New Soccer Facility Drawings | The Boneyard

New Soccer Facility Drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Haven't seen them but apparently they are on display at tonight's season opener. Anybody snap a picture?

Reaction Score
image.jpg

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Any time line posted?? I'd been assuming this would be the next project on campus to break ground with the money already donated.

Reaction Score
BackInStorrsAug 29, 8:25pm via Twitter for Android
New renditions of Morrone Stadium look awesome. This is going to be the best college soccer stadium in the country once built.

BackInStorrsAug 29, 9:09pm via Twitter for Android
Key quotes from Ray Reid: Thanked Joe Morrone and said he has been the caretaker of Joe Morrone's program the past 19 years.
BackInStorrsAug 29, 9:10pm via Twitter for Android
Said that this team young and to be patient. Has 26 freshmen and sophomores. Very talented and has the makings of being veey successful.

BackInStorrsAug 29, 9:12pm via Twitter for Android
Freshmen and sophomores should be able play in the new stadium. Thanked the sacrifice of past teams and players for building UConn soccer.

BackInStorrsAug 29, 9:13pm via Twitter for Android
Spoke of possible retirement for him and Lenny (women's coach) and the successful the next coaches will have with the new stadium.

BackInStorrsAug 29, 9:15pm via Twitter for Android
Stadium will have media room, lockerrooms, offices, film rooms, trophy room, team room for meals. Will seat 6,000.

Reaction Score
Glad to see it move forward and not surprised that both coaches are talking about retirement. Its a changing of the guard in Storrs. Only gripes it that still think the soccer stadium should be built on top of hilltop where the football practice fields are so that both programs can consolidate their footprint - football around Burton and soccer on top of the hill.

Reaction Score
Glad to see it move forward and not surprised that both coaches are talking about retirement. Its a changing of the guard in Storrs. Only gripes it that still think the soccer stadium should be built on top of hilltop where the football practice fields are so that both programs can consolidate their footprint - football around Burton and soccer on top of the hill.
typically the games start at 7pm, lights/noise a problem for the residence halls and the STEM center?

Reaction Score
typically the games start at 7pm, lights/noise a problem for the residence halls and the STEM center?

I can't even recall engineering majors at UConn being in bed before 9 PM back in the day. Unless its an ego issue among donors, which I hope it is not, either 1) UConn has plans for further development where the football practice fields (not noted in the master plan) current are or 2) there is a physical issue with changing the site itself.

Reaction Score
I was on campus tonight and drove by Morrone as the game was going on and I could not believe the crowd they had. The student section seemed bigger than any I've seen at a football game. They had probably as many people total as some AAC home women's bball games. And students were still walking to the stadium in large packs.

I don't know what mystifies me more. How you can play soccer in an atmosphere that electric and not score a goal for the 2nd straight game. Or that they get a crowd that big to show up on a Monday to watch a scoreless tie for 2 + hours. Doesn't seem very desirable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was on campus tonight and drove by Morrone as the game was going on and I could not believe the crowd they had. The student section seemed bigger than any I've seen at a football game. They had probably as many people total as some AAC home women's bball games. And students were still walking to the stadium in large packs.

I don't know what mystifies me more. How you can play soccer in an atmosphere that electric and not score a goal for the 2nd straight game. Or that they get a crowd that big to show up on a Monday to watch a scoreless tie for 2 + hours. Doesn't seem very desirable.

Yes, UConn has issues on offense this season.

But, UConn is a traditional soccer power in the NCAA with a pair of Titles under its belt. I could not find information on 2014; but in 2013, UConn finished second in average attendance at 4,200 per game behind #1UCSB at 5,500. Over the last dozen or so years, I can't remember a season where UConn was not in the Top 10 in attendance along with UCSB, Cal Poly, Maryland, Akron, Indiana, etc.

Its also helped by the fact that UConn is a very 'isolated' and there is little else to do on campus. So even if 10% of the campus is interested, that's 1,800 'captive' fans. It must also be taken into account that soccer is a growing sport and the generation on campus today has not only played soccer, maybe up through high school; but, they have grown up watching the USMNT and USWNT on ESPN and ABC, the Premiership on NBC, etc. My generation was lucky to catch Mexico or Argentina once every 4 years in the World Cup on Univision when we were young. Doesn't hurt that student tickets are cheap, $2?, and general tickets are $4 to $8, can't even go to a movie for that anymore.

Reaction Score
Last nights game was "sold out" . Turned away massive amount of students. Friday was not impressive attendance wise, but was 1st day back and upper classman werent all there and it's party time. On Monday, about midway through 1st half, they stopped letting people in. They should have let kids sit in "reserved" section. I have ST in the reserved section and there was plenty of room for more people. I mean the ticket nazi must have made 100 kids move from the reserved section. I paid for my reserved ST. As long as I have a seat, Fill the place, period... I don't care if students sit there. It's nice to have a mix of adults and students cheering for the team

Refs were horrible for both games. So many missed calls. He couldn't control the game. Almost a bench clearing fight.... Missed holds, penalties in the box etc, wasting time, running the clock down for fake injuries etc.

They need to pay the refs more or find better ones.

Reaction Score

If games were at the Rent how many students would go?

Reaction Score
Refs were horrible for both games. So many missed calls. He couldn't control the game. Almost a bench clearing fight.... Missed holds, penalties in the box etc, wasting time, running the clock down for fake injuries etc.

They need to pay the refs more or find better ones.

Sounds like the FIFA refs are practicing their trade in Storrs in the run-up to the 2018 World Cup :)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

You see, it is this new idea that some colleges and Universities are implementing called playing their sporting events on their campus. Students I think were just shocked to see a real live sporting event taking place in Storrs and decided to wander over to see what all the noise was about. Don't worry however, as once the NASL stadium deal is figured out UConn will rightfully place their soccer games in Hartford where they belong.

-This is not meant as an attack on you but rather as a general funny statement towards the University.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think our Fairfield County friends under estimate the value of the on-campus population

Reaction Score
I think our Fairfield County friends under estimate the value of the on-campus population
Not this one...I live 5 blocks from Greenwich border and I wish they played EVERY sport on campus! Imagine what could be built on campus with that $250 million check to replace the XL Center. I see complete new facilities for basketball, baseball, hockey, softball, and renovation of Field House for track & field.

Reaction Score
Last nights game was "sold out" . Turned away massive amount of students. Friday was not impressive attendance wise, but was 1st day back and upper classman werent all there and it's party time. On Monday, about midway through 1st half, they stopped letting people in. They should have let kids sit in "reserved" section. I have ST in the reserved section and there was plenty of room for more people. I mean the ticket nazi must have made 100 kids move from the reserved section. I paid for my reserved ST. As long as I have a seat, Fill the place, period... I don't care if students sit there. It's nice to have a mix of adults and students cheering for the team

One thing that helped boost attendance last night was that the game was free to UConn students, that plus the end of the first day of school helps to bring the kids in. A few men's soccer games are free to students every season, and that usually includes the first game or two when classes are starting up again. Still, free tickets or no for some people, I have always been impressed with how well the men's soccer team draws.

Reaction Score
Not this one...I live 5 blocks from Greenwich border and I wish they played EVERY sport on campus! Imagine what could be built on campus with that $250 million check to replace the XL Center. I see complete new facilities for basketball, baseball, hockey, softball, and renovation of Field House for track & field.

Nothing can be built on campus that doesn't pass through the Mansfield Town Council. They were prefer that the college was plowed under.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Talk about renovations to on-campus facilties... The Sherman Sports Complex could use a fresh coat of paint. That place is home to the 4x (and 2x defending) National Champions in Field Hockey and the bleachers are covered in sand and dirt from the hillside behind. A perminate fieldhouse-type building could sure be used at that place for the team. Those girls deserve it!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would love it if the eventual goal is to put a ~72k football stadium on campus (actually I would be quite disappointed if this isn't quietly what is planned for some point down the road).

One thing that needs to be pointed out however (not quite as significant a point considering what P/GDL did to the football program) is that if the football stadium was on campus (as opposed to a very accessible, centrally located spot) it is highly unlikely that we would have had crowds of much more than 30k-32k at any point in the program's PBS development. We need to build a sustainable fan base first. Once we do this, we can consider moving the product to Storrs.

Reaction Score
When you build the nicest facility in the country, it might be smart to have some kind of dedicated TV booth on the side opposite the stands, so that the stadium can pop out to viewers who see a TV game there once or twice a year. Yep, a big luxury just for one or two TV games, but why not show it off.

Reaction Score
Nothing can be built on campus that doesn't pass through the Mansfield Town Council. They were prefer that the college was plowed under.

Simply not true.

This is in TRANSITION. I have been near negotiations that UConn is taking back the entitlement authority from the Town. They did not have to cede this to the town on State land; but, they have let the Town lead the process since Celeron Square in 1985. For the pace that is coming ... they simply are setting up a new process.

Reaction Score
Talk about renovations to on-campus facilties... The Sherman Sports Complex could use a fresh coat of paint. That place is home to the 4x (and 2x defending) National Champions in Field Hockey and the bleachers are covered in sand and dirt from the hillside behind. A perminate fieldhouse-type building could sure be used at that place for the team. Those girls deserve it!

As of the last master plan, Sherman, or at least the field and track portion of it, is going to be dug-up with parking going under a new field and track. BU did something similar with New Balance Field.

http://www.bu.edu/facilities/project/new-balance-field/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul