New Mexico State and Idaho's Sun Belt Future | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Mexico State and Idaho's Sun Belt Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
BC: "Maybe we can steal a team we can beat..."

Can't see BC wanting to steal NMSU after they scheduled a home and home with them and NMSU bought out their game at BC :p

Drew

Reaction Score
If Idaho is unsuccessful I could really see them moving to FCS. I think NMSU has a much better chance of remaining FBS than Idaho does

Drew

Reaction Score
Both are expected to be voted out of the league today at a teleconference. These might be the only 2 schools who wind up with a worse result than UConn from re-alignment (might be forced into FCS)

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Honestly, the level of competition (at least in football) is probably superior in the Big Sky

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is a decent chance the MWC is looking for members in the near future.

Drew

Reaction Score
Idaho is officially dropping to FCS tomorrow:

Source: Idaho to drop to FCS - Official announcement tomorrow - FootballScoop

Source: Idaho to drop to FCS – Official announcement tomorrow

ByScott Roussel
Posted on April 27, 2016

http://i0./footballscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/IdahoFootball.jpg?resize=620%2C303

Tomorrow, University of Idaho President Chuck Staben will make an announcement regarding the future of Vandal football.

On March 1st, the Sunbelt announced that following the 2017 season, the conference would not be renewing Idaho’s football only membership (New Mexico State was voted out as well). Given the lack of a future conference affiliation, speculation grew that Idaho would seek to find a more local schedule, likely by dropping down to FCS play.

FCS sources tell FootballScoop this is the route Idaho intends to move and the official conference affiliation will be announced tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Idaho is officially dropping to FCS tomorrow:

Source: Idaho to drop to FCS - Official announcement tomorrow - FootballScoop

Source: Idaho to drop to FCS – Official announcement tomorrow

ByScott Roussel
Posted on April 27, 2016

http://i0./footballscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/IdahoFootball.jpg?resize=620%2C303

Tomorrow, University of Idaho President Chuck Staben will make an announcement regarding the future of Vandal football.

On March 1st, the Sunbelt announced that following the 2017 season, the conference would not be renewing Idaho’s football only membership (New Mexico State was voted out as well). Given the lack of a future conference affiliation, speculation grew that Idaho would seek to find a more local schedule, likely by dropping down to FCS play.

FCS sources tell FootballScoop this is the route Idaho intends to move and the official conference affiliation will be announced tomorrow.

Feel bad for them; but, I think its the right move. They are in a small market with limited resources and most of those resources, both public and private, are funneled Boise St. Dropping down to FCS also gains them some decent local rivalries with comparable schools in E Washington, Montana, Montana St, Idaho St, Weber St & Portland St. etc.

Reaction Score
Sad indeed , a local boyhood hero of mine and neighbor was received a scholarship to Idaho,he played there. So I always had a soft sport for them.i beliece when he played they were the number one football school in that state. Boise State came out of nowhere.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big Sky is 45 scholarships a team, right? That is 40 less student-athletes getting a college education.

Reaction Score
The Big Sky is 45 scholarships a team, right? That is 40 less student-athletes getting a college education.

No, Idaho in the Big Sky will be able to have up to 63 scholarships spread among 85 players (the D-I common thread) just like when UConn was D-I FCS.

Reaction Score
In the interest of full disclosure, a friend who is a Montana alum wants the entire Big Sky Conference to elevate to FBS status. My reply was, if it ever happened I would cede the Boise Bowl to the Big Sky.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
In the interest of full disclosure, a friend who is a Montana alum wants the entire Big Sky Conference to elevate to FBS status. My reply was, if it ever happened I would cede the Boise Bowl to the Big Sky.
I've heard this before: apparently the outgoing commish (Fullerton) has said something of a similar effect. However, I just don't see the current Group of 5 conferences signing up to share the pie with anyone else. If anything, it would be more likely that the 4 bigger G5 conferences would try to figure out a way to get rid of the Sun Belt.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's interesting considering a few Big Sky schools (Montana, Eastern Washington Cal Davis, North Dakota) along with a couple other schools (South Dakota, South Dakota St) were approached by the WAC when that conference was about to disintegrate.

I've always wondered what would have happened if the leadership of the state of Texas (which forced Baylor in the B-12 two decades ago in allowing the Texas state schools to merge conferences with the B-8) required that they leave the SWC (and its history) behind for the remaining Texas schools (SMU, TCU, Rice & Houston). That conference could have added schools like Tulsa, Tulane (now in the ACC), New Mexico, New Mexica St, instead of the WAC (in a fit o ridiculous ambition) growing to 16 schools (and almost immediately dividing into different cliques, splitting a few years later with the Mountain West), which eventually led to the WAC's demise. A surviving SWC may have also saved the WAC.

Drew

Reaction Score
That's interesting considering a few Big Sky schools (Montana, Eastern Washington Cal Davis, North Dakota) along with a couple other schools (South Dakota, South Dakota St) were approached by the WAC when that conference was about to disintegrate.

I've always wondered what would have happened if the leadership of the state of Texas (which forced Baylor in the B-12 two decades ago in allowing the Texas state schools to merge conferences with the B-8) required that they leave the SWC (and its history) behind for the remaining Texas schools (SMU, TCU, Rice & Houston). That conference could have added schools like Tulsa, Tulane (now in the ACC), New Mexico, New Mexica St, instead of the WAC (in a fit o ridiculous ambition) growing to 16 schools (and almost immediately dividing into different cliques, splitting a few years later with the Mountain West), which eventually led to the WAC's demise. A surviving SWC may have also saved the WAC.

Are you kidding me? The ACC added Tulane and Tulsa over us?!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Oops...........

Reaction Score
The Big Sky would be the MAC of the west. Definitely a higher ceiling as of now than the MAC. Way overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom