New Student Rec Center Location Announced | The Boneyard

New Student Rec Center Location Announced

Reaction Score
It is my pleasure to announce the location for the new Student Recreation Center! The new recreation center will be built on Hillside Road, on the site where the Connecticut Commons residence halls currently stand. The new 200,000 square foot facility will be a great addition to our campus and will feature a 20,000+ square foot Fitness Center, five full-size basketball courts, a running track, an aquatics center; including a 50 meter swimming pool, a wellness center, squash and racquetball courts, space for club sports and other flexible spaces to support UConn’s recreation programs and activities. The project also will include a multi-purpose outdoor recreation field to be constructed on parking Lot D, which is located off Alumni Drive. The University’s Master Plan intends to replace this parking elsewhere on campus.

The Connecticut Commons residence halls are among the oldest on campus and will be demolished by the summer of 2017 to make way for the new Student Recreation Center. The opening of the new 727 bed STEM residence hall in the fall of 2016 will add a net of approximately 285 beds, meaning that the loss of Connecticut Commons’ beds can be absorbed on campus.

Construction of the Student Recreation Center will begin in 2017, with the anticipated opening of the new facility in fall 2019. The fee for the Recreation Center will not be charged to students until the new building opens its doors.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This is AWESOME. Smack in the middle of campus, tons of basketball courts and FINALLY rec fields for the students so we don't have to play flag football on the frozen field hockey field and risk snapping a leg in half in the process. This is going to be a world class facility located at a world class university. UConn continues to be "UConnstruction" and I'm 100% on board!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Desperately needed. The current facility is truly an embarrassment for a school of this size and with as much invested into it over the last 20 years as there has been. I've been to so many far smaller schools that just blew UConn's facilities out of the water.

Reaction Score
It really is an embarrassment. There were approximately 8-10 squat racks (where people also bench) in the entire gym last year. With other construction going on in Putnam (Hilltop dorms dining hall), they had to eliminate one of the workout rooms for BodyWise, UConn's exercise classes such as spinning, kickboxing, zumba, etc. This leaves about 5 squat/bench racks for 25,000+ students. There never isn't a 15 minute wait for the racks.

This is much, much needed. It kinda stinks that it won't be ready until Fall 2019, so not a single undergrad currently attending will be able to use it, even the current Freshman (if they graduate in 4 years)

Reaction Score
Of course they decide to make a new Rec center shortly after I graduate. I don't even lift at the fieldhouse because it's so cramped I just ball

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's a prerequisite to get into the B!G. Everything going according to plan.

Reaction Score
Every night you should thank your deity that Susan Herbst is at the helm of our University. It's a shame to think how we squandered so much with our prior (lack of) leadership.

Reaction Score
Any clue what will go up in the place of the current Rec Center? It's pretty prime real estate on campus. Also will the Field House remain?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any clue what will go up in the place of the current Rec Center? It's pretty prime real estate on campus. Also will the Field House remain?
If you look carefully at the maps in the linked article, you will see that part of the field is gone and there is a new concourse around Gampel. A new entrance will be built facing a new courtyard in this gap.

Lol, I googled UConn Master Plan and found this link. I knew that I had seen this somewhere.

MasterPlanHub.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you look carefully at the maps in the linked article, you will see that part of the field is gone and there is a new concourse around Gampel. A new entrance will be built facing a new courtyard in this gap.

Lol, I googled UConn Master Plan and found this link. I knew that I had seen this somewhere.

I think that image is out of date, the article says it's going where Connecticut Commons dorms are (what was Grad Dorms when I was there) which is across Hillside from Gampel, not on the same side

Drew

Reaction Score
Is there still a plan to include a below ground level parking garage with a field on top for recreation use? This was by far the coolest aspect of the plan

Reaction Score
Is there still a plan to include a below ground level parking garage with a field on top for recreation use? This was by far the coolest aspect of the plan

I believe the revised master plan has parking being built under Sherman (Track & field hockey).

Drew

Reaction Score
I believe the revised master plan has parking being built under Sherman (Track & field hockey).

Interesting. I'm curious how that will wind up working since I was under the impression that Hillside road that runs straight through the heart of campus will be shut down eventually.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I'm curious how that will wind up working since I was under the impression that Hillside road that runs straight through the heart of campus will be shut down eventually.

Good question. Hillside will still have to remain open to a degree to service certain buildings (Union, Jorgensen, Gampel, Fieldhouse, etc.). For parking traffic, maybe ‘end’ Hillside at Glenbrook allowing folks driving from that direction to take a right there and then go behind the Fieldhouse into the garage and/or build an access road from Calhoun going behind the Basketball center to Sherman.

Drew

Reaction Score

MasterPlanHub.jpg

Might be a dumb question but this attached new concourse would presumably include built in concessions and such correct?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Might be a dumb question but this attached new concourse would presumably include built in concessions and such correct?
Don't know, but I would think so.

Reaction Score
Don't know, but I would think so.

We are talking about a construction projected by the state of Connecticut, home of the CT Busway, fake culverts and drains on I-84 in Cheshire and Waterbury, and a university flagship library that was wrapped in plastic and scaffolding for close to a decade...

Reaction Score
Did they in knock down the grad student housing for this? Also any idea what's going to go where the current gym is?

Reaction Score
Did they in knock down the grad student housing for this? Also any idea what's going to go where the current gym is?

Yes, there was one stairwell left of the old grad dorms when I stopped by in mid August.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom