New offer out for 2014 PG Devin Watson | The Boneyard

New offer out for 2014 PG Devin Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems to have had a decent weekend:

• Devin Watson, PG, Earl Watson Pangos Elite – The wiry lead guard did it all for Ryan Silver’s bunch in an evening game against Double Pump N Run. Watson has very good speed and was able to get into the paint. Once there he dropped in floaters, hit pull-up jumpers and dished out the ball to open teammates. On top of that, he also worked a couple of off the dribble three-pointers.

Reaction Score
And from July 21:
  • Devin Watson, a 5-foot-10 point guard at Army and Navy Academy in Carlsbad, Calif., has performed well on a big stage in July and picked up offers from Loyola Marymount, Oregon State, San Diego and UTEP. He said Connecticut and Gonzaga are becoming more involved.

Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of this. Either the kid is way way better than his ranking or maybe the coaches know something about Terrence Samuel that we don't? Might even just have been misreported or a miscommunication. No point in stressing over these types of things though

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of this. Either the kid is way way better than his ranking or maybe the coaches know something about Terrence Samuel that we don't? Might even just have been misreported or a miscommunication. No point in stressing over these types of things though

I'll speculate on two possibilities. Attends Attendsba quasi-mil prep school and it's possible he hadn't played the big events before this summer.

Second, maybe he's a late bloomer and the recruiting rankings aren't reflective of his current skill level.

Reaction Score
You can see him guarding, or trying to guard Perkins early on in the video...........

Reaction Score
He was watched a bunch of times over the live periods. I trust the staff on their decision to offer him.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
This is one of those moves that tells us things are not looking that great about signing either Perkins or McLaughlin. Oh well, maybe he could be another diamond in the rough who stays a while and can be the glue guy. He's very short and I was hoping we could get a PG with some more size, but he did look like he had some stockiness and strength to him. Hard to tell much from the video.

Reaction Score
I like him. With Samuel, Purvis, and Dham, this guy wouldn't be a bad pick up at all. Especially if we land a good 4 (Abu) or a guy like DRob or Oubre.

Reaction Score
This is one of those moves that tells us things are not looking that great about signing either Perkins or McLaughlin.
Yup. Especially given our reported recent interest in Pinckney, Baldwin and Zabo as well. All three of those guys - now four counting Watson - are outside most Top 100 lists.

Hard to tell much from the video.

You can tell that the kid has trouble picking out passes in traffic, which jibes with the ESPN scouting report (I know, I know).

Anyway, I'm not going to panic - I trust the staff more than my own eyes. And I don't doubt that KO will be able to mold even an average prospect into an excellent college point guard. But I have to admit, I want (and kind of expect) to get a future star.

Reaction Score
This is one of those moves that tells us things are not looking that great about signing either Perkins or McLaughlin. Oh well, maybe he could be another diamond in the rough who stays a while and can be the glue guy. He's very short and I was hoping we could get a PG with some more size, but he did look like he had some stockiness and strength to him. Hard to tell much from the video.

I do wonder if it's a coincidence that the decision to offer this kid coincided with Joseph cutting us from his list. It could be that the staff viewed Joseph as their most realistic option and they decided to move swiftly once it became apparent he wouldn't be coming here.

But the optimist in me tells me that offering this kid probably has little bearing on the Perkins and McLaughlin recruitments, because we have plenty of scholarships to offer and we're going to need a backup plan regardless of what position we're in with either of those two kids. It isn't as if Perkins or McLaughlin would have any reserves about competing against a lower ranked kid for minutes if they wanted to come here, and as far as I can tell, we're in good shape to at least get visits from both of them. Granted, we're probably not in the driver's seat with these kids, or even riding shotgun, but I'm confident in Ollie's ability to make up ground with his natural ability to inspire people.

Reaction Score
I think Devin played for the San Diego All Stars (SDA pump n run) prior to this year and he has been playing in the big events for a few years. But SDA doesn't get quite the publicity that the Pangos team is getting. Pangos (run by Ryan Silver) is an offshoot of Belmont Shore/Full Court Press (run by Dinos Trigonis, also runs Fab48). Silver has been a prominent name in SoCal hoops for a few years and is doing an excellent job with the Pangos teams. Having seen Devin and almost all of the other SoCal 2014 PGs play for the past few years, I think he was just undervalued because he was a San Diego County kid. He is the same level as the kid going to U Arizona (Parker Cartwright) and is as good or better than the kid that committed to ASU (Tra Holder). He definitely deserves a look.

My unsolicited personal ranking of the 2014 SoCal PGS (most of whom I have seen play in either HS or AAU/Club games):
1) Jordan McLaughlin (just more athletic and tougher than Parker)
2) Parker (excellent player...but very fragile, the best PG defender I have seen at the HS level)
2a) Devin (does everything well..., but stronger than Tra)
3) Kyron Cartwright (based on reputation, haven't seen him play)
4) Tra Holder (does everything well)
5) Maleke Haynes (very good, but relaxes too often and then gets beat)
6) Victor Joseph (broad array of shots, can score or assist whenever he wants, gets loose with the ball at times)
7) Taelin Webb (he was towards the top, but he's either been hurt or transferred)
8) Justin Bibbins (very very quick)
9) Robert Cartwright (the best shooter, good size, not fast, not the best defender)
10) Ajon Efferson (good shooter, not very quick, strong, good handle)

Tyler Dorsey (2015) and Derryck Thornton (2016) may be better than all of them.

Reaction Score
Update:
trigonis30
Looking like Pangos Elite 2014 PG Devin Watson's final 2 are gonna be Oregon State (has officially visited) & UConn
8/16/13 9:21 PM

Reaction Score
I sorta think we swing and miss on JM and Perkins, so if this kid is still developing physically, that's a nice pick up. Hard work beats talent when it doesn't work hard.

Reaction Score
Earl Watsons son? I sorta think we swing and miss on JM and Perkins, so if this kid is still developing physically, that's a nice pick up. Hard work beats talent when it doesn't work hard.

Not his son, just plays on his AAU team. Pomona's post has me very intrigued, having him on par with Jackson-Cartwright and Holder(who was killing in the spring before he committed to ASU) says alot. The only thing is it appears he's close to a decision, while Snider seems a ways off with him still having 3 more officials to schedule. I definitely would rather have Snider but if Watson wants to come how does the staff handle that, tell him to wait until they hear on Snider?

Reaction Score
I forget about snider. hopefully our current freshman pg becomes eligible, he looks like a better prospect than any of these pgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom