New Commit: Bryan Cespedes' OT (CT) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Commit: Bryan Cespedes' OT (CT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller8:54pm via TweetDeck
High school coach believes #UConn getting "a monster" and "a steal" in New London OT Bryan Cespedes runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/10/hs-coa…

>>The 6-foot-7, 260-pound Cespedes began his high school career at Grasso Tech and when he transferred to New London after his sophomore season he came out for the New London football team. Maranda could see the potential in the inexperienced Cespedes and believes that the three-sport high school athlete could be "a monster" once he gets to UConn, concentrates on football and the strength and conditioning coaches get to work with him. "He reminds me of (former Waterford High lineman) Zach Hurd and he is bigger than Zach was at (as a high school senior)," Maranda said. "Zach had a great career there and even got to the NFL."<<

>>Maranda was extremely impressed with the "thoroughness" of the UConn coaches during the recruiting process. While they came to New London games and watched film, Maranda said they were just as concerned with what made Cespedes tick as Bob Diaco and his staff made it clear that they value high-character kids as they try to build a winning atmosphere in the locker room.<<

Reaction Score
High school coach believes #UConn getting "a monster" and "a steal" in New London OT Bryan Cespedes runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/10/hs-coa…

>>The 6-foot-7, 260-pound Cespedes began his high school career at Grasso Tech and when he transferred to New London after his sophomore season he came out for the New London football team. Maranda could see the potential in the inexperienced Cespedes and believes that the three-sport high school athlete could be "a monster" once he gets to UConn, concentrates on football and the strength and conditioning coaches get to work with him. "He reminds me of (former Waterford High lineman) Zach Hurd and he is bigger than Zach was at (as a high school senior)," Maranda said. "Zach had a great career there and even got to the NFL."<<

Love those quotes, and I am actually seeing structure to this recruiting class. The staff is finding high character dedicated players with above average athleticism for their projected positions. Get them in the S&C program, and they will come out monsters.

I have watched the highlights of these recruits, and there is a lot to like. I don't care who offered.

Cespedes has everything you look for in a "Dancing Bear" (as my high school O Line coach used to call O Lineman). He has athleticism and quick feet. His coach implied his weight room experience is limited because he started playing as a junior. And that can be fixed. I think we got a good one here. A real good one.

Reaction Score
Love those quotes, and I am actually seeing structure to this recruiting class. The staff is finding high character dedicated players with above average athleticism for their projected positions. Get them in the S&C program, and they will come out monsters.

I have watched the highlights of these recruits, and there is a lot to like. I don't care who offered.

Cespedes has everything you look for in a "Dancing Bear" (as my high school O Line coach used to call O Lineman). He has athleticism and quick feet. His coach implied his weight room experience is limited because he started playing as a junior. And that can be fixed. I think we got a good one here. A real good one.

Totally agree with you. The locker room/talent level/culture won't be changed over night. While there are moments when this team seems like it's turning the corner, it would appear that overall the winning culture hasn't been present through good and tough times. This team will grow. They will mature and with some new blood with each recruiting class we will see a much more competitive and successful football team on the field.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm 38, don't think that will happen in my lifetime with out of staters, but it can happen with the CT kids IMO.
I've got you by about fourteen years. My point is that we need far more than merely in state kids to succeed. If we were in Florida, Texas or eve Ohio, it would be different.

Reaction Score

>>Maranda was extremely impressed with the "thoroughness" of the UConn coaches during the recruiting process. While they came to New London games and watched film, Maranda said they were just as concerned with what made Cespedes tick as Bob Diaco and his staff made it clear that they value high-character kids as they try to build a winning atmosphere in the locker room.<<

In the coaches I trust. Hopefully there are more Cepedes out there, even if they "do not have good feet" ;)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ahhhhhh I really don't want to say this but I'm not impressed at all, don't get me wrong, I love his height and the fact that he is always looking for someone to hit but there are many more negatives. technique is awful, he is slow off the snap and was consistently getting beat up field by smaller weaker opponents. Yes it was nice to see him rag doll people but when they're kids half your size it leaves me cautious. Hopefully a red shirt his freshmen yr and TONS of work with position coach and maybe by his Jr yr he will be ready.

The kid is 17 years old. Get him in the weight room, pack another 40 lbs on him, and practice for two years (assuming a red shirt), then reevaluate your opinion. Stars dont make a bit of difference once you cross the GAME sideline.

Reaction Score
Read the thread. No one is suggesting he is anywhere near a finished product, ready to contribute from day one or a five star recruit. Instead he fits the profile of other linemen who have been successful at UConn. Namely Will Beatty, starting left OT of the NY Giants and Zach Hurd who has played in the NFL. Taller, lankier kids with room to grow and add on good weight, that move well. Moving well doesn't mean the kid has perfect OL technique or footwork, just that he isn't laboring to get out of his stance or change direction. We haven't had as much luck with gargantuan type HS linemen as we have with the raw athletic, room to grow kids.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We do not have the luxury of recruiting slam-dunk sure thing O-Lineman. We have to work harder. If the coaches think this young man can be taught and will work hard to develop physically- good enough for me. The folks criticizing a 17 year old are pathetic losers.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The only thing a reasonable fan can do is hope that both he and the coaching staff are completely bought into doing whatever it takes to make him a quality player by the time he graduates. Sheesh, I thought you guys at least let kids enroll in school before bashing them...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
And why is that? Cuz I am honest? I just said what I saw, I didn't say he is an POS and should never have even been offered. Actually the contrary I said with a lot of work he would start as a Jr which as an oline men is not a slight at all. I didn't know we had to handle everyone with kid gloves all the time.

You know nothing about the player, but yet you spout off like your an expert.
This is is second year of playing football. His upside is very high and you can't teach his size and athletic ability

Big time lineman in high school have the the largest bust rate in college

Reaction Score
Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it. Very weak.
What don't you get? He hasn't played, lifted, trained or been coached. He is a project, a piece of clay the staff thinks can become a work of art..

Reaction Score
While I appreciate the passion of my fellow UCONN fans and their knowledge of football (I'm only a fan and never actually played organized ball), it seems to me that if Diaco and his staff (very experienced) think that Bryan can become a player and is worthy of a scholarship, then he must be. I'm certain that they know more about football then my fellow 'Yarders do. They have, no doubt, seen the same tapes that we have seen and yet they still believe that Bryan can become a player (with lots of hard work). I trust in their opinion.

We have to understand that, at the moment, we aren't going to get highly rated players but rather underappreciated ones who need time to develop. As the program improves (and hopefully gets into a better conference, we can recruit and land better players.

Reaction Score
Very poor fundamentals. Awful technique ! Physically weak

The first two are fair comments, but it's already been established that he's raw. Yes, he bends at the waist terribly in his stance, which inhibits his ability to get off the line. He seems to move well once he gets his legs underneath him and uses his size to gain leverage once engaged. Technique can be coached.

The comment about strength is way out of left field and entirely unsupportable. There simply isn't enough in those videos to judge one way or the other. I'll leave it to the people who have watched him in person to judge whether he's strong enough.

Reaction Score
I love the analysis by folks who have no clue what they are analyzing. Probably a close runner-up to folks taking anonymous pot shots at teenagers. Just plain cheesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom