New uniforms will be unveiled this Thursday @ Gampel at 1:30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New uniforms will be unveiled this Thursday @ Gampel at 1:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Red won't be the dominate color on anything (helmets, jerseys, pants etc.). Red has always been an accent color and will remain so. Just b/c a handful of people think outlining UConn and the new logo in red makes us a "red" school, doesn't make it true. Besides blue and white, expect gray/steel to be the base for an alternate helmet/jersey/pants.
Ugh....gray alt unis? That's awful...I hated the WVU gray Unis....I'd rather have Black....but it is what it is!

Reaction Score
Red won't be the dominate color on anything (helmets, jerseys, pants etc.). Red has always been an accent color and will remain so. Just b/c a handful of people think outlining UConn and the new logo in red makes us a "red" school, doesn't make it true. Besides blue and white, expect gray/steel to be the base for an alternate helmet/jersey/pants.
Agree with red being an accent color only. It has been used as such on various UConn uniforms since I was a student in the 70s. Randy banished it from the football uniforms when the team moved into the RENT, but the hoops teams still incorporate it in their unis.
UConn's colors are "National Flag Blue" & White, but the 3rd color in the National Flag has been unofficially part of UConn uniforms for decades.

Reaction Score
The reason I think there will be a red jersey is that Nike has been pushing teams to add a 3rd jersey in a "non-traditional" color. Black is most common, but there have also been greys and reds, and even white for teams that don't normally wear white pants for example. Ohio State, BC, and some others have been dressed in white rather than traditional grey or gold, and with the addition of red to the "official" UConn color list I think a red shirt with blue trim is a logical extension. The difference between Black and our dark blue doesn't really work, I don't think. I hope I'm wrong. I'm perfectly happy with Blue & white, but I can't imagine this administration saying "NO" to anything Nike proposes. And of the alternates out there to me it is the least offensive. After all, they have already put the basketball team in pink and grey a couple of years ago. So nothing is impossible for those guys. After the introduction of Donald the Toupee Dog, as with the upcoming football season my expectations are low but,as always, my hopes are high that I will be surprised.

Reaction Score
The reason I think there will be a red jersey is that Nike has been pushing teams to add a 3rd jersey in a "non-traditional" color. Black is most common, but there have also been greys and reds, and even white for teams that don't normally wear white pants for example. Ohio State, BC, and some others have been dressed in white rather than traditional grey or gold, and with the addition of red to the "official" UConn color list I think a red shirt with blue trim is a logical extension. The difference between Black and our dark blue doesn't really work, I don't think. I hope I'm wrong. I'm perfectly happy with Blue & white, but I can't imagine this administration saying "NO" to anything Nike proposes. And of the alternates out there to me it is the least offensive. After all, they have already put the basketball team in pink and grey a couple of years ago. So nothing is impossible for those guys. After the introduction of Donald the Toupee Dog, as with the upcoming football season my expectations are low but,as always, my hopes are high that I will be surprised.

I hope you're wrong too.. and we don't go with red... but, in hindsight, when you look at where we are located (primarily Red Sox nation in northern CT) I wouldn't be surprised one bit...

Reaction Score
I have high hopes for the new uniforms. In general, Nike has done a pretty good job, and most kids I've seen on Twitter really love some of the newer, more modern uniforms. I admit I was a fan of the classic block-C national flag blue-and-white look, but I'm open to something more modern as long as it's not super tacky (i.e., Maryland).

As long as prospective recruits like them and they're not an abomination, I'm on board.

Reaction Score

I'd be happy enough with this. We already had grey/silver in the football unis a few years ago (I thought it looked OK), and had 3rd jersey grey basketball unis, so using it again as a base for an alternate football uniform wouldn't be the worst thing. But red helmets or jerseys would be butt-ugly.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well this why I suspect that Freescooter may be right about the red alternates:
FDopO8V.jpg

That along with the Rebels red jersey that Nike put out. But I hope you are right. Red is a great accent color for us but shouldn't be a dominent color, even in an alternate uni.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is more what i had in mind.
I dont know why, but this color does it for me.

air-force.jpg

Pass.

Really do you want to change your handle to I bleed Husky grey?

Reaction Score
Pass.

Really do you want to change your handle to I bleed Husky grey?

Different strokes.....

Some people will like red, some gray, some black. Either way, it looks as if we will have an alternate in a color that isnt white or blue. So i will have no choice but to bleed something other than blue a couple times per year it seems.

Reaction Score
FDopO8V.jpg

That along with the Rebels red jersey that Nike put out. But I hope you are right. Red is a great accent color for us but shouldn't be a dominent color, even in an alternate uni.

Red jerseys aren't a new thing for Ole Miss. They've already been wearing them for years. (Their official school colors are Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue.)

bilde

Reaction Score
Is that true? If so, that's pretty funny.

Maybe not. I Wiki'd it. ;) Now other sites are saying it's cardinal red & navy blue.

Anyhoo, red & blue main colors. You get the gist.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is that true? If so, that's pretty funny.

Same as Kansas by the way. Crimson and Blue. School founded by Yale and Harvard alumns.

As for our uniforms. I would love to see grey or silver pants, like the Giants wear, regardless of Jersey color. I really hate the blue on blue look, and like contrasting pants. For helmets, blue, white and silver would be my choice if we need three. Not sure if I'd prefer the logo or UCONN...will wait until I see what they do. Something asymetrical might be cool, like UCONN on one side and a number on the other.

Reaction Score
Same as Kansas by the way. Crimson and Blue. School founded by Yale and Harvard alumns.

As for our uniforms. I would love to see grey or silver pants, like the Giants wear, regardless of Jersey color. I really hate the blue on blue look, and like contrasting pants. For helmets, blue, white and silver would be my choice if we need three. Not sure if I'd prefer the logo or UCONN...will wait until I see what they do. Something asymetrical might be cool, like UCONN on one side and a number on the other.

My guess is if they're going to all this trouble to toughen up the logo, we'll see at least one version of the helmets with the logo on it. We'll see.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My guess is if they're going to all this trouble to toughen up the logo, we'll see at least one version of the helmets with the logo on it. We'll see.

Probably at least one version, I agree. I think we may see "UCONN" exacly where "Ole Miss" is on the Ole Miss uniform above. Plus logo on the sleeve as with Cal.

On the whole, I have to believe that this exercise is about attracting attention, especially from a football perspective. I think UConn was embarassed and surprised by how easily Louisville was able to portray UConn as essentially unworthy of status as a real FBS program. Look at the Michigan fan comments in one of the other threads. Too many see UConn as a laughingstock. Do our current uniforms stand out? Are they instantly recognizable to anyone turning on a TV? No. That needs to change. So we're taking a page from the Oregon and Boise State playbook here. Getting noticed is priority number 1. I can only hope the results are not as ugly as what we've seen from Maryland. But don't expect anything as subtle as we saw with UGA, Ole Miss or Cal.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

gray/steel = Very Good

red = Very, Very Bad to Horrible

Reaction Score
gray/steel = Very Good

red = Very, Very Bad to Horrible

I think grey/steel with blue letters and red trim would look awesome. Can't think of any other school that has done that.

Reaction Score
FDopO8V.jpg

I was trying to find this, because it is exactly why I think we'll see red uniforms. I used the Ol Miss uni to show 2 things that I suspect will be part of the UConn package. The red shirt blue pants and the HUSKIES on the pants where their's say Rebels. And I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that ours will say UCONN on 1 leg and Huskies on another. Recently saw a pair of sweats that do that. I'd prefer that we stick to the Blue & White. If they need to use a touch of red, though I don't see why they do, then use it. But basically I think the Ole Miss look with some modest variations(differnt lettering, different names obviously, solid blue helmet, will be one of ours. Too many coincidences. As to the comment that I'll hate it, again, I remain ever hopeful but expect to be disappointed. I like the font of the new lettering. I like the idea of consistent coloring for uniforms. I don't much care for the excessive use of red as if it is somehow required with National flag blue. UConn could have adoptted Red White & blue as its colors many years ago. I did not. Just as it could have used a more "traditional" Husky as its mascot and team logo many years ago. Again, it did not. I think that the current administration is a bit too willing to take liberties with UConn's traditions for my taste, and I say that as an alumnus, a former student athlete, a one game sports broadcaster, and a longtime fan. Susan Herbst and her cronies are doing some things well. Athletics and related matters are not among them.

Reaction Score
FDopO8V.jpg

I can live with any of the combos EXCEPT the red ones ( 4, 8, & 12 )... Looks to Ole Miss'ish ( also being the Yankee fan that I am makes it a turn off )

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I can live with any of the combos EXCEPT the red ones ( 4, 8, & 12 )... Looks to Ole Miss'ish ( also being the Yankee fan that I am makes it a turn off )

I am kind of hoping to see silver (not grey) helmets with a blue stripe and UCONN as in #3. Blue face masks. White helments like #1 could work as well. I don't much like the white "UCONN" on the blue background for a helmet. Red should be avoided except as an accent.

Reaction Score
Re: Helmet - I'd like to see a matte white with the blue UCONN outlined in red.

Not saying that's definitely my first choice, but I'd like to see it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well we know that they considered a 'frosted white helmet' so 1, 5 and 9 are possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom