New US News World Report College Rankings Will Be Out Soon | The Boneyard

New US News World Report College Rankings Will Be Out Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On Tuesday, Sept. 13, U.S. News will release the 2017 edition of the rankings for best colleges. If UConn moves up from the No. 19 spot in public universities, it could help in realignment. If it moves up enough eventually the AAU may take notice and offer UConn membership in that body. Currently, UConn is tied with Maryland in ranking on the public university list. Among all U.S. universities it is ranked No. 57. It would be great if UConn could break the top 50 among all U.S. universities. Edging UConn/Maryland out in the last public university rankings were the tied Texas/Ohio State/Univ. Washington. If UConn could beat or tie with Texas in the upcoming report -- the Austin community may take notice, too. Academics sometime matter in realignment.

Reaction Score
Academics do matter very much to college presidents.

Less so to media partners who have their own metrics.

It will be a balancing act....but UConn isn't "just" good academics and it could be that academics tilt the balance

Reaction Score
Imagine Memphis making the top 200. Boy would that hurt their fans.

Reaction Score
Academics do matter very much to college presidents.

Less so to media partners who have their own metrics.

It will be a balancing act....but UConn isn't "just" good academics and it could be that academics tilt the balance
Once again, it is clear that academics made no difference to the president of FSU or the other ACC members. If such was the case then Louisville would not be a member of the ACC!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Imagine Memphis making the top 200. Boy would that hurt their fans.
Are you talking top 200 within Tennessee or throughout the Tennessee/Arkansas/Mississippi tri-state area?

Reaction Score
Once again, it is clear that academics made no difference to the president of FSU or the other ACC members. If such was the case then Louisville would not be a member of the ACC!

ACC was desperate. Their FB sucked back then, so they gave in to FSU and Clemson, and Imade a horrible decision that will probably haunt them forever when it comes to academics. Yeah I can see UNC, UVA, and Duke love their association with the new pimp n ho U with community college level academics.

Had ACC took UConn, and B12 took UL, everyone would be much happier today. If that was the case, ACC can still go around brag about their academics today, and every school in the ACC would still touch the Atlantic ocean.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
ACC was desperate. Their FB sucked back then, so they gave in to FSU and Clemson, and Imade a horrible decision that will probably haunt them forever when it comes to academics. Yeah I can see UNC, UVA, and Duke love their association with the new pimp n ho U with community college level academics.

Had ACC took UConn, and B12 took UL, everyone would be much happier today. If that was the case, ACC can still go around brag about their academics today, and every school in the ACC would still touch the Atlantic ocean.

Except for football, this statement wouldn't be true either.

Reaction Score
Except for football, this statement wouldn't be true either.

You are correct. When ACC took Pitt over UCONN (UCONN was the initial 2 along with CUSE according to Boston Globe article) to prevent B12 taking Pitt, it started their process of taking schools in states not touching the Atlantic ocean. Now they have 2 schools in states not touching the Atlantic ocean. It was another spiteful move by the ACC and BCU. It was the reason why former BCU AD flipper was gloating for blocking UCONN.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If it moves up enough eventually the AAU may take notice and offer UConn membership in that body. Currently, UConn is tied with Maryland in ranking on the public university list. Among all U.S. universities it is ranked No. 57.
AAU has nothing to do with undergrad rating or rep and everything to do with research expenditures and quality. Dartmouth -- one of the 20 best colleges in the entire world -- isn't in the AAU, for example, and neither is Notre Dame because they're not research institutions.

So it doesn't matter how much or even if we move up this list, relative to our AAU chances.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it is unlikely UConn will make the Big 10 without an AAU invite. Neither Dartmouth nor Georgetown are interested in the B10.

Reaction Score

I guess that you like Rice for the Big 12....ranked high in the USNWR at #18...lousy football, but good academics.

Reaction Score
I guess that you like Rice for the Big 12....ranked high in the USNWR at #18...lousy football, but good academics.

I don't think you be popular here if you compare UConn football to Rice football. Uconn football is on par with most ACC schools back in 2010 or today.

Reaction Score
If UConn makes it to the top 10 public universities in USWR rankings I have to suspect that would help in getting it more attention from the AAU. It's not just about research dollars. Look at Brandeis, an AAU member.

Reaction Score
If UConn makes it to the top 10 public universities in USWR rankings I have to suspect that would help in getting it more attention from the AAU. It's not just about research dollars. Look at Brandeis, an AAU member.

Do you really, really, think that the AAU doesn't know about UConn, it's strong metrics, and it's shortcomings? Use the search box in the upper right corner (try Herbst AAU for starters) - it's been discussed ad nauseam on here by people who understand the process.

Reaction Score
Louisville didn't hurt the academic reps of the old Big East schools & it won't hurt the ACC. It also didn't hurt that Louisville invested in it's football facilities & support structure from the University level down in terms of attendance,bowl support etc

Reaction Score
You are correct. When ACC took Pitt over UCONN (UCONN was the initial 2 along with CUSE according to Boston Globe article) to prevent B12 taking Pitt, it started their process of taking schools in states not touching the Atlantic ocean. Now they have 2 schools in states not touching the Atlantic ocean. It was another spiteful move by the ACC and BCU. It was the reason why former BCU AD flipper was gloating for blocking UCONN.

Where do you think Pittsburgh is?

Reaction Score
Do you really, really, think that the AAU doesn't know about UConn, it's strong metrics, and it's shortcomings? Use the search box in the upper right corner (try Herbst AAU for starters) - it's been discussed ad nauseam on here by people who understand the process.
Unfortunately, many U.S. universities like to package themselves as AAU ready. Many of them also have STEM initiatives. But getting UConn higher in the USNR rankings will clearly help in the effort.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't feel like looking it up but I will wager Brandeis research grants (in dollars) exceeds ours by a reasonable amount.

Reaction Score
Louisville didn't hurt the academic reps of the old Big East schools & it won't hurt the ACC. It also didn't hurt that Louisville invested in it's football facilities & support structure from the University level down in terms of attendance,bowl support etc

Right. But the Big East wasn't always lording its academic prowess over all others on every chat board one could find - like the ACC fans used to do (including, quite laughably, as to UConn). Now that the ACC brought Louisville on board, they can't and don't. Instead they try to downplay the humiliating scandals.

Reaction Score

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We need to move up to at least 53rd nationally and 17th in public schools so that we can be at least top 50 and top 15 respectively by next year.

Reaction Score
UConn did not make the top 10 public university list for USNWR. No surprise here, but maybe it will rank better than last year when the numbers are released next week.

These 10 schools – listed alphabetically below – are the highest-ranking Top Public Schools among those in the National Universities category.

School name (state)
College of William and Mary (VA)
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of California—Berkeley
University of California—Davis
University of California—Irvine
University of California—Los Angeles
University of California—San Diego
University of California—Santa Barbara
University of Illinois—Urbana-Champaign
University of Michigan—Ann Arbor
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
University of Virginia
University of Wisconsin—Madison
(Note: Due to ties, there are more than 10 schools listed here.)

2017 Best Colleges Preview: Top 10 Public Universities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam