New Uniform Design | The Boneyard

New Uniform Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The "Schedule" thread morphed into a uniform discussion - a topic that deserves its own thread.

To date, it appears that fashion has dictated the design of women’s basketball uniforms. Versace, Galliano, Dior, Nike. Nike? Clearly the subject needs a new design team. What is wrong with the current uniforms, you might ask?

First, let’s discuss how the current design originated. The low hanging baggy pants that have been in fashion for so long now was prison inspired. Convicts were deprived of belts to prevent their use as weapons or suicide. Prison tailors, having no Saville Row training, were not too careful in making sure their charges were properly fitted, thus the droopy drawers craze was born. This “look” became popular to no one’s benefit except makers of colorful boxer underwear.

It’s often painful to watch players trying to cope with their uniforms. The shoulder straps are too wide. Why else would the players twist the straps like a Twizzler?

The shorts contain too much heavy fabric that restricts movement and absorbs perspiration. Did you notice some of the Olympic teams rolling up the front of their shorts legs, obviously to keep them from sticking to their thighs.

The shirts are always coming out of the shorts.

The loose legs require players to wear tights under the uniform for modesty purposes. So, basically they are wearing two pairs of heat collecting shorts.

Volleyball players are light-years ahead in the area of uniform design. There are many advantages to wearing form fitting shorts:

They weigh almost nothing. The shorts stay put - players don’t have to worry about exposing themselves even though at first glance they appear to be more revealing.

They are Spandex and provide complete range of motion. They have great moisture wicking properties.

They can accommodate protective pads to make diving for a loose ball less hazardous.

Additional required features: A small pocket to store hair containment devices. Minute air bag knee pads that auto inflate upon imminent contact. Small fatigue rings built into the leg. Just slip your hands in and lean for a rest.
For Uconn uniforms only, a ring of outward facing thumb tacks around the hips, chest and back (Pat. Pending).

Reaction Score
While it is true what you say about the prison influence on saggy pants, it has nothing at all to do with basketball fashion. All the players like the long shorts. Once they were accepted, there was no going back. It is old folks like ourselves who have problems accepting the change. Who knows where basketball fashion will go. I seriously doubt if form fitting shorts and tops will ever become popular in basketball. If you do not see it on the playgrounds, you will not see it in the arenas.

Reaction Score
I actually think UConn WBB has some of the better fitting uniforms out there.

A lot of athletes are built differently these days. Imagine an Alex Oriakhi type in some short shorts. I just don't think it would mesh very well. :p

Reaction Score
Nike makes a great uniform but they change them a little too frequently for my taste. Some of the men's teams change them even more--see UNC gray jerseys last year.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I actually think UConn WBB has some of the better fitting uniforms out there.

A lot of athletes are built differently these days. Imagine an Alex Oriakhi type in some short shorts. I just don't think it would mesh very well. :p
Bill Russell in the shorts of his day.....

rus0-013a.gif

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Check out photos of John Stockton. He wore shorts that were a few inches shorter than the popular long baggy ones. No shortage of style, no limitation on movement, a little less weight. Sensible.

Reaction Score
Bill Russell in the shorts of his day.....

It's not a matter of height. To me, it's a matter of muscle and "buffness." I'm just having a hard time seeing a buff man squeezing into such small shorts. But the short shorts were WAY before my time so maybe it can be pulled off well!

Reaction Score
Check out photos of John Stockton. He wore shorts that were a few inches shorter than the popular long baggy ones. No shortage of style, no limitation on movement, a little less weight. Sensible.

Fabrics today are much, much lighter; are less absorbent and dry much faster than the sports fabrics of yesteryear.

Michael Jordan was the first basketball player I recall favoring the longer shorts. And we know how everyone wants to be like Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom