New Offensive Coordinator! Rhett Lashlee of Auburn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

New Offensive Coordinator! Rhett Lashlee of Auburn

Reaction Score
A very insightful article from an Auburn blog with thoughts on why Rhett made the move.
Auburn Offensive Coordinator Rhett Lashlee Hired as UConn Offensive Coordinator
There might have been "creative" differences between the HC and Lashlee and as we all know that can break up the best of bands. Great news for UConn. Have my fingers crossed that Randy and the rest of the staff "to be named later" can find a way to get that offensive line competing at a Div 1 level. That's the real key to success. You can bring in the greatest football minds in the business but if nobody blocks on offense then it'll just be a mirror of the last 6 years.

Reaction Score
I knocked the Randy hire and was working on accepting it. This is awesome and don't even care who the DC is we gawna score some dam points !!!!!!!! Go Huskies

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Pretty funny. They seem to assume he came here as HC.

On autigers.com message board, the mood seems to be "good riddance." One guy called it a "quiet firing." They liked him as a person, not so much as an OC.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Is it s spread or a spread offense with a zone read? The spread used to be like a hurry up 2 minute drill with mostly passing.

Those spread/zone read type offenses are now designed to run first out of what looks like a passing formation.

We need a high FBIQ QB to run it. We shall see.
It doesn't matter; it's officially an offense now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fantastic day for UConn sports all around. Great hire. I do like that he's a power running game guy.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ahh, now the move makes more sense. There was some obvious tension between Lashlee and Malzahn and the young buck wanted a chance to get out from under the older man's shadow and show what he could do on his own. A familiar story. And AD Dave must have known about it before heading to UConn. He just kept it in his back pocket, just in case. Still, it's a gutsy move for Lashlee and his young family taking the $250k haircut. But with young kids he maybe figured, if not now, when would be a better time to take the chance?

Theo/Lucchino

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I know its only January 11th, but depending on how this season turns out we could already have our "Post of the Year" winner.
Points off for the typo.

Reaction Score
Solid resume, this will be quite a culture shock for him going from the South to Connecticut. Its an unconventional move but great for us. He played under Malzahn in high school, and coached under him his whole career, perhaps it was just time for him to have some space from Malzahn.

Rhett Lashlee - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
Offensive players wanting to play for an SEC OC can now come to UConn. Jordan McAfee, our 6' 4" 220 lb incoming freshman dual threat QB from State Champion Everett MA HS is very excited. Redshirt is likely, but under Lashlee s tutelage, he just might become our version of Cam Newton?! It probably won't be long before we're toilet-papering the UConn oak tree on campus!

Reaction Score
Offensive players wanting to play for an SEC OC can now come to UConn. Jordan McAfee, our 6' 4" 220 lb incoming freshman dual threat QB from State Champion Everett MA HS is very excited. Redshirt is likely, but under Lashlee s tutelage, he just might become our version of Cam Newton?! It probably won't be long before we're toilet-papering the UConn oak tree on campus!
I like this idea.

Reaction Score
The press release emphasizes "base" salary of $350k. I wouldn't be surprised if there are achievable incentives to make it closer to $450k-$500k.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm willing to bet he's getting full autonomy of the offense and a heavily incentivise contract (similar to Kiffin at FIU)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
There has to be more to this story than what's being reported. Nobody takes a $250k cut in salary without some serious motivation to make a move like this one. Was Auburn going to can him?

At any rate, who cares? It looks like AD Dave has hit a home run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom