's actually done it and has shown the ability to teach it. Intriguing.
I sure hope ends being for us coaching WRs as Terry Richardson was for us coaching our RBs

Reaction Score
Diaco must have got the news from Desmond late. :D He told us @ the signing event around 6:30 that we were hearing the first announcement. Medic had it here by 5:32 ;).
Either way seems to be nice frosting on a good class this year. Regardless of what the media is saying.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Great addition!

What has me curious is he was a WR at Michigan when Harbaugh was QB and was a well accomplished WR coach for many years prior to Harbaugh's return. I know the story on Harbaugh is that he is difficult to work with. I see this as our gain on JH's abrasive personality. If TJ hung around another month he'd be on Michigan's active coaching staff today.

Reaction Score
Great addition!

What has me curious is he was a WR at Michigan when Harbaugh was QB and was a well accomplished WR coach for many years prior to Harbaugh's return. I know the story on Harbaugh is that he is difficult to work with. I see this as our gain on JH's abrasive personality. If TJ hung around another month he'd be on Michigan's active coaching staff today.
Maybe TJ had similar thoughts and just happened to catch an earlier train out of Dodge!

Reaction Score
Great addition!

Campbell was not a coach at Michigan last year. He was an off the field assistant. He is coming to UConn to get back into on field coaching.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Campbell was not a coach at Michigan last year. He was an off the field assistant. He is coming to UConn to get back into on field coaching.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

I'm now curious as to why (considering the receivers that have come out of Michigan over the past dozen plus years) he wasn't coaching that position last year.

Reaction Score
I'm now curious as to why (considering the receivers that have come out of Michigan over the past dozen plus years) he wasn't coaching that position last year.

Pretty sure Harbaugh had already hired Jedd Fisch from Jacksonville as QB/WR Coach

Reaction Score
I thought that the next wide receivers coach may be in line to take over at offensive coordinator when that opens up, but now I'm convinced of it. This guy wanted opportunity and I think Diaco can give it to him.

Reaction Score
this guy's coached some pretty good receivers in the NFL too. exactly what Noel Thomas and recruits like to hear. check this out, it's pretty good!

At Michigan, he coached a number of elite college wideouts -- Tai Streets, Amani Toomer, Braylon Edwards, David Terrell, Jason Avant, Mario Manningham, Steve Breaston and many others

Reaction Score
this guy's coached some pretty good receivers in the NFL too. exactly what Noel Thomas and recruits like to hear. check this out, it's pretty good!

At Michigan, he coached a number of elite college wideouts -- Tai Streets, Amani Toomer, Braylon Edwards, David Terrell, Jason Avant, Mario Manningham, Steve Breaston and many others
He's being missed already by Michigan Fans

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/erik-campbell-hired-uconns-wr-coach

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....man! Oh well, best of luck coach! You're one my favorites! A great hire! I just worry because when he was here, we were producing WRs like no other...he left and our WRs were solid (Hemingway, Gallon, Roundtree) but not the same. As soon as he comes back, Chesson, who was just average before he showed up - All B1G and team MVP. Could be a coincidence, but the guy can coach some football."-Mr. Yost

"Damn I love that guy, in of course a manly way. Watch how much better UConns WRs get under his tutelage he is one of the all time favorites of a helluva lot of players."-Mgodiscgolfer

Reaction Score
I like the hire. I was looking for Campbell's link to Diaco, as most of his coaches seem to have one. I didn't see a direct link but Campbell coached the WRs at Iowa for 4 years (2008-12) so maybe that's it?

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I am a big fan of the fact that SOUP Campbell (great name!) is NOT one of Diaco's good old boys... I like bringing in fresh blood, a fresh set of eyes and different perspective to come in and help shape the offense into the monster we know it can be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom