New pro fb league an alternative to college? | The Boneyard

New pro fb league an alternative to college?

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sounds like it wouldn't be interesting to watch.

Also sounds like it's focused on developing offensive players. Doesn't seem an LB, safety or even a CB is going to get a ton of useful experience in a game that bans crossing patterns.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the NFL has a draft problem. They get public universities to develop and market their new talent for at least 3 years for free.

If someone comes along and provides another pool of talent, I'm sure they will gladly take those players as well.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of the league, it gives a route to the pros for the kids who may struggle to get into college or who end up going to JUCO

Reaction Score
This paragraph from the linked article needs to be fleshed out more:

"Players can participate only in their first four years out of high school. This is an alternative to college. While the NFL still requires a draft-eligible prospect to be three years removed from his final year of high school, Pac Pro will allow players to join right out of high school, or after a year or two at a major college, junior college or whatever."

I assume once they play a down (and receive a check) in PacPro they can't go back/go to to an NCAA school and play?

Another article I read earlier: Tom Brady's Agent Is Starting a Pro Football League for College-Age Players

Reaction Score
What kid struggles to get into FSU, OU/OSU, Alabama, Auburn, TN, Ole Miss or LSU? 6th grade is a more challenging curriculum than being a football player at these places

I like the idea of the league, it gives a route to the pros for the kids who may struggle to get into college or who end up going to JUCO

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
In theory this sounds like a good idea, at least, in terms of helping get players prepared for the NFL. But what are these kids expected to do the rest of the year? Obviously they need to continue training/working out, but I mean wouldn't they also be forced to get some kind of job? Hard to live off 50k without any source of income from August-June...

Personally, I would find it hard to believe that anybody would prefer to do that than go to college, where they may not be able to profit, but their lives are essentially paid for.

However, I could see it being beneficial to players that want to leave college a year early specifically to train for the NFL and limit risk of injury.

Reaction Score
Fact is ... and you can see this by the chart the NY Post had last week ... helluva lot of NFL players do not come through the draft now. Giants had a ton of undrafted Free Agents - like Andrew Adams. This makes up a large segment of that Pro league.

Same in the NBA - like Ollie - we get a good 20-30% come from a non-draft route.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Fact is ... and you can see this by the chart the NY Post had last week ... helluva lot of NFL players do not come through the draft now. Giants had a ton of undrafted Free Agents - like Andrew Adams. This makes up a large segment of that Pro league.

Same in the NBA - like Ollie - we get a good 20-30% come from a non-draft route.
Yes they may not come through the draft, but they still went to college. My understanding of this league is that this would be instead of college, not as an alternative league for those who do not get drafted after four years of college.

Reaction Score
I read something recently that the NFL is exploring a developmental league sort of like the defunct UFL.

Reaction Score
Some of these kids will likely take a pay cut going to this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom